1/48 Airfix Hurricane

Edge

Having lost a little mojo in recent months I spent a pleasant hour or so on Saturday re-attaching undercarriage and various pieces of an Airfix Spitfire Mk.XII that had been dropped by an in-law (don't you just love 'em?!) 

Anyhow, I enjoyed that so much that I dug out a stalled Airfix Hurricane & had a short play. Using the excellent thread from Basilisk I'd made a few "improvements" (well changes at least!). I carried on with the radiator and got as far as attaching the unit to the fuselage & affixing the supports. Holes drilled in the radiator shell - badly drilled I must add, allowed 0.5mm brass rod to be used as support material. Thin superglue is holding them in place as well as hopefully starting to rebuild the side which I clumsily drilled through!

44737520661_64a293fb2c_h.jpgRIMG0819 by edge957, on Flickr

44737521611_858ffa6210_h.jpgRIMG0818 by edge957, on Flickr

43829139885_a3f064defd_h.jpgRIMG0817 by edge957, on Flickr

44688281552_67cb1f2a2c_h.jpgRIMG0816 by edge957, on Flickr

43829151255_f6aaa7734c_h.jpgRIMG0815 by edge957, on Flickr

Here's hoping the mojo lasts!

Edge

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I've been plodding along slowly with this, but the kit seems to fight me all the way!

So far I've painted & weathered the Brassin exhausts

45037382484_507ff306b7_z.jpgRIMG0874 by edge957, on Flickr

Fiddled with both landing lights using some scratch, lenses from Modelling Tools and some etch from Griffon. Looks OK to the naked eye, but macro shows the off-centre etch as well as the black paint chipped off!

The kit lens covers now won't fit so I've removed a small amount of plastic from the edges of the apperture so I can try to apply some clear tape after painting. That should be fun!

45037384644_751e864e2a_z.jpgRIMG0872 by edge957, on Flickr

Still playing with the radiator area, with the exhaust flap positioned open I have passed some 0.5mm plastic rod through to locate in the recesses which I previously dotted some black paint to simulate the holes that are there and which the rods pass through on the real aircraft. In hindsight 0.5mm may be a little thick.

44848990335_cfa5b55572_z.jpgRIMG0871 by edge957, on Flickr

The last of my struggles so far has been with masking the canopy, something I have never really mastered. I applied Tamiya tape, burnished with a pointy cocktail stick and trimmed the edges using a new #11 Swann Morton blade. Yet the masking appears to be missapen. I tried several of the 'panes' more than once, always with similar results. Is it me or could there be something in the way that the part is tooled that means the frame is not a neat edge?

Anyhow I've orderd a set of canopy masks to see if that improves things!

45037380254_1aeb69f9f0_z.jpgRIMG0876 by edge957, on Flickr

45037378884_f16349d3da_z.jpgRIMG0877 by edge957, on Flickr

I'd like to get this beast finished and off my desk because I'm joining the Maritime Patrol GB which starts on Dec 1st. Wish me luck!!

Edge

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

After months of inactivity on the modelling front due to work commitments but, if I am brutally honest, a lack of mojo and excess of procrastination, I've done a little on the stalled Hurricane. Not huge amounts, but at least there's a little colour on there now!

Having tried pre-shading on an earlier build (Airfix Spitfite XII) and liking the result I considered going down that route again, however that process doesn't work so well with such dark camouflage colours unless one is extremely good with an airbrush - which I am not! So I am going to try post shading, once I've read up on methods, mixing colours etc.

So for now just a couple of iPhone pics of her on my new stand.

IMG_2776

IMG_2777

The flash has bleached the Xtracrylix Sky so it looks much greyer (almost primer) when in reality it has a fairly even coat.

Next on the plan is to apply a lightened version of Sky to the control surfaces and investigate ways of breaking up that uniformity. More soon - hopefully!

Edge

After months of inactivity I've managed to find a little modelling mojo for the 2nd day in succession.....

Not a huge amount to report. I mixed a lighter shade of RAF Sky by adding some Tamiya X-2 white to my usual Xtracrylix RAF Sky (they don't really mix too well) and sprayed random panels in an attempt to break up the monotone covering. It's barely visible so I may add more later.

IMG_2779

Next I decided to play with the control surfaces by masking off the visible ribs and spraying the 'saggy' fabric sections with Tamiya Smoke. I did the ailerons first in what now looks to be a rather heavy handed attempt. Next I tried the same with the elevators and was a little more successful at achieving something subtle.

IMG_2780

IMG_2782

I think I'll try some more lightening and swish the airbrush lightly over the ailerons to try to tone down the starved horse look.

