The Killer Destroyer (1/72 Xtrakit Spitfire XII)

Procopius

Echo what the others have said. The painted roundels set the builds off. Certainly something that isn't mastered over night as the other posters have remarked, but you have "done yourself proud" in that regard. It is something I have yet to try (I confess to being a tad scared). I must second Cookie's opinion of the XVI. It looks superb and you've got me itching to build a silver spit (I do have the Eduard XVI in the stash).

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

20181028_223842

• Like 6

Decals on one side of the XII, and exhausts done on the XVI:

20181030_230720

I need to do the other fuselage side of the XII and gussy up the exhaust stacks. 

Then, landing gear.

• Like 26

Incidentally, I feel pretty sure now that the Sword XII is a tick too short in the nose. 

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

These look great Edward. Well done on the corrective work, it's more rewarding when have a few snags to overcome. 

I mean, yes, but I wouldn't mind effortlessly winning one or two, just to see how it felt, you know?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Your XVI gets more beautiful at every update :wub:  This from someone who is no great fan of that particular mark even. The XII is looking fine as well of course and all the more so for the trouble you've had getting it this far but that XVI... oh my!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appear to be coming down with a cold. I usually get sick around this time of year, so okay. Fine. Fine.

Since we last spoke, both of my progeny have gone trick or treating:

FB_IMG_1541038455301

I think it captures both of their personalities pretty well: Grant, open, friendly, and gormless, and Winston, sullen, mercurial, and furtive. 

Additionally, I've replaced my trusty water bowl, which I stole from Mrs P shortly after we got married...

20181101_191656

...with this mug and mug heater:

20181101_191651

It keeps the decal water more or less warm, important, I've found, with some of the lesser brands.

Put the gear on the XII...

20181103_204533

...and the XVI:

20181103_203412

The XII split when I tried to insert the tailwheel:

2018-11-03_09-26-06

So annoying.

Spinners on:

20181103_212538

Masks off! But the XII had the canopy all fouled up:

20181103_215628

20181103_215617

So I pulled it off and brushed it out with a q-tip and discovered to my surprise it was all dust.

20181103_220826

Anyway, almost all done. A few disappointments on the way. Have to fix the underside of the tail for the XII and get a photo of the XVI. Now what to do next...

• Like 24

24 minutes ago, Procopius said:

and discovered to my surprise it was all dust.

Do you ever use the A/B to blow out the nooks & crannies of planes ? They do that at bodyshops before painting. 

PS - Liberator ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you ever use the A/B to blow out the nooks & crannies of planes ? They do that at bodyshops before painting. 

I haven't; I'm always afraid I'll blow the gunsight off or something. But I've adopted your preference for Mr Surfacer over other kinds of filler and it's working well for me, so maybe I'll give it a shot. 

• Like 2

Ah, trick or treat, the extortion racket created for seven year olds 🔫. We had more of the little buggers darlings around this year than ever before :bandit: and the ton of sweets and chocolate Mrs T had bought in readiness for the event disappeared in a flash.😈 I must say though, that some of the costumes were terrific🧛‍♂️🧟‍♀️.👻

Those Spits of your's are looking really good by the way. Great save on the cockpit too! 👍

• Thanks 1

Both pairs are looking great there sir :) 

As for what to do next; I was about to say you have Lightnings in your stash so stop asking such damned silly questions and crack on with them but then you also have an Anson and some Beaufighters and Harriers and Hunters and some of Camm's beautiful biplanes and a selection of MiG types and Fireflys and Seafires and.... so understand your dilemma. Nah, you've not built a jet for a while, get a silver Lightning going!

• Thanks 1

You Sir, are truly an exaulted member of the Spiterati.

I keep meaning to get some of these Spits. Maybe an overtree or two......:hmmm: 

Trevor

ps I agree that a Frightening should be next. Definitely 74 Sqn and wiv a black tail!

https://goo.gl/images/26EVak

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two very nice Spitfires. I very much like the shades of the grey/green and a silver Spitfire always looks very sharp (even though it is against nature). A good shot at masking the markings, although I tend to take the view that life's too short for masking roundels if Mr Xtradecal can sell me some instead. Looking forward to your next venture!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1