Tamiya Delta Tomcat

Collin

Wasn't completely happy with the MIG color grey's as the base colors.  They were just too close to each other and washed each other out.  I grabbed some Vallejo acrylic paint that was a slightly darker tint for both the 36320 and 35237.  Did a respray (more a marble coat) of the new tints and I like the separation of the base colors much better.  The lighting of my workbench isn't that great so the photos aren't be best, sorry about that.

From the limited photos I have vX-23 repainted the vert stabs after they got rid of the dayglow orange tails.  I painted them in a slightly cleaner paint.

Cleaned up the bench and now it's  time to move onto detail painting and then decals.  Weathering is going to wait until post-decal.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN8191.jpg

DSCN8192.jpg

DSCN8194.jpg

DSCN8197.jpg

DSCN8201.jpg

DSCN8202.jpg

DSCN8203.jpg

• Like 4

BLUF....I tried something new, and now this build is dead.

Attempted to use some masking fluid to cover panel lines then cover the area with Tamiya Smoke.  Well after putting the fluid on, letting it dry...dabbing some more on the upper area, I then painted on some thin smoke.  I kept going. They tried to tone everything down with a slight coat of very well thinned BUFF from Tamiya.  First wing...very nice subtle tone down of the smoke.  Mixed some more and turned the wing yellow...now I had a mismatched wing.  Followed buy the next hour of repainting, mixing, repainting some more to make the upper colors match again.  I was able to get everything back sorta like it was before.  But then I tried taking the masking fluid off.  It was stuck to the kit like cement.  Completely ruined the horizontal stabs and then tried the upper surface of the aircraft.  The kit was a MORT after that.  I had to bin it.

I believe I am a good modeler and just went to far instead of sticking with basics.  I like the effects of the multi-tone pre-shading/base painting I have done on this kit (and others before it. I made the mistake of experimenting on this kit when I shouldn't have.  I should have just stuck to the basics....gloss/decals/semi-gloss/panel line wash/some light oil weathering/heavier weathering around the engines...and semi/flat coat....done.

I love this hobby, it just sometimes bites you and keeps you humble.

Cheers

Collin

• Sad 1

Bummer dude! Was looking great too. 

Out of interest which masking fluid was it? 

I know its a bit late but may help in the future- as a general rule I only put masking fluid straight on a tough lacquer type paint eg Mr paint or Mr Colour etc. On others I tend to do it after the gloss coat. 

I think what may have happened is the masking fluid has slightly dissolved and then bonded to/becoming part of the soft mig/Vallejo paint. 

Also - Humbrol maskol is the easiest to remove, the mr hobby stuff is even more aggressive. 

Sorry again for your loss

Tony

Oh damn. That is not good.

Such a shame, it was such a nice model.

I know it's extreme, but have you tried using paint stripper? yes you'll have to repaint it, but this is too good a model to bin.

Dig it out, put it on the shelf, walk away, count to ten, and then try stripper.

If you're just gonna bin it - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain!

A lot of the masking fluids have ammonia in their make up and this just eats acrylic paint. It's a real shame as it was looking so good I think your taking it very well Collin.

But why do these thing always bite you just when all the hard works been done we are on the home run to finishing it