1/72 Halifax Friday the 13th

Vinnie

On 9/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, harry said:

On the back of what Steve has highlighted about the fin flash being on back to front, if you look at the newspaper article as to how the aircraft was named a video pops up which shows Friday the 13th at the Yorkshire Air Museum and the fin flash on the starboard side is wrong as well.

Indeed it does.  One side is painted up in the markings of one of the Free French Squadrons based here, including roundels and fin flashes in French colours i.e. the other way round to British markings.

• Thanks 1

'Friday's 128 operations were a record for a Halifax. The airframe was taken on charge in March 1944 so only had just over 13 operational months. In contrast ED888 was operational from May 1943 until the end of 1944.

The constant, and necessary,  evolution of the Halifax made accumulation less likely.

• Thanks 2

On 9/18/2018 at 8:39 AM, Vinnie said:

Thanks, Joachim. The decals were a big problem all round. I bought them on eBay from a seller who seemed to have a few. I think they must have been manufacturer rejects as some of the colours were wrong and some letters were joined in the wrong place on the carrier film. The film also started disintegrating as soon as the decal s were dipped. Every one tore while I was trying to position them. so moving them around was severely difficult. The nose art was the most important but even that I had to trim some of the mission bomb markers. 

If you fancy changing the decals Sky Models do a sheet for the Halifax with a multitude of options including Friday 13th.  Very reasonable at £5.99 from Big H.

Super looking Halifax btw.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:10 PM, gamevender said:

When I was at the Yorkshire museum, two different aircraft were represented by painting different markings on each side. Also, it was not a "whole" aircraft, but rather was made up of parts from several other airframes if I recall. 

I believe they utilised some parts from a Hastings in the build.  The wings, I seem to remember.

• Thanks 1

A note of caution if I may. The Sky decals sheet has the wrong colours for Friday's nose art. Pretty unforgivable since colour photographs and the real thing exist to be consulted.

The sheet Airfix produced with the reissue of their Halifax is much better and can be found on popular auction sites.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

As a comparison, here's the English and French sides of the YAM Halifax. I got a tour inside this May so it's nice to see a model of the original "Friday".

elv_halifax30.jpg

elv_halifax39.jpg

And both Starboard sides of the fin flashes are reversed on the French side. Our re-enactmant camp is in the background.

Edited by Steve27752
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

A note of caution if I may. The Sky decals sheet has the wrong colours for Friday's nose art. Pretty unforgivable since colour photographs and the real thing exist to be consulted.

The sheet Airfix produced with the reissue of their Halifax is much better and can be found on popular auction sites.

I believe it may be the Airfix decal sheet I bought on eBay. As I said earlier I think they may have been rejects as the fin flashes were wrong, some of the letters were incorrectly positioned on the carrier film and the film started to disintegrate as soon as it was dipped. Every decal on my model had to be touched up or repaired. The only way I could save the nose art was to cut away some of the bombing mission markers. BTW, thanks for the heads up about the Sky decals inaccuracy. 

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Vinnie

hope this is of interest

The luckiest aircraft was Flak Bait

A B-26,  202 missions, and kept for posterity, but in bits at the mo

the highest British mission tally was a Lancaster, ED888

from

https://johnknifton.com/tag/mike-squared/

S for Sugar at Hendon was the 2nd highest tally, but at least 30 Lancs went over the century mark of missions, there is a book on them, Ton Up Lancs

I don't have the book so can't comment on it.

Cheers

T

Thanks again, Troy. I have edited my original post so as not to perpetuate the inaccuracy that I read on the internet. I'm currently looking for a decal set for ED888, any ideas? 

30 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks again, Troy. I have edited my original post so as not to perpetuate the inaccuracy that I read on the internet. I'm currently looking for a decal set for ED888, any ideas? 

Memory tells me the late 70's Airfix Lancaster , their second tool of the plane, had this as a decal option, but I'm sure it has been on other decal sheets too.

No time to have a search right now.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Memory tells me the late 70's Airfix Lancaster , their second tool of the plane, had this as a decal option, but I'm sure it has been on other decal sheets too.

I'll save you the search Troy 🙂  Yes, definitely included with the second Airfix Lancaster incarnation, so there should be plenty around, in people's spares too.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Oh darn.  Thanks for the heads up.

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

....I've barely got room....

You could do what I do. I have a base board about 15 inches square, with fine wet and dry paper glued down for the concrete surface. It is sprayed concrete grey, with some black tar lines done with a fine line pen, and a bit of foliage along the back edge. The backdrop is an A4 print of RAF Church Fenton. I put my models on the board, up against the printed backdrop for photos, and then pack it away again in a cupboard until next time! 

norseman_2018_002.jpg

seaking_2018_003.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

You could do what I do. I have a base board about 15 inches square, with fine wet and dry paper glued down for the concrete surface. It is sprayed concrete grey, with some black tar lines done with a fine line pen, and a bit of foliage along the back edge. The backdrop is an A4 print of RAF Church Fenton. I put my models on the board, up against the printed backdrop for photos, and then pack it away again in a cupboard until next time! 

Good idea, Stephen. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:55 PM, Vicarage Vee said:

Thanks for the heads up on that.  Managed to source the Airfix decal set from ebay as a result.  Difficult to imagine how Sky Models got it wrong, especially considering that the original artwork still survives, but I did find a colour profile on Wings Palette which has the same errors so presumably this is where Sky Models got their info.  Anyway, thanks for that.