Down among the sprouts

Niknak

Hi all, This is the do 217 m-1 of 2/ kg. 2 which failed to return to it's base on the night of February 23-24 1944. (during operation stienbock). The crew was oberfw. Stermann, uffz. Schwarzmuller, Behrens & Rosendahl. The aircraft was hit by 3.7 mm aa fire over the North West suburbs of London, which damaged the aircrafts starboard engine nacelle, wing & fuselage.Believing the worst. The crew bailed out and were captured in the Wembley area. Meanwhile the Dornier flew on into the darkness, gradually loosing hight untill it carved a furrow across a vegetable patch, 60 miles away in Cambridge at about 20:40 hrs. 

Madel details 

Italieri do 217 m-1 (rescribe pannel lines) 

Falcon canopie

Resin wheels

Aires mg 81,81z, 131's

Scratch build top turret, radio altermeters

Paints xtracolor rlm 72,73, 76 Humbrol 33

Decals national marking aero master & extradecals

Squadron markings scale master letters & numbers & modified kit decals. 

2018-09-18_05-09-20

2018-09-22_05-49-25

2018-09-18_05-11-22

2018-09-18_05-13-09

2018-09-18_05-10-23

2018-09-18_05-10-36

2018-09-18_05-10-50

2018-09-18_05-11-06

2018-09-18_05-10-00

Thanks for looking, comments are welcomed. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gorby said:

Many a British child would have blessed the Luftwaffe that day.

Excellent model, very nicely painted.

Yip it landed very close to a street of houses and the bomb load didn't go bang. Thank you gorby

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely job.

Shame you can't get scale sprouts.

Thank you Pete. Yip it's a shame. 😄

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1

Great model , great back story with photos . I had a set of a Do 217 photos in a field in Kent ,  ****** lost them years ago

I went on Google Earth it's between Milton Rd and Blawith Rd , Wembley , MIDDX ( I'm getting the old county in) now a carpark for Harrow Council Gestapo , a mosque , Sizzling Spice and Punjab Grill fwd of your kite. Samaritans are over the other side of Station Rd from those   . The Dec/1945 G/Earth shows that ground as either extended gardens (of those white houses) or some kind of allotments .

Thanks for showing , well done !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Many a British child would have blessed the Luftwaffe that day.

Excellent model, very nicely painted.

Even more if it ploughed into the local school that night.

Gawd it's an ugly aeroplane, almost visually stealth because it's impossible to focus on any part of it. Your eyes just slide off it and you just can't see it properly.

Great model though.

Edited by noelh
  • Haha 8

On 18/09/2018 at 21:49, noelh said:

Even more if it ploughed into the local school that night.

Gawd it's an ugly aeroplane, almost visually stealth because it's impossible to focus on any part of it. Your eyes just slide off it and you just can't see it properly.

Great model though.

tut tut , you'll hurt its feelings 😆, i have built 6 up to now 3 bombers e-3,m-1,k-1 & 2 night fighters n-2,j& also a w-1.nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Nice work. Fascinating background story, and some great pictures. What reference book/magazine is that?

Thank you Smudge, the reference story was in a flypast magazine a few years ago. there is also pictures of the aircraft & an evaluation report of the aircraft in the last blitz (operation stienbock) by Ron Mackay & Simon W Parry. Nick

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2018 at 19:36, bzn20 said:

Great model , great back story with photos . I had a set of a Do 217 photos in a field in Kent ,  ****** lost them years ago

I went on Google Earth it's between Milton Rd and Blawith Rd , Wembley , MIDDX ( I'm getting the old county in) now a carpark for Harrow Council Gestapo , a mosque , Sizzling Spice and Punjab Grill fwd of your kite. Samaritans are over the other side of Station Rd from those   . The Dec/1945 G/Earth shows that ground as either extended gardens (of those white houses) or some kind of allotments .

Thanks for showing , well done !

Hi bzn20,thank you. I think thay are allotments. Nick

• Thanks 1

Dig for Victory! as the slogan used to say, although I don't think anyone was expecting to find a Dornier down the allotment :o

I grew up in west London in a house like those in the background, amazing to think only a few years before (20ish) I could have woken up and seen that in the back garden!

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 4:47 AM, Niknak said:

The aircraft was hit by 3.7 mm aa fire over the North West suburbs of London

Clever building a scale AA gun to shoot down the scale bomber. ;) :D 

Nice job on your Dornier, when I first looked at your photo, the close up of the cockpit area, I thought initally there was no glass, as part of the crash effect then looking back I could see all the clear parts were there, now that is impressively clear. 👍 Some nice modelling on display.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Great job all round. I'm hoping ICM will do this in 1/48 scale now they are doing the nightfighter. This is the one German bomber missing in 1/48.

These in 1/48 are not big models by today's standard. 

Hi Greg, yip so do I. The do 217 is my favorite German bomber. Nick

Edited by Niknak

43 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Clever building a scale AA gun to shoot down the scale bomber. ;) :D 

Nice job on your Dornier, when I first looked at your photo, the close up of the cockpit area, I thought initally there was no glass, as part of the crash effect then looking back I could see all the clear parts were there, now that is impressively clear. 👍 Some nice modelling on display.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, the canopies are vac form replacements dipped in clear with the masks left on for the shortest length of time. I have found that some masks can mark the clear if left on too long. Nick

• Like 1