The Killer Destroyer (1/72 Xtrakit Spitfire XII)

Procopius

5 hours ago, warhawk said:

I suggest running the seam with denser (or gel) CA glue first, which "plugs" the hole, making it impossible for subsequent layers of putty to fall through.

I did indeed use gel CA mixed with talc for my initial filling efforts along the nose seam. I guess it just must have subsided slightly after drying.

• Like 2

Looking pretty good:

43313997720_0a09bb8656_h.jpg20181005_222502 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Under the nose has even turned out okay!

31253709278_ecc63431a6_h.jpg20181005_223314 by Edward IX, on Flickr

There was a slight seam along the spine, but I sanded it down. I think we're about ready to ruin it in the painting stage, as foretold by the prophecy.

Today was a hellish day. Unfortunately, as I may end up writing our new social media guidelines at work, and as I intend to prevent the rise of any mes to threaten the me that already exists, I can't tell you about it, since I'm going to ban talking about our confidential internal processes. But rest assured my faith in the human race, never high, has been driven to new lows today. 

• Like 17

Well, I went to look through my tape stash and realized I don't have any 4mm tape to do the 12" stripes; I have 3mm tape, if I wanted to do 9" stripes, but I'm sure that's not right, so I've ordered several candidates, which should start arriving Monday. Until then, can't really paint and mask the stripes.

I did the sky band, though:

43329331140_90716f7582_h.jpg20181006_152347 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And the spinner:

45093988882_d9f19fde65_h.jpg20181006_152511 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And promptly walked my airbrush hose into the spinner, marring the paint. Rrrrgh. Will have to see how bad it looks once it dries.

I've also spent a little time with Pumpkin Man, who appears in our house every October, for as long as the costume fits:

44421631114_b6fcba04dd_h.jpg20181006_143938 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Aren't they 18" stripes on a Spit for D-Day?  Tamiya 6mm is what I've used.

Cheers

Will

They normally are (and I use some 1/4” masking tape that's closer to a scale 18”, because something is wrong with me), but 41 Squadron's Spitfires appear to have had narrower stripes as seen in the one known photo of one with them applied:

SPITXIIDDAY

• Like 7

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im seeing 1/2 myself but what do i know ? 😉

That's what I think I'm seeing too. Shared delusion? Or penetrating insight?

• Like 2

I'd go for 12" judging by that erk's boot by the serial.  9" stripes would make them pixie boots.  WW2 people were a bit slighter generally than now but not pixies.  Or you could blow the photo up to known Spitfire dimensions and measure properly!

Or just do what you think looks nice...

Cheers

Will

While I'm waiting for my tape to arrive, I'm amusing myself by building an Eduard XVI overtree as a Central Gunnery School aircraft from the late 1940s:

spit_lf16_od_cgs.jpg

Just closed up the fuselage and added the wings tonight. Such a fun kit, it all of its iterations, to build. I might put some pictures of it up, maybe not. We'll see!

• Like 13

Just now, Christer A said:

another Spitfire thread

Ohhhh...yes....I still have quite a few to build and just picked up a Revell Mk.IIa and a Mk.V.  I could do this all year...as in, build Spitfires as well as all the other stuff too...we should start an on-going GB that never ends!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Only a few shots:

My bench was recently graced by Wine Gums, as I've been overcome lately by longing for a home that has never, technically, been my home.

30264806937_75bee7b12f_k.jpg20181007_224136 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Unfortunately, Winston discovered the wine gums ("those are beans," he announced to me, pointing to the box -- he calls all candy beans, long story) and he polished them off for me on a visit downstairs yesterday, after previously eating all of my jaffa cakes (which he angrily denounced as "cookies, NOT cake"). 

Here's the cockpit assembly, which is a chore to get together, but always looks so good and makes me feel like a champ when done:

30264806667_a505921cbe_k.jpg20181008_213149 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

[...] after previously eating all of my jaffa cakes (which he angrily denounced as "cookies, NOT cake"). 

Good to know the cake/ biscuit debate continues in another generation.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beard said:

Good to know the cake/ biscuit debate continues in another generation.

Happily, in the interests of posterity, I preserved his first contact with Jaffa cake on the photographic record:

20181008_120646

20181008_120654

20181008_120658

"I also yike dacklate tookies," he helpfully informed me. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6