79 squadron RAAF Spitfire VC. *FINISHED*

Beard

I can't remember if I signed-up for this Group Build or not but, having returned from a week in Corfu this morning, I'd like to join-in.

I'll be using the recently released KP VC having got my hands on some from my usual supplier, the ever reliable MJW Models.

20180918_134934

I'll be using the transfers from the Airfix VC (which, like the KP one, was based on a VB - the KP being several orders of magnitude better than the Airfix one, as the photographs of the sprues will show.)

20180918_134953

There appears to be some dispute as to the colour scheme. Airfix have you paint it overall green:

A02040.5.jpg

but this suggests Foliage Green/ Dark Earth...

81_15.jpg

There are a couple of good photographs from a build thread by @darson, I hope he/ she doesn't mind me borrowing the photographs (the build didn't get done and the member hadn't visited the site since 07/07/2017. I wonder if he's still around?)

P02875384.jpg

UP-T.jpg

and more here, also a discussion about the upper surfaces colours which I'll read thoroughly before painting.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/done-1-72-spitfire-mk-vc-pacific-theatre-of-operations-ii.40419/

Before I start, here are the promised sprue-shots.

20180918_131910

(As you can see, it's their VB with an extra sprue.)

20180918_131910

Here's a closer photograph of the extra sprue for the  VC wing, cannon fairings and cannon bulges.

2018-09-18_01-51-35

You also get a pair of six-ejector exhausts - which will come in handy in another build I have planned elsewhere.

Thanks for looking, more soon.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 11

welcome aboard and it's great to see another Spitfire in the build.

Gee that is a nice looking model, KP have come a long way, I do have a bit of a soft spot fro their models.

Hmmm they are a bit off with the colour scheme!

Good luck with her, another enjoyable build to follow, I look forward to seeing her in the galley.

• Thanks 1

Hi Beard,

I started one of these yesterday so here's what I've noticed so far:

The trailing edge of the wings need some serious thinning down otherwise they'll be too thick. Why AZ/KP didn't engineer the new wing in the same way as the B wing is a mystery.

The instructions have parts 8 and 9 labelled the wrong way round.

The wing tips are a bit too pointy, although that's a mixture of being slightly too long and that the C wings are a bit narrower in chord at the outer end in comparison with the B wing parts.

The engraving for the location of the oil cooler is a bit too far outboard. Seems slightly squint as well.

Mike.:)

Edited by MikeR
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, trickyrich said:

Good luck with her, another enjoyable build to follow, I look forward to seeing her in the galley.

Thanks Rich.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, MikeR said:

Hi Beard,

I started one of these yesterday so here's what I've noticed so far:

The trailing edge of the wings need some serious thinning down otherwise they'll be too thick. Why AZ/KP didn't engineer the new wing in the same way as the B wing is a mystery.

The instructions have parts 8 and 9 labelled the wrong way round.

The wing tips are a bit too pointy, although that's a mixture of being slightly too long and that the C wings are a bit narrower in chord at the outer end in comparison with the B wing parts.

The engraving for the location of the oil cooler is a bit too far outboard. Seems slightly squint as well.

Thanks for the tips Mike.

I'm sure I've read that the VB wing's chord is too great but it does look like the VC is a bit pointy. I'll dig out some plans later and check.

A visit to Howletts this morning and tea to cook later but there's still some time for Spitfires.

I've finished the cockpit interior. The belts are made from Tamiya tape and I'm not entirely happy with the end result but it'll do (which is always good enough for me):

2018-09-19_04-16-04

Meanwhile, the sidewalls have been painted with Colourcoats Interior Green and Tamiya Flat Aluminium (which had a base coat of Humbrol matt black), the details were painted with Humbrol matt black then dry-brushed with a light grey before the whole thing got a Future/ Coal Black gouache mix wash and a coat of W&N matt varnish.

2018-09-19_04-45-52

I've also painted wheelshubs, propeller, radiators and the exhausts. Now I need to visit the loft to find my pots of Colourcoats RAAF Sky Blue and Foliage Green.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Great idea for a build Simon, I'll keep an eye on it as its something I've planned for a while though using the KP kit is a better idea than modding the Airfix one as I had planned.

Steve.

The KP kit is pretty nice but, as Mike points out in post no.3, the wings might be a bit out. I'm still to check them against some plans but will post the results when I do.

I found my pots of Colourcoats RAAF Sky Blue and Foliage Green and have done some more work on this build.

The fuselage halves have been joined:

20180920_160643

The wheelwells have had a couple of coats of Sky Blue:

20180920_160711

Finally, i wasnt happy with the harness so made another one:

20180920_145009

I also put the decal on the instrument panel and glued it to the rest of the cockpit bits:

20180920_160703

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

On 9/20/2018 at 4:45 PM, modelling minion said:

Very nice work.

I thought that your first harness was good but your second is absolutely superb, very well done.

Thank, I'm fairly happy with the second attempt but I must get some fuse wire so I can make buckles.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:04 PM, trickyrich said:

that looks great, I do like the coloured instructions.

