1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21UM "Mongol-B" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - Sabrekits MiG-21U "Mongol-A" (Bílek plastic) boxing

Homebee

57 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I now have it on back order at the Big H :) BUT is it a new tool or is it the same one that was released a year or so ago in a different boxing? 

That's THE unanswered question for now.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=3782969.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I would not hold my breath expecting new tool. The same question (RV moulds/new tool) had been asked about their previous Fishbed releases. The answer was "new tool". And when the kit was out and it was clear it is from the old RV moulds (possibly cleaned?), the inquiries in the lines "what did you mean by new-tool" were tacitly ignored.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Patrik said:

I would not hold my breath expecting new tool. The same question (RV moulds/new tool) had been asked about their previous Fishbed releases. The answer was "new tool". And when the kit was out and it was clear it is from the old RV moulds (possibly cleaned?), the inquiries in the lines "what did you mean by new-tool" were tacitly ignored.

I fear that you are correct, Patrik :(

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21UM "Mongol-B" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - re-release in February 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21UM "Mongol-B" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - Sabrekits MiG-21U "Mongol-A" boxing

Sabrekits boxing

- ref. SBK7019 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-21U "Mongol-A"

Sources: 

https://shop.sabrekits.cz/11018,cz_mig-21u-mongol-a.html

https://www.facebook.com/Sabrekits.cz/posts/pfbid02dawGsn66XozxDabqJfooGCszEHdZe3muzeqnTRapKynkNNUUdyg4Q7J2Yxz7rgBXl

https://www.facebook.com/Sabrekits.cz/posts/pfbid013Pv96FD7iXWcigJbnBhHCzyLiZxDrExnGLUQmnCtpguDUnrduTcgo6SLFqtgpMil

New on our e-shop, this is a Mongola A cover from Bílek company including the original decal variants of Czech Republic, NDR and USSR supplemented by Finnish and Polish decals from our company. The instruction includes correction of the SOP size for the Czechoslovak variant

293464767-582723456861006-29728618622621

297946241-578938747290914-60637854657684

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Homebee said:

The text from Sabrekits you have quoted mention Bilek as the origin of this kit so I guess this is not a rebox of the Kovozavody/RV kit..

The Bilek kit IIRC included parts for both the U and UM variants

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The text from Sabrekits you have quoted mention Bilek as the origin of this kit so I guess this is not a rebox of the Kovozavody/RV kit..

It does, Giorgio, but it is a poor kit compared with the KP. The KP on its own is fine but can be improved. If a Mongol-A is wanted a bit of butchery and Eduard parts can get you there.

Martin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It does, Giorgio, but it is a poor kit compared with the KP. The KP on its own is fine but can be improved. If a Mongol-A is wanted a bit of butchery and Eduard parts can get you there.

Martin

Agree with that Martin!

The presence on the sprues of parts for all variants though is something that would allow Sabrekits to reissue it for a MiG-21U easily, while the KP kit would require a new fuselage, one more reason for me to think that this is the Bilek kit

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21UM "Mongol-B" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - Sabrekits MiG-21U "Mongol-A" (Bilek plastic) boxing
44 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Agree with that Martin!

The presence on the sprues of parts for all variants though is something that would allow Sabrekits to reissue it for a MiG-21U easily, while the KP kit would require a new fuselage, one more reason for me to think that this is the Bilek kit

Agreed, Giorgio. It wouldn’t be my route to getting a Mongol-A, though. I still have the Bilek in my loft and I don’t think it will see the light of day now ;).

Martin

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21UM "Mongol-B" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - Sabrekits MiG-21U "Mongol-A" (Bílek plastic) boxing
8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Hi Gi8orgio & all,

In fact Bilek U and UM shares the same fuselage: US/UM afterburner and dorsal spine what is too big for U and too small for US/UM... Unfortunately the same problem with the RV/KP UMs too. 

Bilek U has both narrow and wide-chord fins and mirrorless rear canopy. Probaly all double-seater MiG-21 kits has too narrow windscreen. RV/KP might be narrowest.

So no easy way to get an accurate Mongol. One alternative might be cross-kitting with Eduard PF or PFM depending the variant wanted. At least Bilek markings selection looks interesting (for me).

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

So no easy way to get an accurate Mongol. One alternative might be cross-kitting with Eduard PF or PFM depending the variant wanted. At least Bilek markings selection looks interesting (for me).

Cheers,

AaCee

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Martin,

I didn't remember your beautiful UM.

In fact I was thinking to use front fuselage and appropriately modified spine with rest from the suitable Eduard single-seater variant. Maybe I have to have a second look for those various kits.

Cheers,

AaCee

7 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Martin,

I didn't remember your beautiful UM.

In fact I was thinking to use front fuselage and appropriately modified spine with rest from the suitable Eduard single-seater variant. Maybe I have to have a second look for those various kits.

Cheers,

AaCee

Thanks mate. The only thing is would do differently is to use the Eduard nosewheel leg. I use the KP and the wheel is slightly too big I my view.