Charter Flight to the Mountains of Madness (Airfix 1/72 Ford Trimotor)

Well you got me hooked. I'd actually forgotten Airfix did a Ford Trimotor. That's a wonderfully rendered example of something that appeared in a very obscure book. Marvelous.

I was at Oshkosh a couple of years ago and there were two of them giving joyrides all day. Not bad for aeroplanes 90 and 89 years old. Sturdy is the right word to describe them. 

• Like 3

Awesome build!

Admittedly I've not had time to read the full text/history you have posted - too busy ogling the model pics!

Just superb work with some very cool scratch-building and enhancements.

:clap:

• Like 1

Superb, but having seen this, I must now go away and forget that I ever did so, that my mind that that of all  humanity might be saved from the eldrich knowledge therein...

On second thoughts, I think the story talks about using Dornier flying boats too - how about one of them to go with it?

• Like 1

I love it,....... a beautiful model and the subject matter fits perfectly,..... grest stuff.

I recently got a cheap Trimotor myself and intend on building it as a RAAF aircraft used in New Guinea, I `m just trying to compile reference material.,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch K said:

Superb, but having seen this, I must now go away and forget that I ever did so, that my mind that that of all  humanity might be saved from the eldrich knowledge therein...

On second thoughts, I think the story talks about using Dornier flying boats too - how about one of them to go with it?

Actually, I 'erased' the Dornier from the 'Internet' version of the expedition seal, to substitute my non-canon Trimotor!

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I love it,....... a beautiful model and the subject matter fits perfectly,..... grest stuff.

I recently got a cheap Trimotor myself and intend on building it as a RAAF aircraft used in New Guinea, I `m just trying to compile reference material.,

Cheers

Tony

My own 'dream' Trimotor project is the 'Royal Typewriter Air Truck,' which---I kid you not---was used by the Royal Typewriter company in the 1930s to drop pallets of typewriters by parachute over middle-America, as part of a promotional campaign to demonstrate the sturdiness and reliability of their construction. (The campaign---and presumably the accompanying bombardment---was actually quite successful, by all accounts. It boggles the mind!)

But that version was the earlier, slightly-smaller AT-4 version of Ford's production, so I shall have to acquire the equally-ancient Revell 'box scale' kit in order to do that one.

Thanks again to all who took the trouble to 'like' or reply!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Brilliant modelling and story.

By coincidence, I have just started to read "The Call of Cthulhu" this week. Coincidence? Who knows. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

• Like 1

A fabled place of eldritch knowledge, esoteric arts and guarded secrets, wherein can be found misshapen abominations, insane imaginings, unfathomable instructions and Things That Should Not Be, made from What Should Not Be Used. Inhabited by old ones, tentacled horrors and acolytes on the brink of madness.

But enough about of Britmodeller - let's have some more Lovecraft. I've posted the Miskatonic Railroad before, but if you missed it here it is again: http://www.ottgalleries.com/MRR.html

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lovecraft. I've posted the Miskatonic Railroad before, but if you missed it here it is again: http://www.ottgalleries.com/MRR.html

That's a pretty astounding stack of work on that railroad layout! (Since I'm on my phone, I only managed to scratch the surface, but I will look in again!)

Dare I ask how many years' work that represents?