Sword RF-84F colour call-outs

dalea

I can't find my Vingtor sheet at the moment, but Sword would have you use on SW 72117,  Gloss Dark Grey, Gloss Extra Dark Sea Grey, over Gloss Light Grey. Is " Gloss Dark Grey" a misprint for 

"Gloss Dark Green"? 

Gloss Dark Grey would be a misprint for Gloss Dark Green in that call out.

I don't have the time to look out my Vingtor sheet right now but I'm not sure that Extra Dark Sea Grey is right for a Norwegian jet either, I thought they were in Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue or Light Grey depending upon the time frame?  But I'm relying on memory and would need to check.

I know the Dutch use EDSG on their F/RF-84F's but this is recorded as a Dutch specific requirement in the excellent Dutch Decals monograph on the F/RF-84F in Dutch Service because the felt a darker scheme was more appropriate for their operating area.

If Vingtor call out ESDG over DSG then I have absolute faith that they will have researched the subject thoroughly and EDSG it is.  If nobody else chimes in I'll check it out later when I get back from work.

EDIT:  I've just looked at the Vingtor instruction profiles on the Big H's website and it would appear that the profiles are in DG/ESDG over PRU Blue or LG.

Edited by Wez
Further information

By the end of the 1950s, most NATO low-level reconnaissance aircraft were camouflaged according to NATO Standard No. 3083 “Colouring and markings of aircraft for Tactical Reconnaissance“. The RNAF first decided to not paint their Thunderflashes, but eventually gave in to pressure from the Allied Forces Northern Europe (AFNORTH). The upper surfaces were thus painted in NATO Dark Green (FS 24079 / 24064) and NATO Dark Grey (FS 26118 / 26152), with NATO PRU Blue (FS 25109) undersides. The paintwork was performed by Avio-Diepen at Ypenburg Air Base in the Netherlands. Around 1962, the lower surfaces were painted Aluminium, with a hard demarcation line to the upper surface colours.

Nils

• Like 2

Please note that the decals in the kit are for a (assumably) repainted retired aircraft. All operational camouflaged RNAF RF-84Fs had white outlined national insignia.

Nils

Interestingly, I saw a picture of a Norwegian RF-84F at Avio Diepen in an all over dark green scheme, reminiscent of the Danish scheme of the seventies/eighties. I'll look it up, it was in one of the 'European Military Aviation Scenes' books.

I know nothing about this, Giorgio, but I would not rule it out. The FS numbers that I refer to are my own matches from an aircraft at the Gardermoen mueum, still in its original paint.

55 minutes ago, ivand said:

Interestingly, I saw a picture of a Norwegian RF-84F at Avio Diepen in an all over dark green scheme, reminiscent of the Danish scheme of the seventies/eighties. I'll look it up, it was in one of the 'European Military Aviation Scenes' books.

Was this a period photo? The only green Norwegian RF-84F is one that was painted up at the Warbirds of Norway Museum at Torp a couple of years ago, with Aluminium undersides. It has since been repainted in green and grey.

Nils

19 minutes ago, ivand said:

The aircraft is in standard NATO camouflage, there's just not much contrast between the colours.

That's because the NATO standard colours were Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey and PRU Blue or Aluminium which offers a much higher contrast between the the upper surface colours than the Dark Green/Extra Dark Sea Grey used by the Dutch and evidently the Norwegians.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ivand said:

Euhrm, it was a period photo and I was totally wrong... 🙄 The aircraft is in standard NATO camouflage, there's just not much contrast between the colours. I noticed my mistake when I looked at it in daylight. Sorry!

https://i.postimg.cc/jjRVZqy2/20180923_141642.jpg

And the photo shows that I was wrong in saying that all camouflaged aircraft had a white outline to the national insignia. This one apparently does not.

Nils