RAF Dragonfly HC.2

Julien

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

tRAF Whirlwinds and Sycamores were in dark Green/Dark earth, photos suggest the Dragonflies  (In the far east at least) were the same. For the Westland built examples, I think Black for the cockpit

LARGE-ORIGINAL-1950s-PHOTO-WESTLAND-DRAG

Thank you. Black for cockpit is pretty obvious here. Regarding external colours - strange where the OG/DG scheme came through with two manufacturers...

Following a review of RAF camouflage policy that took place in late 1949 and early 1950, Paragraph 37 of the ensuing report, dated 6 February 1950, was headed 'Helicopters' and stated that 

"No finish has as yet been laid down for these aircraft. It is recommended that the all over camouflage finish applied to A.O.P. aircraft should be adopted."

This recommendation was adopted and promulgated to the Service as part of AMO A.217/51 dated 19 April 1951.

The following year, Paragraph 15 of AMO A.658/52 dated 18 December 1952 was entitled 'Helicopter aircraft' and stated that 

"These aircraft are to have a lightweight finish, painted in the undermentioned colours:-

(a) Upper surfaces:-

(i) Unshaded areas ... Dark green 

(ii) Shaded areas ... Dark earth 

(b) Under surfaces:-

(i) Unshaded areas ... Dark green 

(ii) Shaded areas ... Dark earth"

The Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green scheme on RAF Helicopters dates from circa 1959/60.

Edited by Paul Lucas
Correcting punctuation.
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Following a review of RAF camouflage policy that took place in late 1949 and early 1950, Paragraph 37 of the ensuing report, dated 6 February 1950, was headed 'Helicopters' and stated that 

"No finish has as yet been laid down for these aircraft. It is recommended that the all over camouflage finish applied to A.O.P. aircraft should be adopted."

This recommendation was adopted and promulgated to the Service as part of AMO A.217/51 dated 19 April 1951

The first Dragonflies were assembled in April 1950 (although above photoes of WF311 state February 1950?) and delivered to Malaya in May 1950. 

Would they be painted according to the mentioned report already or the effect could take place only later in 1951?

Second question - could they be originally in DSG/DG scheme and later repainted in Malaya into DE/DG, say a year later?

Edited by Dennis_C

The first three Dragonflies operated by the RAF in Malaya were drawn from a batch being prepared for the Admiralty and I think that when these were first delivered they were finished in Aluminium so as to comply with the requirements of AFO 3/48 dated 2 January 1948 that called for communications aircraft to be 'silver'.

Thus the early Dragonflies were finished in Aluminium on the production line and then repainted into the Dark Earth and Dark Green scheme by the RAF following delivery. 

WF311 might have been the first Dragonfly to be finished in the Dark Earth and Dark Green scheme in the UK during February 195O, possibly to assess the suitability of the report's recommendation prior to the issue of a Modification Leaflet to the Service and a letter being sent to the manufacturer advising them of the new requirement.

The new colour scheme could have been introduced at any time after February 1950. The only way of determining when this might have been would be to locate a copy of the relevant Dragonfly Modification Leaflet.

As far as I can see, there is no possibility of RAF Dragonflies being repainted from a grey and green scheme into the Dark Earth and Dark Green AOP scheme during the period 1950-51.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Paul Lucas thank you for the very comprehensive insight into possible story of RAF Dragonflies paint scheme! That is very convincing and I agree Dark Earth is way more logical then Dark Sea Grey. 

Still a question where could both LF and AMP get the grey-green (Ocean Grey!!!) scheme for their RAF Dragonflies... 

13 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

@Paul Lucas thank you for the very comprehensive insight into possible story of RAF Dragonflies paint scheme! That is very convincing and I agree Dark Earth is way more logical then Dark Sea Grey. 

Still a question where could both LF and AMP get the grey-green (Ocean Grey!!!) scheme for their RAF Dragonflies... 

I suspect the scheme applied to an ex-RN Dragonfly for the RAF 50th anniversary display

1165956-large.jpg

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1165956

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I suspect the scheme applied to an ex-RN Dragonfly for the RAF 50th anniversary display

That may be the answer :) Still the grey colour applied here could be hardly described as 'Ocean Grey'. And why instructions do not suggest Light Aircraft Grey for the underside?

BTW I experimented with black and white photoes of DG/DE, DG/OG and DG/DSG aircraft from my collection. DG/DE indeed produces much weaker contrast that resembles b/w photoes from Malaya more. 

Speaking from memory from my National Service some 67 years ago in Malaya (as it was then known), Whirlwinds and Sycamores were DG/DE.  We only had one Dragonfly visit before they were replaced but I can't imagine they were painted any differently.

No chance to inspect this lone visitor as, according to records at Kew, it was to 'rush the Adjutant to hospital' to use modern parlance.  As I recall it touched down some 500 yards away, against the light and didn't stop the engine, so no chance for 'inspection'!

P.S If any contemporary reads this, do please get in touch.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/05/2023 at 14:22, Dave Fleming said:

LARGE-ORIGINAL-1950s-PHOTO-WESTLAND-DRAG

I've been thinking about cockpit colours of Dragonflies more... And on this particular photo - control column  is very unlikely black!

I also scanned through the photoes of Dragonflies in Malaya in David Taylor's book. Where cockpit is seen through the windows (mostly the control column too) - I'd say it is fairly light.

At the same time multiple walkarounds suggest black at least for later Westland-built modifications which probably went through certain restorations. Seems like another puzzle.