Thanks.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:16 PM, CedB said:

Nice belt (Mk II) and internals Simon, coming along nicely :) 

Thanks Ced, it's moved on since then.

Two coats of Colourcoats RAAF Sky Blue have been applied to the underside. The more observant among you will notice the lack of tailplanes, I've left them off to make the masking of the tail easier, and the addition of a slipper tank - it's a 45 gallon one from an Eduard kit.

2018-09-22_08-40-08

Once it's dry I'll inspect it for brush marks, if there are any (and there will be) I'll give it a light sanding before A 'heavy' dry-brushing.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Looking good so far and your much further along than me now! I've only just finished painting the cockpit so hopefully I'll be onto basic assembly tomorrow. My excuse is that I'm working on two other 1/72 Spitfire Vc Trops and finishing off an HPM Atlas Cheetah D!:blink:

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, stevehnz said:

Looking good Simon, that RAAF Sky Blue is a smart looking shade, I need to add some of these RAAF shades to another order to Creativemodels in Aus.. I think this is looking very promising as a subject.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I like Colourcoats and you'll see another RAAF colour being used further down this thread.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:41 PM, MikeR said:

Looking good so far and your much further along than me now! I've only just finished painting the cockpit so hopefully I'll be onto basic assembly tomorrow. My excuse is that I'm working on two other 1/72 Spitfire Vc Trops and finishing off an HPM Atlas Cheetah D!:blink:

Thanks Mike but that's no excuse, four kits on the go is nothing.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, trickyrich said:

arrr Spitfires always look so much better with some colour on them!  :thumbsup:

I like them au naturel too.

There's been a slight hiatus whilst the 80 Squadron Kittyhawk IV I'm building catches up so I've just got to the Foliage Green stage.

2018-09-27_04-57-29

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks Mike but that's no excuse, four kits on the go is nothing.

I know, I know, poor excuse! :winkgrin: I'm down to the three Spits now that the Cheetah is done and dusted. One's the Sword Vc I mentioned in 825's Seafire thread, ones a Tamiya Vb-to-Vc FrankenSpit conversion and the third is the KP kit. The first two are at the painting stage whilst the KP kit is at the sand-n-fill point of construction. I'm still not sure which scheme the KP's going to be yet although all will be SEAC/RAAF machines.

I think that the Vokes filter gives the Spit a bit of "character" even if it reminds you of the late Jimmy Hill!

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I know, I know, poor excuse! :winkgrin: I'm down to the three Spits now that the Cheetah is done and dusted. One's the Sword Vc I mentioned in 825's Seafire thread, ones a Tamiya Vb-to-Vc FrankenSpit conversion and the third is the KP kit. The first two are at the painting stage whilst the KP kit is at the sand-n-fill point of construction. I'm still not sure which scheme the KP's going to be yet although all will be SEAC/RAAF machines.

I dug two Spitfire VIIIs, a Kittyhawk and a Beaufighter out of the stash this evening to start next week.

20 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I think that the Vokes filter gives the Spit a bit of "character" even if it reminds you of the late Jimmy Hill!

I think of the Vokes filter as a carbuncle on the face of a much loved friend.

• Like 4

On 9/29/2018 at 7:32 AM, trickyrich said:

you are a one-man GB!! nice to see someone really enthusiastic about a GB and with some great subjects as well. :thumbsup:

I've got a few more builds planned yet!

I realised that the brown colour was Earth Brown, not Dark Earth, so I've re-painted it using Humbrol 98. I'm still not entirely happy because the contrast between the camouflage colours is much more noticeable than in the photographs.

2018-09-30_04-27-57

There are a few touch-ups to do and those white leading edge IDs to do now.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

On 9/30/2018 at 11:39 PM, trickyrich said:

ok, I though the colour in the other photo looked right, can't trust photos! :D

I thought it was okay too, until I read the painting instructions and this:

On 10/3/2018 at 5:40 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I see what you mean about the colours Beard, with the darker brown the green looks a tad bright. Maybe again due to the lighting.

Maybe I should be jumping in with a 77SQN build since I used to work there :D

I think the green is either too bright or the contrast between it and the brown is too great. Mind you, it's a Colourcoats paint and I've never heard of their colour matches being off.

Anyway, I've painted the leading edges white and given it a coat of Future prior to applying the transfers:

2018-10-03_02-46-27

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 8

On 10/4/2018 at 10:11 AM, CedB said:

Looking smart with the white on Simon and I agree, Colourcoats are to be trusted :) 

Thanks Ced. I have another Aussie Spitfire planned which has even more white bits.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:13 AM, trickyrich said:

gee she looks very smart!

Thanks Rich.

There's brief interlude caused by work and starting a Beaufighter- more on that later - here's where it is now.

There are lighter coloured panels on the fuselage and wing which I thought would be painted aluminium, I've had second thoughts and have decided to paint them a light grey as I think they'd be in primer rather than bare metal.

Masked- off, ready for the paint:

2018-10-07_10-34-05

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6