Whispering Death, FINISHED!!

modelling minion

For those of you who don't know what the title of this build is referring to "whispering death" is the name given to the Bristol Beaufighter by the Japanese as it wrought havoc on their forces in both Burma and in the Pacific. For this build I will be building an example flown by the RAAF which was used to great effect over the islands of the Netherlands East Indies. I will be using the 1/48 Tamiya TF.MK.X kit which I believe should have all the parts I need to reproduce one, here are the box and contents shots;

42957169280_f3237e8ffb_o_d.jpg

42957173480_328f489809_o_d.jpg

As you can see the kit is still sealed in it's original bags.

No decals for it yet but I'm planning on getting this set from DK Decals which has a nice one on it in the TSS scheme; http://www.dkdecals.cz/48016 RAAF Twins 1_48_1ZS.jpg

It could still end up being one in the all over foliage green scheme but I prefer the one shown above.

I won't start on it yet as I have too many on the go but once the Buffalo is done I should start it soon afterwards.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 13

WOOHOO!! an Beaufighter and a RAAF one too!  :yahoo:

very nice Craig, this was one aircraft I would have thought I see much earlier.

I was looking at a couple of these the other day at a swap meet, was very tempted, thinking about it now I should have.

Looking forward to following this build, got snacks ready!!! :popcorn::drink:  Good luck with her, I look forward to seeing her in the gallery! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Glynn, think I'm going to order a couple of extra goodies for this one and will probably make a start when they arrive, if I can wait that long!

Who doesn't love the Beaufighter, right?

Too right craig one of my favourite twins

• Like 1

Hello Craig nice choice. I always liked the Aussie Beaus. and a couple of years ago i built a Tamiya Mk.VI into an Aussie Beau. I hope it can give you an idea or maybe not. 😉

ykYNnzm.jpg

ta0Qbg3.jpg

uEiF2Fa.jpg

I tried to go with a more faded Foliage green as i had seen some photo’s of a Beaufighter in a Museum in that color. If i did it over i’d do it a bit darker next time.

Dennis

• Like 11

Great choice Craig. I have got a few in my stash and was also tempted to start one. That was untill I opened the box and saw what a extra's I had with it, so I putted it back. I already have some decals for it. One as a foil green RAAF one and the other in green/brown as a SEAC bird. 

I love the scheme you will be doing. I also noticed the scheme for the A-20 and the Photo Lightning on it. This is a very tempting decal sheet to get. 

O, have a look at the cockpit. If I am not mistaken then it sits to high in the fuselage. I have got a new cockpit for it to correct that, but you can also do it yourself. Look around on the web and you will find some builds who has done it. 

And if I am correct, than Revell will come out with a new 1/48 version very soon. 

Cheers, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well now that my F-105 is out of the way for the 60's NATO GB I have been able to spend some time on my Beaufighter, and what a difference there is between this and the Thud, I wish all kits were of this quality! I have had some goodies arrive for my build in the form of some seatbelts by Eduard and an instrument panel by Yahu which is the first time I've bought one of their panels, here's a pic of the extra goodies;

45693987881_fbdffba055_o_d.jpg

And a closer look at the instrument panel;

45643230392_2158fcd02a_o_d.jpg

The detail on the panel is superb but it looks a little 2 dimensional to me so I had a go  at the Tamiya panel to see what I could get it to look like, with the knowledge that if I didn't like it I could use the Yahu one and this is what I got after using the kit one with decals for the instruments and some detail painting, it is shown with the control column after that had been painted up too;

45643236862_5853021efb_o_d.jpg

I decided to go with the kit option.

Prior to this I had given a lot of the kit parts an initial coat of a faded black colour to act as a base for for dry-brushing, here are the bits with the coat of black;

45643231712_28bda4e54b_o_d.jpg

45643232942_cef31216d7_o_d.jpg

As I said the interior parts were given a dry-brushed coat of interior grey-green which seems to have worked quite well;

44969067314_c539eb6304_o_d.jpg

The cockpit floor parts were also given the same treatment and then assembled, as hardly anything can be seen of the interior when the fuselages are closed up I have not added anything other than the Eduard seatbelt to the pilots seat, I used the kit supplied decal stuck onto some thin foil for the rear seats belts, here are some pics of the interior parts after they were finished;

45643234382_e87d874ea1_o_d.jpg

45643235592_97204ba6d5_o_d.jpg

And with the instrument panel and control column added;

44969070544_e8d24b6b49_o_d.jpg

45643248062_3d7a47f607_o_d.jpg

The engine fronts have been given some dry-brush treatment too in preparation for their assembly;

44969069594_b06594d63c_o_d.jpg

Next step now will be joining the fuselage halves together and getting the wings started. I might not get much done for a couple of days as I have to get some stuff ready for Telford next weekend.

