79 squadron RAAF Spitfire VC. *FINISHED*

Beard

Getting there.

2018-10-10_08-42-44

The more observant amongst you will notice that I've over-painted the grey panel on the wing. I had a look at the references photographs and realised I'd painted the wrong panel, it should be the one that the roundel goes over. D'oh!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

On 9/22/2018 at 9:48 PM, Beard said:

Thank, I'm fairly happy with the second attempt but I must get some fuse wire so I can make buckles.

Thanks.

Thanks Ced, it's moved on since then.

Two coats of Colourcoats RAAF Sky Blue have been applied to the underside. The more observant among you will notice the lack of tailplanes, I've left them off to make the masking of the tail easier, and the addition of a slipper tank - it's a 45 gallon one from an Eduard kit.

2018-09-22_08-40-08

Once it's dry I'll inspect it for brush marks, if there are any (and there will be) I'll give it a light sanding before A 'heavy' dry-brushing.

Thanks for looking.

Hi Simon,   do you use wet and dry for the sanding or some other medium,

Cheers, Joseph

7 hours ago, beppe said:

Hi Simon,   do you use wet and dry for the sanding or some other medium,

Cheers, Joseph

Hello Joseph,

I usually use Micromesh but sometimes use a piece of very worn fine-grade wet & dry.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Beard
to add text.
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 7:43 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Simon

She looks great with the decals on 👍..

Cheers

Patrice

Thanks Patrice. I'm fairly happy with how it's going.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:01 AM, trickyrich said:

i won't get overly worried about the scheme not being 100% right as no one would have known.

she does look very smart

Thanks. I'll be fine as lone as no-one looks at the photographs in the link hidden in the first post.

Anyway, in a rare example of me actually not just leaving something and saying "it'll do", I decided to mask the gun access panel.

2018-10-15_07-16-57

I can hear the cries of "Masking over a transfer, it'll end in tears." Never fear, gentle reader, I've done it before and there's a trick. I'll give a prize to the first person who tells me what it is.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Coat the decal in Klear AND stick the tape to back of hand or jeans?

I'm still surprised Airfix provided a nekkid lady decal on their version of this plane that i have in the stash.  I bet they wouldn't nowadays. 

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Ooo, ooo, a prize!

Do you stick the tape to the back of your hand first?

Am I allowed another go?

Coat the transfer in Klear?

6 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Coat the decal in Klear AND stick the tape to back of hand or jeans?

I'm still surprised Airfix provided a nekkid lady decal on their version of this plane that i have in the stash.  I bet they wouldn't nowadays. 

Cheers

Will

Congratulations to Ced for being the first with the correct answer, I did indeed give the transfer several coats of Klear (not that good t stopped a bit of the roundel being torn off when I removed the masking tape). Your prize is in the post. 

Edited by Beard
  • Like 2

The double coats of klear does't always work. I had my Do 217 fuselage decals destroyed by a mask folding down on them while I was painting. I think the combined double layer of Klear and the doing a few stick downs on your jeans may do it. I used to do that on my RC planes. It is real hard to mask paint on a foam plane.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

That turned out fantastic Simon, I love mismatched panels, and the KP Vc kit looks really good, I'll have to pick up one or five.

Thanks Cookie.

The KP VC has one drawback, the wings are assembled in a different way to their VB which means the trailing edge need a little thinning. Having said that, I'm going to do at least one more in this Group Build and have plans to do a couple in the next MTO GB.

• Like 2