TTFN

Edge

• 4 months later...

Well after having a rotten time career-wise and generally losing any motivation for anything, I've returned to the Hurricane for a few moments. 

In an attempt to try something completely new, I bought a set of airbrush templates and set about the Earth topside with a lightened shade. Aiming for a random pattern, this is the outcome of my 1st attempt:

49018288093_f80b4bfa87_k.jpgIMG_3143 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

49018288158_f9aecd3f70_k.jpgIMG_3144 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

And this is the template I used for to achieve the mottling:

49018288233_eca6a75c4d_k.jpgIMG_3145 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Til next time

Edge

• Like 4

Mojo at least partially restored, I did a little more on the Hurricane today. Well, what I actually did was prove that I don't have the skills or patience to paint camouflage freehand....

Perhaos with a lot of practice I'll get there, but I have some flatting and re-painting in my future! 

Edge

• Like 2

14 hours ago, shortCummins said:

is that one of the Iwata-Medea templates?

it looks as if its worked well

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Hi John

It's not. It's called Artool FX and came in a set of 3 from Airbrushes.com (I've no connection to them). It was a little fiddly to try to hold model, mask and airbrush at the same time, particularly on the fuselage.

Edge

• Like 1

thanks for the info Edge, I've just had a look and they appear to be the "original" versions, Iwata market them as their own? but they look exactly the same to me, by-the-by the Iwata version is £18.40 + delivery (Amazon,co.uk) and the airbrushes.com version is £15.80 (+ delivery?)

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 09:38, Edge said:

I've been plodding along slowly with this, but the kit seems to fight me all the way!

So far I've painted & weathered the Brassin exhausts

45037382484_507ff306b7_z.jpgRIMG0874 by edge957, on Flickr

Fiddled with both landing lights using some scratch, lenses from Modelling Tools and some etch from Griffon. Looks OK to the naked eye, but macro shows the off-centre etch as well as the black paint chipped off!

The kit lens covers now won't fit so I've removed a small amount of plastic from the edges of the apperture so I can try to apply some clear tape after painting. That should be fun!

45037384644_751e864e2a_z.jpgRIMG0872 by edge957, on Flickr

Still playing with the radiator area, with the exhaust flap positioned open I have passed some 0.5mm plastic rod through to locate in the recesses which I previously dotted some black paint to simulate the holes that are there and which the rods pass through on the real aircraft. In hindsight 0.5mm may be a little thick.

44848990335_cfa5b55572_z.jpgRIMG0871 by edge957, on Flickr

The last of my struggles so far has been with masking the canopy, something I have never really mastered. I applied Tamiya tape, burnished with a pointy cocktail stick and trimmed the edges using a new #11 Swann Morton blade. Yet the masking appears to be missapen. I tried several of the 'panes' more than once, always with similar results. Is it me or could there be something in the way that the part is tooled that means the frame is not a neat edge?

Anyhow I've orderd a set of canopy masks to see if that improves things!

45037380254_1aeb69f9f0_z.jpgRIMG0876 by edge957, on Flickr

45037378884_f16349d3da_z.jpgRIMG0877 by edge957, on Flickr

I'd like to get this beast finished and off my desk because I'm joining the Maritime Patrol GB which starts on Dec 1st. Wish me luck!!

Edge

I find when doing Hurricane canopies ,if you cut the tape into long thin strips along a metal ruler then lay it across the glazed areas then you just have to cut the intersections. Fill in the middle with maskol or other masking fluid.

Paul

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paulaero said:

I find when doing Hurricane canopies ,if you cut the tape into long thin strips along a metal ruler then lay it across the glazed areas then you just have to cut the intersections. Fill in the middle with maskol or other masking fluid.

Paul

Thanks for the tip Paul. It never occurred to me to use thin strips of tape -doh! 

Edge

13 hours ago, shortCummins said:

thanks for the info Edge, I've just had a look and they appear to be the "original" versions, Iwata market them as their own? but they look exactly the same to me, by-the-by the Iwata version is £18.40 + delivery (Amazon,co.uk) and the airbrushes.com version is £15.80 (+ delivery?)

Yes I paid around £16. I have done a bit of googling since buying them& it seems there are plenty out there, it's just a case of choosing those with suitably sized patterns.

One thing to add is that mine are made of a relatively stiff material which made it difficult to use on the radius of the fuselage. The mask would flex a little but it's not particularly 'rubbery.' Hope that makes sense?

Edge

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Good luck with your Hurricane.  

