The Killer Destroyer (1/72 Xtrakit Spitfire XII)

Procopius

Excellent update, full of wide ranging goodness. 

Whilst I hesitate to disagree with you on Spitfires, are you sure none feature the Oxygen bottle? The aforementioned Eduard IX has a small bottle to add on the fuselage wall in approximately the place you describe?

Great save by the clothes peg, and great fun with the boys. Bravo sir

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 06/24 said:

Whilst I hesitate to disagree with you on Spitfires, are you sure none feature the Oxygen bottle? The aforementioned Eduard IX has a small bottle to add on the fuselage wall in approximately the place you describe?

Oh, does it? Have I been omitting it, or has it just been that long since I've built one? Hm!

55 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I shall be erecting a shrine and charging 2s. 6d. admission. 

Half a Crown seems rather steal when you can watch 162 episodes of Magnum PI for $9.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Does anyone have or know of any good reference photos of a 90-gallon slipper tank on a small-carburetor intake Spitfire?

Is this any help?

RAF-in-Combat.com_Spitfire-XII-01-300x20

(You could always use some plasticard to make the top of the tank.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beard said:

Is this any help?

Hm, sort of, but isn't that a 45-gallon slipper tank? In any case, I'm much too lazy to do a convincing job of the tank's underside and the weird sloping area that accommodates the intake.

30 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Hm, sort of, but isn't that a 45-gallon slipper tank? In any case, I'm much too lazy to do a convincing job of the tank's underside and the weird sloping area that accommodates the intake.

I think it is. I'm sure there's a photograph of one in Spitfire The History, I'll have a look when I get home from work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Then I got a little excited, which happens to lots of guys, I'm reassured, and spurted glue into all the crevasses of the fuselage before I could stop myself.

I got caned for writing something like that once. I was 17.  :D

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Does anyone have or know of any good reference photos of a 90-gallon slipper tank on a small-carburetor intake Spitfire?

Don't forget that XIIs have a bigger intake that Merlin Spits without tropical intakes.

Steve.

• Haha 2

PC, On the slipper tank question, I've only seen one standard size of opening at the front. The image showing your test fit makes me think that the intake should be mounted further forward than it is now. If you move it forward, it might fill the gap more fully. I think that the XII intake under the nose was unique to that model (similarly-engined Seafires had the later, bigger intake).

Justin

PC,

A couple of points from my Mk12 researches, which don't appear correctly on some models and profiles (needless to say, in the case of the latter).

• No port/starboard lights on the wingtips.  You can see this in photos posted earlier.  I read that these were early clipped tips so solid wood?
  • No cheese cutter IFF aerials, this was the mast type near the ailerons.  Usually invisible or censored out on photos, you can clearly see its shadow on the famous underside photo of MB882 (e.g. cover of Camouflage & Markings "Spitfire" pamphlet).  The same photo shows the Griffon leaked at least as much as a Merlin!

Hopefully I'm not too early for either of these.  I look forward to seeing how your model comes out, tempting me to break out the XII as my next build (after the 109, Z506B and Mossie all at various stages at the mo).

Cheers

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gah! Missed this happening. On board now for the thrill ride sir. 😃 Excellent peg story look out for the cursed sister peg that will ping off and land in paint/ glue/ your eye. Had a wonderful catch up and I agree with the story so far. Please carry on. Love the kids T-shirt by the way.  ✈️🚁

John. 

• Thanks 1

Well, things rather fell by the wayside this week, didn't they. As some of you may have seen or read, it having been picked up by the BBC and every single national news organization here, late last night, after a week of me double-checking multiple times a day to see if we would, my employer (breathe not their name) interjected itself into the most contentious political debate currently ongoing in American life. All well and good, even though the statement and intervention were, like a camel, designed in committee so as to please nobody, but they didn't believe they needed to check with their long-suffering and excruciatingly underpaid social media professional to ensure we had anything in place, so that when it broke I thought a clever hoaxer had seized their chance, and only after a frantic exchange with my counterpart in the PR department did the two of us determine (a) that it was genuine, and (b) Very Senior People decided we should all sleep on it and issue our statements, tweets, and Facebook posts the following morning. All the while the internet churned, until, after nine hours had elapsed, I was finally able to get something out. It feels really great, let me tell you, to read industry blogs, as I did today, calling me incompetent (not by name, I'm unimportant and anonymous) on account of something someone else did. Today was a very long day and a lot of people were Mad On The Internet at us. 

Most of the rest of the week was pretty crap as well. 

Anyway, I cleaned up the glue print, and eliminated a ton of surface detail in doing so:

20180928_224729

I also found another spot and globbed some more Mr Surfacer there.

20180928_224731

ANNNNND, because I'm an idiot and forgot how capillary action works, the tape wrapped around the nose caused the glue to flow along the edges and scar the plastic badly in the under nose region. 

More filler:

20180928_224715

Good thing this isn't a rare and hard to find kit I'm wrecking willy-nilly, right? Oh.

I then lost the plot and decided to add the wings on, because why not:

44980580971_25dc04c573_h.jpg20180928_235347 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I used rubber bands to try and coax some dihedral out of the wings, but this one is not looking good for me right now, folks.

20180928_235400

• Like 16
  • Sad 4

I find that the ones you have the most problems with you tend to have most affection for.

Sounds like someone has been naughty in the Colony, and might have to be sent to bed without supper!

Keep the faith

and

Box on

Strickers

• Like 2