'Best' 1/48 & 1/72 scale Panzer IV's ?

Gav G

I'm finally managing to scrape together some modelling time after starting a new post in January(!).  I'm currently building a Tamiya Panzer IV H in 1/35 (35209) and have a 1/35 Dragon IV G in my small stash (6363) but I thought it would be a nice idea to build up a 1/48 and 1/72 scale Panzer IV just for the hell of it / scale comparison / I should be at least able to find time to build a 1/72 tank sometime soon!

So could you tell me which are the best (without being stupidly priced) 1/48 and 1/72 scale Panzer IV's* ?   Thanks!

*Any version will do.

Hi Gav

In 1/48 the Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf H (32584) is the only game in town. There was an earlier kit Ausf J (32518) which has fewer parts and a white metal tub which was under length. The later kit of the Wirbelwind was corrected as was the Ausf H kit. Otherwise it's a very decent kit to build and you can dress it up easily enough. Nigel at Parabellum Models in Birmingham is the 'go to' guy for 1/48 armour and responds well to e-mails.

• Thanks 1

In 1/72 I'd look at the Revell Ausf H (these are what I bought for my own collection):

102203-10849-pristine.jpg

There's a world of aftermarket for this kit, depending on how mad you want go.  :nerd:

Zvezda also do an Ausf H, I've not seen it but I understand it's a decent kit:

s-l640.jpg

I'd also recommend @alexclark's book, it's a handy guide to modelling the type in 1/72 and the Revell kit features quite prominently:

51R9KFVKP4L._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

PS - Avoid Dragon's 1/72 Panzer IV Ausf H like the plague.  :shutup:

• Thanks 1

Until very recently I have considered the Revell Ausf H as being the only solution for the 1/72 PzKpfw IV.

Some time ago I have bought the Zvezda 5017 kit and my visions have been changed diametrally.

Have a look at the topic : Which Panzer IV Ausf. H in 1/72 ? By KRK4m, July 16, 2017 in WWII

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Thanks 1

I assume you mean THIS thread?

Hatches moulded shut, rubber band tracks, and decals are all features of Zvezda which, IMHO, mean I'd consider it for a conversion if the price was right and if I'd used aftermarket tracks to give me a spare set of Revell ones.

I'd back the Revell one as it builds easily and is easier to find. My nephews (10 years at the time) built them with only a little help from Uncle SleeperService.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 9:05 PM, SleeperService said:

Just realised the 72nd question. I know the very man. @Sgt.Squarehead your expertise is needed. Are you joining in the Panzer IV STGB Gav?

I thought I already had TBH but...  I put my name against a few for 2016 and 2017 but due to a new job it all went pear shaped.  I started two seaplanes (neither of which I finished!) and didn't get round to even starting any of the others, so maybe my name was taken off any GB lists?  I guess I need to find a way to bring up all my old posts so I know what I'm supposed to be doing 🤔

Anyways, I have a Dragon Pz IV G (1/35 - 6363) and an Italieri Stug IV (1/35 223) already and I'll probably pick up the Revell 1/72 3184 kit

9 hours ago, Gav G said:

I thought I already had TBH but...  I put my name against a few for 2016 and 2017 but due to a new job it all went pear shaped.  I started two seaplanes (neither of which I finished!) and didn't get round to even starting any of the others, so maybe my name was taken off any GB lists?  I guess I need to find a way to bring up all my old posts so I know what I'm supposed to be doing 🤔

In the bar at the top click the down arrow by Activity.

Then the down arrow by My Activity Streams

Then 'Content I posted in'

I think that once you sign up for a GB you are considered to be in it until the last second it runs :D There are often many non-finishers (I'm usually one of them) but it doesn't matter. It just gives you fodder for the next KUTA build, two GBs one model, seems good to me ;)

16 hours ago, Gav G said:

I thought I already had TBH but...  I put my name against a few for 2016 and 2017 

Anyways, I have a Dragon Pz IV G (1/35 - 6363) and an Italieri Stug IV (1/35 223) already and I'll probably pick up the Revell 1/72 3184 kit

Hi Gav. I have just checked and you are on the list at number 23. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, SleeperService said:

I assume you mean THIS thread?

Hatches moulded shut, rubber band tracks, and decals are all features of Zvezda which, IMHO, mean I'd consider it for a conversion if the price was right and if I'd used aftermarket tracks to give me a spare set of Revell ones.

I'd back the Revell one as it builds easily and is easier to find. My nephews (10 years at the time) built them with only a little help from Uncle SleeperService.

I don't believe the Zvezda tracks are vinyl bands, rather they are flexible hard plastic.....They can take some fitting (warming them may help), but with care they will go down as well, or better, than L&L using regular poly cement.  :coolio:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I don't believe the Zvezda tracks are vinyl bands, rather they are flexible hard plastic.....They can take some fitting (warming them may help), but with care they will go down as well, or better, than L&L using regular poly cement.  :coolio:

I sit corrected. Still stand by the Revell model though..... :D

Revell is my choice too (I have dozens of 'em), but their kit does have one issue in that the track links are too big (& thus the sprocket has too few teeth).....Only a Top-Tier Panzer-Nerd is likely to notice this TBH and it can easily be fixed with AM track from OKB or MaCo (if the latter is still available), but there it is.  ;)