Bren Gun Carrier & 6lb AT Gun

Foxbat

I know I haven't actually started the Tomcat and there are only 3 weeks left, but this fell into my basket in the LMS yesterday and it would be rude not to at least attempt it. I like the symmetry of starting and ending with targets too.

The box. There was a sale on so I didn't pay all that for it.

aSDHNJ6.jpg

And the contents - they only half filled the box which makes me think this issue was sized by marketing rather than engineering.

XmePGgu.jpg

Now I've over-committed and have way too much to do before the deadline I can finally relax and enjoy myself :) 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a little look at the sprues over breakfast and had a little fettle. Got the build to this point before me porridge went cold.

9jnmzKi.jpg

One of my other purchases on Saturday was this set:

wGQmpik.jpg

I know they have something of a mixed reputation hereabouts, but I am a paint magpie and don't have any of the colours in any other ranges. I tried them on the Cromwell in the background above and they've been great so far; decent coverage straight from the bottle onto unprimed plastic matches or betters Vallejo, Tamiya and Xtracrylics so I'm happy.

Andy

• Like 5

Another blast from the past! I have sort of happy memories of this kit. I bought one with my pocket money way back in time. I remember feeling very hard done by once the size of it was revealed. It's a tiny little combo. I think I must have bought the Bloodhound the week before or something, that one seemed so much better value for my pocket money.

Having said all that, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together. Nice looking box as well.

Airfix seem to be acknowledging that their older kits just can't sit alongside later offerings. The Classics series is a fair compromise there.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

I have also built this one before and I'm sure that one was in a more appropriately sized box. Good to see the artwork hasn't substantially changed over the last 50 years, and the decal  sheet is exactly the same. 

I have made more progress. Pictures soon. 

Andy

• Like 3

I've always wondered where the drivers legs go?

Also, the card header mentions the Boys anti tank rifle.

I'm sure I've only ever seen it spelt Boyes. Which I now know is wrong.

See, BM is educashun learning stuff.

• Haha 3

So, the promised picture from breakfast time. Most things done bar the shouting:

UERVCsB.jpg

and by lunch time some of the shouting had been done too. The gun has also been started but it's camera shy so far:

dfwWxoa.jpg

Andy

Moving swiftly on

• Like 7

You're too kind. I can see a few slips that I intend to cover with a bit of weathering. Some of the detail painting was a case of waft and hope with my finest brush coz I just couldn't focus enough to do it properly.

As to the painting, years of stylised Warhammer figure painting is finally paying dividends; slap a base colour on then let washes and dry brushing do all the hard work :) 

Andy

• Like 4

The gun in progress. More accurately, the gun almost complete. There are only 12 parts up to this point so no intermediate construction pics as they would have taken longer than the build did. I've left the wheels off for now so I can paint the tyres.

Had a change of heart too and added the names to the carrier. I wasn't sure there was room for them but working in stages means I got everything on. Just need a final weather to tone them down and make them look as old as the rest of the paint. Not looking forward to that bit, I've wrecked more than one promising model trying to blend in and weather markings :( 

Anyhoo,a picture. We like pictures

.PDdr8wQ.jpg

That's horribly blurry. Looks like I can have extreme close ups OR depth of focus. I'll take a better pic when there's something more to see.

Andy

Work in progress

• Like 5

I'm calling this one done. Airfix provide decals for the gun shield but all contemporary pictures point to them not being used in the field which makes sense, so I've not added them. 

Here is the compulsory penny shot. Few more pics in the gallery, one or more of which may be in focus.

p1Zh4Ba.jpg

Andy

Tomcatin' 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Excellent job, Andy, and an interesting subject. Another small kit made into a great model. All the best, Mike. 

Thank you. I think small scale armour may be my forte - it certainly seems to respond best to my favourite techniques.

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Top work! That REALLY must be tiny! 👍

That's a 1cm grid it's photographed on. The carrier is pretty much exactly 2 inches/5cm long as close as I can measure it.

Andy

• Like 2

Good to see you tackling one of these new Vintage Classic kits Foxbat.

The end result is just lovely and the more we all support this new Hornby initiative, the more chance we have of some of our other favourites making a welcome re-appearance,

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job!

I never thought about it as a kid, but looking at the artwork, that's a very odd elevation for an anti-tank gun!

Ian

It is, and having the carrier on a crest between the gun and the target is a recipe for disaster. Very Commando comic though so that's alright :D 

I've done a bit of digging since I posted the pics and as far as I can tell, the markings are supposed to represent 5th Seaforth Highlanders, a unit of 51st (Highland) Division.  In which case, the white background to the HD should be navy blue instead of white. I promise I won't tell if you won't though.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3