Hasegawa 1/48 F104 Starfighter

colin

Built oob with the addition of the Eduard ejector seat,no weathering as the JASDF kept them pretty clean back then, well thats my excuse anyway.

Hasegawa'a later 1/48 kits are a joy to build you just need to be careful with the intakes. I glued them to the fuselage sides first before joining the sides together opposite to what they show on the instructions

Bit of a swine to photo this one, couldn't get the light right somehow

KCViWIH.jpg

AFud8y2.jpg

VcwQqf0.jpg

7C4qhe2.jpg

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andrés S. said:

Extremely nice.

Have you used Alcald? Have you varnished it?

Greetings.

Tamiya AS-12 as a primer coat, decanted for airbrush, then Gunze super metalic lightly sprayed over to bring on a nice shine. Different Alclads used on other panels.Top coat Tamiya X-22

The AS-12  is brilliant as a primer coat as you can sand back and repray with no problems and is quick drying and rock hard as a base coat.

It's a Spencer Pollard idea, have a look on youtube

• Like 2

Very nice and tidy specimen !....It's nice to see a Starfighter avoiding the 'Spanish School of Weathering' and just goes to show that the judicious use of different metallic shades together with a simple panel wash is sufficient to produce a realistic finish on a JASDF jet.

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Colin,

Nice to see one in JSDAF colors and markings- the "hot" section looks very realistic and the cockpit, too! Very subdued but realistic metal finish, too! Bet @RidgeRunner will like this one! Oops- just saw his post; oh, well!

Mike

Absolutely, Mike ;). I really must start on my F-104 pile! Certainly this build is a beauty and, as you say, the hot end is a triumph!

Martin

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely, Mike ;). I really must start on my F-104 pile! Certainly this build is a beauty and, as you say, the hot end is a triumph!

Martin

BTW, I was just looking at photos of Norwegian AF F-104's, reminded by your posting logo, and I found this link that I have listed below. I'm sure you have seen it, and probably the airplane, as well, but it was an interesting story, a beautiful '104, and I thought there was an off-chance that you or other BM'ers  hadn't seen it. Is this one on your 'to-do' list? Regards, friend! ( I am sorry for piggy-backing the topic!)

Mike

http://vintageaviationecho.com/starfighter-test-flight/

Thanks, Mike. @72modeler I saw her when she was operational but sadly not recently post-restoration. Eskin Amdal's is a friend of a friend. I went to Sola last year in the hope of seeing her at the annual air show but she went tech and no showed :(. This yeR she has been to a number of shows her in Europe. Not in the UK, sadly. Maybe next year, although probably not here as the UKCAA probably won't allow any such machine under their draconian tenure. :(. She won't be on my build list. At least not in the foreseeable future. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Martin,

Great video- thanks for posting it...couple of things stood out; you sure have to get the undercart up quickly before hitting the DNE speed on take-off, and you can  hear the howl when the BLC is active! I remember an airshow years ago here at Randolph AB when the two-ship team of civil '104's flew  a great display. I recall they landed with tip and underwing external tanks and removed them for their routine, putting them back on for the flight out. I hadn't heard that distinctive J-79 whine for so long, it was a great experience! The Norwegian CF-104D has to be the only airworthy D-model, right? Can the Hasegawa two-seater be built as a D if I put the tail of an F-104C on it? Just curious!

Mike