That's it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Well now that my F-105 is out of the way for the 60's NATO GB I have been able to spend some time on my Beaufighter, and what a difference there is between this and the Thud, I wish all kits were of this quality! I have had some goodies arrive for my build in the form of some seatbelts by Eduard and an instrument panel by Yahu which is the first time I've bought one of their panels, here's a pic of the extra goodies;

45693987881_fbdffba055_o_d.jpg

And a closer look at the instrument panel;

45643230392_2158fcd02a_o_d.jpg

The detail on the panel is superb but it looks a little 2 dimensional to me so I had a go  at the Tamiya panel to see what I could get it to look like, with the knowledge that if I didn't like it I could use the Yahu one and this is what I got after using the kit one with decals for the instruments and some detail painting, it is shown with the control column after that had been painted up too;

45643236862_5853021efb_o_d.jpg

I decided to go with the kit option.

Prior to this I had given a lot of the kit parts an initial coat of a faded black colour to act as a base for for dry-brushing, here are the bits with the coat of black;

45643231712_28bda4e54b_o_d.jpg

45643232942_cef31216d7_o_d.jpg

As I said the interior parts were given a dry-brushed coat of interior grey-green which seems to have worked quite well;

44969067314_c539eb6304_o_d.jpg

The cockpit floor parts were also given the same treatment and then assembled, as hardly anything can be seen of the interior when the fuselages are closed up I have not added anything other than the Eduard seatbelt to the pilots seat, I used the kit supplied decal stuck onto some thin foil for the rear seats belts, here are some pics of the interior parts after they were finished;

45643234382_e87d874ea1_o_d.jpg

45643235592_97204ba6d5_o_d.jpg

And with the instrument panel and control column added;

44969070544_e8d24b6b49_o_d.jpg

45643248062_3d7a47f607_o_d.jpg

The engine fronts have been given some dry-brush treatment too in preparation for their assembly;

44969069594_b06594d63c_o_d.jpg

Next step now will be joining the fuselage halves together and getting the wings started. I might not get much done for a couple of days as I have to get some stuff ready for Telford next weekend.

That's it for today, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Nice work Craig, 

Your going to HAVE to buy another Beaufighter now to use up that AM instrument panel 😉

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

yeah, lovely work on the interior, it looks great. 

I find those Yahu IP's to be a good in-between option between the Eduard's 2D painted type and a good quality plastic one. Most of the time they're the best option, but a nicely moulded one form Tamiya for the most part worth going the bit extra with........unless you're a bit lazy like I can be at times!! :D

You do have a nice selection of goodies to go with her!!

This could be the build that convinces me that I need to add a Beaufighter to the stash! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

This could be the build that convinces me that I need to add a Beaufighter to the stash!

High praise indeed Rich, you really do need to build one of these mate, it is a superb kit.

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Those seatbelts are superb, top job so far

Cheers Glynn.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, Greg Law said:

That's coming along nicely. Good job on the cockpit.

Thanks Greg, nothing done on her this weekend as I've been putting some display bases together for the IPMS UK nationals, hopefully I can get a bit more done during the week.

Hi Craig. It's a good job you mentioned to me about this build in your other thread as I've managed to miss it so far! Lovely work in the cockpit - it looking great! Very impressively detailed. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a very busy week the Beaufighter is now back in production! And things have moved along quite rapidly since the last update, the fuselage halves went together with no problem, the wing sections went together with no problem, they were joined together with no problem, the tailplanes were added with no problem (after removing the trim tab actuator from the upper surfaces and building a replacement for the underneath where it belongs) and the cockpit glazing added and before you know it you have this;

45866851091_7ef0daef3a_o_d.jpg

This is probably the nicest kit I have ever built, things actually fit together!! Here is the wing root joint;

45866853551_d02f2e36c1_o_d.jpg

No filler!!

The tailplanes.

45866856431_5f32298ecc_o_d.jpg

Only a smear of filler!

The underside wing/fuselage joint;

45866860041_08432338c6_o_d.jpg

Again only a small smear of filler! This kit really is a joy to build and if you haven't built one yet go out and buy one now, you will not be disappointed.

The engines have been painted and weathered too;

45866861791_a44a8eb19a_o_d.jpg

I'm not adding anything to them as bugger all will be visible when they are in their cowlings, which have had their intake tubes drilled out as you can see below;

45866863961_eb90518701_o_d.jpg

And the landing gear parts and intake filters for on top of the engines have been assembled too;

45866865921_3a6986d673_o_d.jpg

These are now in the process of getting the right colours on them as well as getting the glazing for the landing lights added and masked up.

Hopefully I will be getting an undercoat on her soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8