1/48 Arii Spitfire Mk.VIII

Hi all,

Here is my latest – the 1970s era 1/48 Arii Spitfire Mk.VIII.  This one is built straight out of the box, with the addition of seat belts made from masking tape. It’s painted up in the markings of SQNLDR S. Susans of 79SQN RAAF, 1945, using the DK decals set plus some homemade masks.

I have fond memories of building this as a kid back in the early 90s, ham-fistedly painting it with thick coats of humbrol enamels and fictitious markings, and thought it would be fun to build it again~25 years later – indeed it was.

In comparison to the contemporary Eduard kit, this one certainly shows its age, but for the relative price difference (I picked this up for ~$10), it still builds up to a nice model relatively simply. On the negative side, the kit has a very simplistic and inaccurate cockpit, the canopy is thick, distorted, and doesn’t fit (lots of filling was needed here), some filling is needed around the wing attachments (roots, chin, under-fuselage), the chin scoop doesn’t fit, the exhausts are thick and simplistic, and the characteristic “gull” shaped wing / fuselage underside is not represented. On the plus side, this is a simple kit (only 40 pieces in total, it has some very fine recessed panel lines and rivet detail, and the overall shape looks like a Spitfire to me…!  

VIII01_zpsv8hzkmqi.jpg

VIII06_zps1m8lc3vz.jpg

VIII09_zpssih4kznt.jpg

VIII08_zpsefiirumf.jpg

VIII03_zps1munxomy.jpg

VIII07_zps3cwryigg.jpg

VIII02_zpsiwnnl7me.jpg

VIII04_zpsa8ftcdv6.jpg

VIII05_zpsmidpzgus.jpg

VIII10_zpspwzpqrk4.jpg

The (simple) interior:

VIII11_zpslknluwlo.jpg

And some fun with pre-shading:

VIII13_zps0e6nxiju.jpg

VIII12_zpscibadq51.jpg

Unfortunately, the pre-shading doesn’t show well in the photos, but at least I know it’s there :)

All in all I enjoyed this build and would recommend it to anyone after a (relatively) simple build.

All comments / feedback welcomed!

Cheers

BC

• Like 50

That brings back memories...

This was the first 1/48 scale kit I ever built and once I finished it I immediately went out and bought the Hasegawa Bf109 E3 (also in 1/48). From then on it was 1/48 all the way for me. I was converted. 

Have moved to scratchbuilding recently and now want to do ‘any subject any scale’ but this is nice to see anyway! 👍

A wonderful model and nice weathering.

I love the old Arii (Otaki) kits.  They usually have correct shape and dimensions, a nice rivet representation and are very receptive to after-market improvement.  Of course they demand some extra effort...

10 hours ago, Brad Cancian said:

I have fond memories of building this as a kid back in the early 90s, ham-fistedly painting it with thick coats of humbrol enamels and fictitious markings, and thought it would be fun to build it again~25 years later – indeed it was.

Ditto!

Nice job! Love the majority of the 1/48 series Arii/Otaki kits regardless their production era mould and less than Lidar scanned fidelity characteristics. Their Mk VIII is no exception. Superb canvas which still looks the part standoff OOTB.

Decals were different, arguably better, in the original Otaki IJN/IJA/Luftwaffe releases I built or bought, and the canopy moulds finer and clearer.