The New 1/48th Revell Beaufighter TF.X,,...... FINISHED

tonyot

Tony,

Many thanks for an honest and forthright review of the Revell kit which really helps me out. When I first heard about this kit and then read one or two 'informed' reviews, I feared that I was probably going to have to dispose of all of my carefully collected Tamiya kits, complete with their Cutting Edge and KMC resin aftermarket sets, and start again. The 'official reviews' of the Revell kit were glowing and whilst I recognise that the new kit is far more comprehensive and contains considerably more detail than the 20+ year old Tamiya offering, I'm not sure that I will need to go for a fleet-wide exchange. Those fit issues you relate to (and clearly illustrate too) are making me think twice. I dare say, I will probably opt for one or two to offer some variation but it now looks very likely that I will keep the vast majority of my older Tamiya Beaufighter kits. I will, for sure, continue to follow this and your Tamiya build on the other thread.

As always, looking good, and you continue to astound with the hairy stick...to misquote Aragon "You've got some skill with a brush !".

Cheers

Mark 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Tony,

Many thanks for an honest and forthright review of the Revell kit which really helps me out. When I first heard about this kit and then read one or two 'informed' reviews, I feared that I was probably going to have to dispose of all of my carefully collected Tamiya kits, complete with their Cutting Edge and KMC resin aftermarket sets, and start again. The 'official reviews' of the Revell kit were glowing and whilst I recognise that the new kit is far more comprehensive and contains considerably more detail than the 20+ year old Tamiya offering, I'm not sure that I will need to go for a fleet-wide exchange. Those fit issues you relate to (and clearly illustrate too) are making me think twice. I dare say, I will probably opt for one or two to offer some variation but it now looks very likely that I will keep the vast majority of my older Tamiya Beaufighter kits. I will, for sure, continue to follow this and your Tamiya build on the other thread.

As always, looking good, and you continue to astound with the hairy stick...to misquote Aragon "You've got some skill with a brush !".

Cheers

Mark 

Glad to be of help Mark and thank you. I have come to the very same conclusion as yourself about the Revell kit and retaining Tamiya kits too. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

I quite fancy doing. Mk.ii at some point in the all black scheme. You don’t get to see much of the interior and they didn’t seem to park with flaps down, so they’re probably not enough to tempt me away from Tamiya. Also the lack of one piece exhaust ring is a bit of a pain too. Enjoying following your builds. You’ve just reminded me that I think I have an Aviology decal sheet some where that I reviewed several years ago so need to dig it out :)

I mentioned the lack of a one-piece collector ring in this kit review.

Chris

• Like 2

Just found your build thread Tony, looks like a very nice kit to build and you work is fantastic. The painting looks excellent, although, why you paint all of the inside of the fus, puzzels me!!!

Colin

Hiya Folks,

Well I tackled the undercarriage yesterday,...... and what a balls ache that was! More fiddly work with over engineered parts and the instructions don`t help much either! They were left overnight for the glue to dry and hopefully they will be a bit stronger then they were while undergoing assembly,..... I added the Tamiya wheels instead of the Revell wheels which can be seen in the foreground,.... as the Tamiya parts had better detail;

DSCF4962

I really am not looking forward to fitting these as I think that they will break,..... but we will see!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Hiya Folks,.... another update,...... I`ve got the decals on and next stage is to tidy up the invasion stripes;

DSCF4968DSCF4969

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

What do you have to tidy on the D-Day stripes? If I remember correctly, I read they were painted in the field, so some roughness in the paintjob would be ok.

I have to paint in the missing sections of black,...... the decals are from a Tamiya kit and don`t fit as well,......plus the landing light section has been covered over on this particular Beau and the black parts over the air intake fairings need to be added. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

What do you think of the nose shape on the Revell kit? The nose on the Tamiya one looks, well, odd to me from certain angles.

I totally agree,..... I`ve always thought that the Tamiya nose looks strange and I think that it may be because the windscreen is too upright? The Revell kit does look much better in this regard.

54 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Looks superb, adding the stripes and decals has brought it to life

Cheers bud,..... I hate applying D-Day stripes but they do add something to a model! 

The stripes certainly do add something to a model but are a pita to apply, I usually try to find schemes with just the lower surface and fuselage stripes, or even better just the fuselage underside, but then I'm just lazy.

John

• Like 1

Looking great, Tony!  I'm trying to resist buying one of these at the moment as I'm saving my pennies.

Is it just my eyes, or are both ailerons posed pointing up at the moment?

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

Looking great, Tony!  I'm trying to resist buying one of these at the moment as I'm saving my pennies.

Is it just my eyes, or are both ailerons posed pointing up at the moment?

Regards

Martin

Cheers Martin,...... I`ve fixed them properly loads of times but with all the handling one of them keeps snapping off,..... once I`ve got to the end of painting and weathering I`ll sort it out properly,...... I just cannot be bothered gluing it again as it will only come loose again!

All the best mate

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi Tony, just had a great catch up of this & your Tamiya Beau builds, brilliant, not sure why I missed it till now, must be the 1/48 bit put me off & I didn't take the time to look at who was doing it, silly me, I should know better at my age. :unsure: Some of the stuff relating to the individual kits is a bit lost to me but the Beaufighter lore is always welcome & I do like what you're doing. I'll try to pay better attention in future. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

I know that it doesn`t seem like much progress, but the invasion stripes have been tidied up and matt varnish applied, ready for a bit of weathering;

DSCF4975DSCF4974

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 7

Thanks Chris,

Well I`ve done a bit more and it is almost finished,.... the undercarriage, flaps, exhausts and propellers have been added;

DSCF4979DSCF4980DSCF4981

I still have to paint on the Brick Red for the dinghy hatch sealing strips plus of course the Tamiya rockets and a few final jobs,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve added the antenna on the side of the nose and the large whip antenna on the top of the fuselage,....... stick the last bits on,.... and it is finished!!!! It has been a bit of a trial at times but it looks every inch a Beaufighter and dare I say,.... more accurate than the Tamiya kit, especially around the cockpit;

DSCF4998_NEW_NEWDSCF5012_NEWDSCF5003_NEWDSCF5005_NEWDSCF5001_NEWDSCF4996_NEW_NEW

I`ll stick a RFI on later,.... cheers for the encouragement along the way everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Another great build Tony - nice one mate.

Iain

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work Tony.  The Beau looks flippin fantastic. 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers fella`s,..... thanks for saying so and glad you like it,

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Evening Tony Three Beaus😁

That’s a bit of a beast that is👍🏻 Another wonderful model from the hands of a master!

I’m scratching my head about the difference around the cockpit as it isn’t something I picked up from hours of Staring at Photos! Could you put it and the Tamiya one nose-to-nose so that I can eyeball the profiles of each?

Trevor

• Like 1