Airfix Bf-109E 1/72 scale

This kit is the 1/72 scale Airfix Messerschmitt Bf-109E from 1975. This poor fitting, rivet studded little beauty is rarely built these days, but I thought I’d give it a go.

26tD65e.jpg

The overall dimensions look ok on this one, but some of the fit is not very good with huge gaps at the back of the canopy and a front windscreen that just sits too low.

zZAqeJi.jpg?1

Assembly of this basic bird was a snap. Cockpit is just a featureless floor, seat, and instrument panel with raised discs for dials. Paint is Grau RLM 02 with a black panel. The only thing I added was a set of simple seatbelts made from Tamiya tape.

Camouflage colors are Model Master enamels; Dunkelgrün RLM 71/ Grau RLM 02 splinter and Hellblau RLM 65.

wP6mwoz.jpg

The decals in the 1975 kit weren’t all that sharp, and they were stuck fast to that 40 year old “protective” waxed paper they came with anyway. I had to try something else. The new tool Airfix 109E in my stash came with alternate German and Bulgarian insignia, so I raided that kit’s markings for Franz von Werra’s Battle of Britain aircraft.

mKwPCyn.jpg

I don't agree 100% with the 1965 Profile Publications rendering (the colors and pattern of the wings camouflage and the red on the spinner, for example), but the painting is still inspirational!

As for that canopy; detail on the kit part is vague and it doesn’t fit well. Also, von Werra’s aircraft was a Bf-109E-4, but the old Airfix kit is a Bf-109E-3, so the canopy was a slightly different design too. I opted to use a Hasegawa E-4 canopy from the scrap box instead. Fit was not quite perfect, but plastic shims fix things up well enough.

S0ESyjQ.jpg?1

After applying the RLM 65 Hellblau undersides and fuselage sides, I added von Werra’s distinctive white markings on the wingtips, tail, and nose.

i5zQnZ1.jpg?3

A brushed-on coat of Future glossed things up, then I added the markings. Unlike their decals from the 1970s, the decals that come with the new tool Airfix kits are first rate!

6LY3d6G.jpg?1

With the installation of the more delicate kit exterior details and a coat of semi-gloss (5 parts Future to 2 parts Tamiya Flat Base), Airfix’s Old School 109 rivet monster is done!

qyJU07y.jpg

7fWA2UW.jpg

aTEYYar.jpg?1

NfzJzUK.jpg?1

1Cu0r6S.jpg?1

VcdfXq6.jpg?1

9Bzj6no.jpg?1

4bHzsGN.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Nice job.  I'm doing the same kit in the Airfix GB and have similar findings to you about the kit.  Though for that GB the "features" are all part of the fun!

Cheers

Will 

• Like 1