Personally I like the model having built three (2 X BOB & 1 X Sea Hurricane) and am just about to  commence my forth (Trop)..

Thanks!

I am slowly getting back into things - I've spent an hour or so today tinkering. Part of the problem is that I try too many new things on one model and am then disappointed that it doesn't look as I'd like. I guess I need to practice more!

It is a lovely kit - it's me that's the issue!!

Edge

Having messed up the painting earlier this week, I wet flatted with micromesh to lose the steps between the paint colours & re-applied the RAF Dark Earth using my go-to Xtracrylix.

One of the things I learned on my first attempt at shading is that Xtracrylix & Tamiya paints aren't a perfect blend, with some separation of the Tamiya white and Xtracrylix dark earth when mixed with Xtracrylix thinner. This time I used a newly purchesed Xtracrylix white to lighten some panels in a fairly random fashion, with panel lines picked out with the same dark earth with a drop of Xtracrylix Night Black added. I found the black to be a very strong colour, so much that I had to add oodles more dark earth to bring it even relatively close to a darker shade of the base colour. Next time I'll try a mid to dark grey.

Anyhow, here's where I'm up to so far:

49032919438_62004a4c4b_c.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

49032919423_bf152f5487_c.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

I'm quite happy with this as a first attempt. Next I forsee some blue tac sausage making, followed by some RAF dark green.

Edge

• Like 2

On 05/11/2019 at 14:42, Edge said:

Well after having a rotten time career-wise and generally losing any motivation for anything, I've returned to the Hurricane for a few moments. 

In an attempt to try something completely new, I bought a set of airbrush templates and set about the Earth topside with a lightened shade. Aiming for a random pattern, this is the outcome of my 1st attempt:

49018288093_f80b4bfa87_k.jpgIMG_3143 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

49018288158_f9aecd3f70_k.jpgIMG_3144 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

And this is the template I used for to achieve the mottling:

49018288233_eca6a75c4d_k.jpgIMG_3145 by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Til next time

Edge

That's Clever , I like that

A little more time & experimentation (for me at least) on the Hurricane today. 

Having messed up the camouflage last time, I masked with blue-tac & copydex before spraying the RAF Dark Green Xtracrylix. I stuck with the Night Black as to darken the green as I thought the green could cope better, being darker than the earth tones. I added white to lighten selected panels.

49038249247_795ef6f033_b.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

49038033861_b3b39e4678_b.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Removing the masking, always a nervous time revealed a not too bad result. A little bit of an edge on one wing where paint has seeped beneath the blue-tac and a couple of areas where the brown has lifted. All in all, I'm quite pleased.

49037531293_40330d8cf1_b.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

49038249177_c6309d0fcd_b.jpg

Untitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Edge

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Looks like a really nice effort there! I hadn't come across the bluetack and copydex method (although i am newly back so hardly surprising) it looks veru effective.

Thanks!

Not sure where I nicked the idea from, but it's quite effective. 

Edge

• Like 1

Edge,

Nice work, I think, on your Hurricane.  I also have the Artfix template.  I learned about that from reviewing a Modeling News blog on an Eduard Hawker Tempest build, and the gent actually used the template to spray both lighter and darker shades over his camo colors.  I'm inclined to want to use that template as a method to provide some varied preshading, as I don't have enough confidence to try to use it for alternate colors over a 'final' camo color.  I have begun using MRP (Mr. Paint) colors, though, and being that those paints (sometime erroneously referred to as 'inks') are as thin as water, albeit heavily pigmented, and you can spray such thin layers of paint that a preshade with that template can be used to decent effect.  I really like your camo colors, though.

Edited by Curt B

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 1:28 AM, Curt B said:

Edge,

Nice work, I think, on your Hurricane.  I also have the Artfix template.  I learned about that from reviewing a Modeling News blog on an Eduard Hawker Tempest build, and the gent actually used the template to spray both lighter and darker shades over his camo colors.  I'm inclined to want to use that template as a method to provide some varied preshading, as I don't have enough confidence to try to use it for alternate colors over a 'final' camo color.  I have begun using MRP (Mr. Paint) colors, though, and being that those paints (sometime erroneously referred to as 'inks') are as thin as water, albeit heavily pigmented, and you can spray such thin layers of paint that a preshade with that template can be used to decent effect.  I really like your camo colors, though.

Have to admit to feeling a little disappointed in the masks. They obscure the base colour meaning you can't see to judge any colour variation until you move it. I ended up with a poor marbling effect.

I like your idea for using them during pre-shading - I'll pinch that for next time!

Edge