Where are the seat pins - Tornado

speedy

Morning all,

i’m doing a 1/32 Revell Tornado with the Airies cockpit, can somebody tell me where the seat pins are on the Mk10 early headbox please.

Steve.

On page 85 of the Haynes 'RAF Tornado 1974 onwards (all marks and models)' there is an annotated image of a Tornado GR.4 front cockpit which shows the storage to be four holes similar to jack plug sockets  (seats ,  EPS and MDC ) on the forward edge of the right console just ahead of the In-Flight Refueling, ILS Selector and Comms panels wand below the Central Warning Panel on the upright instrument panel.     Although not annotated the following page has a similar image of a Tornado ADV cockpit with four similar sockets in the same place.

Des thanks very much for that, I’ve only found one photo so far which has a pin on the aft of the headbox, so perhaps these modern seats that’s it.

Steve.

On Tornado there are 4 pins for the front cockpit ( seat which is coloured yellow, mdc, EPS, and I think canopy jettison these 3 are all red) all stowed when removed in the 4 holes by the CWP as stated earlier. When fitted the seat pin is in the base of the seat firing handle, MDC is in the left side of the canopy rail, canopy jettison at the rear left of the seat and the EPS guarding the switch above the CWP. Rear seat only has 2 pins (seat yellow again and MDC red) both stowed and fitted as per the front. 

On crew in the liney (Man removes the MDC after strapping the crew in and hands it to the occupant to stow. The seat pin is only removed when the jet is taxied from the HAS and is stopped clear of the shelter for the crew to remove the pin and show the pin to Man A before being allowed to carry on. 

Hope this helps! It’s been a while since I’ve done this (29 years!)

Edited by wasacop
Typing biff!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What pins are fitted to the seat depended on the aircraft state.

If the aircraft was at "safe for servicing" all pins would be fitted so there would be a pin visible on the top of the ejection gun behind the headbox.

If the aircraft  was at "safe for parking" i.e. just before or after flight there would only be the seat pan pin fitted. (and canopy pin fitted) as described above.

Selwyn

• Like 1