Dragon 1/9 Iron Patriot

GazB

Took this project on for my cousin, who had acquired this kit at a discount when Modelzone closed down. He hadn't realised it was a one you build and paint, so he asked me if I'd take it on. 

Took me about three weeks in total to do. Metallic paints are unbelievably finicky to work with and not damage and I did more resprays than I care to remember. Also of note is the painting instructions in the kit were terrible, with the pose matching the actual figure which concealed certain areas. I had to look up other references for details and still missed one area that was supposed to be red. Also, the colour callouts themselves are wrong. If you use the recommended blue, and the mixed up metallic red, his too pale and the red too pinkish. I had to spray over the red with clear red and the blue clear blue, but it still didn't look right. It was only when I looked at my Meng F-350 model, which i sprayed in Tamiya Metallic Blue, that I realised how close that was to the one from the movie. 

I then gave the existing paint job a once over with that blue (neat, its still a bit off, strangely, but it tones up the underlying blues nicely). The red components on the gun are the same metallic red mix, but sprayed over a gunmetal rather than silver base. Another point of note is that the vinyl head insert was too large for the clear eyepieces to fit, and had to be cut into. In the process, I scraped off the silver I painted on the rear of the eyes, potentially losing the lighting, but alas.

Here be the final product :) Happy to report he was very pleased with it :)

untitled_by_moab23-dcn74df.jpg

untitled_by_moab23-dcn74hg.jpg

untitled_by_moab23-dcn74k5.jpg

untitled_by_moab23-dcn74oa.jpg

untitled_by_moab23-dcn74ri.jpg

untitled_by_moab23-dcn758e.jpg

Gaz

Edited by GazB
Picture update
  • Like 6