1/72 Halifax Friday the 13th

Vinnie

For those not familiar with this Aircraft, Friday the 13th. was thought to be the luckiest Halifax of WW2 because it brought it's crew home safely from 128 missions.
It was even put on display in the center of war torn London after VE Day for the public
to view. Sadly, LV907 was scrapped shortly after this for much needed metals in the rebuilding
of post-war Britain. A replica of her can be found at the Yorkshire Air Museum.

There is an interesting newspaper article which explains how she got her unusual name.
If you are interested. it's here. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592814/Lucky-World-War-2-bomber-named-Friday-13th-flew-successful-missions-celebrates-70th-anniversary.html

Ffriday-the-13th-scrapped.jpg

LV907 on display in London 1945.

44665488442_721e750f1a_c.jpg

44686068932_4724b92809_c.jpg

43826885005_e79265e66a_c.jpg

43826884045_94bebda947_c.jpg

44686067242_9e411db0e8_c.jpg

30865000958_84bd486251_c.jpg

30865000388_fc3f7eb80a_c.jpg

30864998478_afdd4a3bdb_c.jpg

30864997868_e3c37fe032_c.jpg

• Like 45

Lovely job there my mate 👍🏽and good clean photographs as well- I needed to see another one of these to keep me fired up as I've got one next in line from the stash- I'm gonna opt for a OOB coastal command version- however I can't crack on with it as yet as the clutter and temporary lack of space in the garage is causing me too much head noise at the mo! Good job well done 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kapam said:

Looks great!

What kit?  What scale?  My apologies if clearly stated and I have failed to see it.

Always cool to see a Halifax in among the many Lancs.

:goodjob:

I'd say it's the Revell 1/72 kit.

Chris

16 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Magnificent build of this remarkably lucky aeroplane!

But you have to retouch or change those misaligned upper wing roundels that are 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks, Joachim. The decals were a big problem all round. I bought them on eBay from a seller who seemed to have a few. I think they must have been manufacturer rejects as some of the colours were wrong and some letters were joined in the wrong place on the carrier film. The film also started disintegrating as soon as the decal s were dipped. Every one tore while I was trying to position them. so moving them around was severely difficult. The nose art was the most important but even that I had to trim some of the mission bomb markers. 

• Like 1

On the back of what Steve has highlighted about the fin flash being on back to front, if you look at the newspaper article as to how the aircraft was named a video pops up which shows Friday the 13th at the Yorkshire Air Museum and the fin flash on the starboard side is wrong as well.

20 hours ago, Pandoa said:

Lovely job there my mate 👍🏽and good clean photographs as well- I needed to see another one of these to keep me fired up as I've got one next in line from the stash- I'm gonna opt for a OOB coastal command version- however I can't crack on with it as yet as the clutter and temporary lack of space in the garage is causing me too much head noise at the mo! Good job well done 👍🏽

Thanks for the comments.

28 minutes ago, harry said:

On the back of what Steve has highlighted about the fin flash being on back to front, if you look at the newspaper article as to how the aircraft was named a video pops up which shows Friday the 13th at the Yorkshire Air Museum and the fin flash on the starboard side is wrong as well.

20 minutes ago, gamevender said:

When I was at the Yorkshire museum, two different aircraft were represented by painting different markings on each side. Also, it was not a "whole" aircraft, but rather was made up of parts from several other airframes if I recall. 

Gamevender is correct. As this was a replica built up from several aircraft, one side was finished in French colours and the other as LV907.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kapam said:

Looks great!

What kit?  What scale?  My apologies if clearly stated and I have failed to see it.

Always cool to see a Halifax in among the many Lancs.

:goodjob:

Hi, Kapam. Thanks for the comment. @dogsbodyis correct. It's the 1/72 Revell offering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Excellent Hallybag.

I've got one in the stash but plan to do it in a French scheme, as on the starboard side of the YAM aircraft. Hope it turns out as well as yours.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. It is a nice kit but I did struggle with the fitting of the nacelles. Probably me, but perhaps best to dry fit first when you start it. I've just noticed that the upper turret on my model looks completely wrong when compared with the original. Looks more like a Lancaster.

On 17/9/2018 at 12:04, Vinnie said:

Sadly, LV907 was scrapped

the nose art survives, and is on display at the RAF museum. (or was)

CUa9FgTWIAAGMRL.jpg

here's a period colours shot of the nose art

Hallibag_40.jpg&key=c115273019e04a3b2835

note the red and light blue prop boss! 

one item missed, it seems many of 158 Sq Halifaxes had painted UC legs

neat build, hope the above of interest

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

Nice build.. Many years ago I built the Fonderie kit in the same markings.

However, just an observation, I think you'll find she had the cut off wing tips as you can see in your main photo and the one on your Daily Mail link.. Not difficult to correct I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Nice build.. Many years ago I built the Fonderie kit in the same markings.

However, just an observation, I think you'll find she had the cut off wing tips as you can see in your main photo and the one on your Daily Mail link.. Not difficult to correct I'm sure.

Now you mention it, yes I agree. The Fonderie kit also appears to have a more accurately shaped upper turret.

The 'Halibag' at YAM does indeed have the cut off wings. Also, when they made it they have put the props to revolve in the opposite direction. I am very fortunate that for the last couple of years as A member of Airfield at War Re-enactment group have been allowed access to this Halifax.

Edited by Steve27752

22 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks, Pete. It is a nice kit but I did struggle with the fitting of the nacelles. Probably me, but perhaps best to dry fit first when you start it. I've just noticed that the upper turret on my model looks completely wrong when compared with the original. Looks more like a Lancaster.

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for the advice. 👍

Pete

On 17/9/2018 at 12:04, Vinnie said:

For those not familiar with this Halifax, Friday the 13th. was thought to be the luckiest aircraft either
Allied or Axis during WW2 because it brought it's crew home safely from 128 missions.

Hi Vinnie

hope this is of interest

The luckiest aircraft was Flak Bait

A B-26,  202 missions, and kept for posterity, but in bits at the mo

Flak-Bait-U-H-2015-2759.jpg

the highest British mission tally was a Lancaster, ED888

This legendary Lancaster began its operational career on the night of May 4th 1943, initially in B Flight of 103 squadron, where she was known as “M-Mother”. In November 1943, to mark its fiftieth operation, the aircraft was awarded her very own Distinguished Flying Cross. When she then passed into Elsham’s second squadron, 576 squadron, she became known as “Mike Squared”. To commemorate her completion of one hundred sorties, the aircraft duly received a Distinguished Service Order. By now she had returned to 103 squadron and was known unofficially as “M-Mother-of-them-all”. Eventually to complete 140 operations with two Luftwaffe fighters shot down, ED888 finally received a Bar to her Distinguished Flying Cross:

ed888m.jpg?w=500&h=329

from

https://johnknifton.com/tag/mike-squared/

S for Sugar at Hendon was the 2nd highest tally, but at least 30 Lancs went over the century mark of missions, there is a book on them, Ton Up Lancs

I don't have the book so can't comment on it.

Cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1