Are all Airbrush needles the same?

rockpopandchips

I ask as I have ordered a very cheap brush from China ( before they close the borders in the UK) just for fun really.  One of These

And I was thinking how much difference does the needle make, so I ordered the 0.2 brush so I can try out my H&S needle in the cheep brush and the cheep needle in the H&S. Not even sure they will fit but what the hell, anyone know if needles of the same size are interchangeable?

Brian.

I can't speak for the H&S needles, but I did try out the needle of a cheap Chinese airbrush in my Badger 150 and the needle fitted well enough (though it was a bit longer, not enough to make a difference) but the taper on the needle was a different length so it produced a different (and unsatisfactory) spray pattern. Give it a try anyway, as long as the diameter is the same all you risk is disappointment... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Another issue is the needles aren't finished to the same quality. Have a close look with a magnifying glass and they are usually rough as old ****holes.

I polish mine with Tamiya Fine polishing compound. The more you polish, the smoother they get, the better the spray pattern. 

• Like 1

They vary a lot, taper angle, surface finish, diameter, and taper profile.

But yes most .2 will be a 1.2mm shaft

And basically they will work. How well??? That's always the question.

Doesn't make as much difference as nozzles usually but it does make a significant difference. 

Chinese nozzles usually fit iwata HP plus or procon boys ( which use identical nozzles). But the Chinese nozzles are horrible.

• Like 1