Polikarpov iL-400b, Maquette / ICM 1/72

Tweener

Picked up a cheap kit online to verify my Uni address, the ICM 1/72 Polikarpov I-1 in a Maquette Box. For 6$, it looks a treat so far, with the exception of the wings that are far more complicated than need be. For whichever reason, it was decided to split the wing lengthwise, and that means an unfillable line is created. At least it fits well. The plan is to finish it in plain Aluminum - Green over Blue looks nice but I haven't either color on hand. 

Little has been done so far other than the construction of one wing and the mounting of the top of the engine block to the left fuselage. The interior is simple so it shouldn't take long to close her up.

More to come tomorrow.

Thanks, Tweener

Polikarpov I-1 WIP

Polikarpov I-1 WIP

Polikarpov I-1 WIPPolikarpov I-1 WIP

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Good luck in your build, I think any dark green and any light blue will be enough for this model.

The closest I could do would be olive drab over aluminum, so I'm rolling with aluminum. I plan to buy a second one of these kits once I found a job at Uni and will be Green over Blue.

8 hours ago, Killingholme said:

What a stupid place to put a mould seam!!

It really does bewilder me, there is no apparent reason for it other than that it may have been an attempt to keep the trailing edges thin. I think sanding the inside would have been far easier than filling such a line!

In other news, I just purchased the old Nokotne Tupolev ANT-5 / I4. I plan to build it as the ANT-5 to keep painting simple. I think it will look nice next to the iL-400B.

• Like 1

Polikarpov iL-400B

More progress: Basic Airframe is all built and some paint is down. Now I just need to fill the gaps at the top of the spine and the bottom of the rear fuselage. Paint the wheels, add the tail skid, drop 2 decals slide on the prop and windscreen, and it'll be done!

In other news, I received the Nakotne Polikarpov AHT-5 / I-4 / I-4Z today, it's a beauty! I will be buying a newer Zvezda boxing as soon as I get the chance - I want to, in time, model all three variants of the plane and maybe add the I-3 and early I-5 to the mix as well. I may have said I would be building american planes but who ever said I had good focus?

That's all for now, Thanks, Tweener

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 3