Airfix Scammell conversions - Pioneer? Now Part 2

Graham Boak

I recall Airfix magazine publishing a conversion for the breakdown wagon variant, because I did one of those and thought it quite good - though I know that it wouldn't meet modern standards!  However I've been unable to find reference to it in my index.  The reason for asking is that I was given another Scammell with the intention of converting it into a Pioneer artillery tow wagon, and presume that Chris Ellis did that one as well.  Can anyone confirm this and point me in the right direction?

Edited by Graham Boak

I think the Scammell breakdown is in one of the Airfix Modelling guides.

For the gun tractor the rear wheels will need replacing with the trailer wheels as the tank transporter had bigger back boots. I seem to remember this myself with a 7.2" gun from Skytrex (?) behind it. I'll have a dig.

Airfix Magazine September 1963 Volume 5 Number 1

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I suspect that I don't have a complete set of vol 5s, but I do have a couple of old and new Modelling Guides, so will go digging there.  The alternative is an Oxford diecast but I'm reluctant to scrap the kit.

To be more correct, I don't have any Vol 5s.  But I have found the PSL guide.  It contains the breakdown wagon but not the Pioneer.  I also have the much more recent Tom Cole Airfix book which does contain the Pioneer, but is in the inadequate modern fashion.  Lots of colour photos of the finished model but no plans and no build-up guide.  However he does say to shorten the chassis by 9 inches, which is a good tip.  And yes, change the rear wheels.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Pretty sure the Scammell gun tractor was covered in an edition of Military Modelling, with some nice drawings.  I recall starting (but, as usual, not finishing) the conversion.  It was after the magazine went A4 size and I think the mag cover was a puce colour.  Will see if I can find my copy.

Edit: found it!  March 1973 Military Modelling (3rd of the A4-size, puce cover), pp.154-6.  Article and drawings by Geoffrey Futter.  Drop me a PM if you'd like a scan.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Thanks: plans obtained and printed.  I have to add that I've since found out that Gerald Scarborough did a plan that was published in Bruce Quarrie's Modelling Military Vehicles, but it isn't as good.  Was this perhaps published in Airfix magazine in the Quarrie era?  I must admit that's when I stopped getting it.

I've sent a PM @Seahawk if you could send me a scan too that would be great.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds these modern articles so frustrating Graham. It seems they're more about pushing paint and other stuff than providing useful information. Pretty much like the trade magazines I get for free at the electrical distributors I use.

It could have been rehashed in the Quarrie Era I'll carry on checking. I've got the pile out looking for something else at the moment anyway.   

Having got the plans, I surged up into the loft only to discover just why this particular kit had been left at the bottom of the stash!  Lots of small loose pieces, a part-started body now falling apart, and an apparent excess of tyres.  I think I must have added some of them as there were 12 of the smaller size whereas only four were needed for the kit.  There were only eight of the large ones, already glued in place on the trailer's bogies.  Fortunately they popped off without too much damage, providing the six required.  The nastiest bit is that one spring is missing, which will be unpleasant to recreate to any quality.

However, there is no instruction sheet, which had me worried until I realised that most of the tinier parts must belong on the trailer, which is not being used.  I think that with the plans and photos, I should be able to work out which of the parts are needed for the tractor unit and which are not.  I might even have one assembled in a box. somewhere, to help in doubtful cases.  I've often thought that most of the smaller Airfix kits were perfectly capable of being made without instructions, though clearly not the trailer in this case.  But if some kind person actually has a scan of the instruction sheet, or knows where to get one, I'd be grateful.

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

HERE you go Graham.

Thank you.  Fortunately for my self-esteem I'd allocated most of the bits correctly, including all for the tractor that I need for the Pioneer.  Qualify that: I haven't yet found the headlights, although I had at least guessed that I needed them.  It turns out that the one sprue that was most bothering me doesn't belong in the kit at all.  It makes much more sense now.

Not sure about how far distant.  I don't think that there need be any great rush, given the Oxford diecast.  Just those people with pre-bodged tank transporters and a streak of stubborn.  Other descriptions may apply.

• Haha 1

Now you can go hunting for the kit the orphan sprue comes from. Model-Making the hobby that keeps on giving..... :D

@Seahawk My bench is rather full at the moment but an Aifrix Matador and Scammell are only about five feet away. So who knows? I haven't a clue how long..... Thank You for the article again. A long time ago I drove a Pioneer which showed me how HGVs had progressed, slow with an appalling turning circle but 'interesting' when they got any speed up on those huge tyres.

• Like 1

The mystery contributor kit is probably fairly obvious, but not to me.  The distinctive parts are a row of maybe 20 small rollers (some missing), but instead of a simple stub axle they have cones on either side.  So they come from a kit with two walls?  The plastic appears to be the same as the Airfix standard.

I thought Churchill from the two walls, but whilst I remember the little sub-assemblies for the wheels I don't recall the return rollers.  Ah well, it's a long time since I made one.  The Airfix Churchill has a complete top to the upper tracks, so would any return rollers be visible (or required?)

Edited by Graham Boak
Second thoughts, before Pete in Lincs replied.

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The mystery contributor kit is probably fairly obvious, but not to me.  The distinctive parts are a row of maybe 20 small rollers (some missing), but instead of a simple stub axle they have cones on either side.  So they come from a kit with two walls?  The plastic appears to be the same as the Airfix standard.

Sounds like Airfix LVT-4 Buffalo.  

• Like 2