1/72 - Savoia-Marchetti S.55 by Dora Wings - released - new S.55A boxing

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

There is a confusing number of different versions of the S55 and Dora Wings have opted for the military version. The Delta2 model is ostensibly the famous 'Balbo' version that took part in the 24-aircraft trip across the Atlantic to Chicago in 1933 and, after a fair bit of work, a reasonable rendition can be made, although the decal sheet is very basic and you will have to make your own codes and striping for the upper wings. Falcon do a canopy and there are some PE sets for the interior. A pretty comprehensive build article is in the old MAP Scale Models magazine from October 1973, and some brave person had a go on Britmodeller a couple of years ago but I could not see if it was completed.

The shot above is of a passenger version with windows in the l/e of the wings , stream-lined in-line engines, the larger canopy and angular sponsons. The DW kits seem to be of the military versions with open canopy, gun mounts in the forward sponsons and totally different engine nacelle. Until I actually get one I can't guess but it looks like a combination of the DW booms and outer wings with the Delta2 centre fuselage and sponsons will give you a reasonable Balbo version, but at what price and will they match??

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
grammatical error

On 3/11/2019 at 9:54 PM, roadrunner said:

hello,

Can some one explaine me this photo:

zta8.jpg

no radiator on the front of engine nacelle.....

I think the radiators are behind those big holes in the inboard leading edges - it looks like exit ducts at the base of the engine pylon, either side of the cockpit.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:15 AM, Admiral Puff said:

I think the radiators are behind those big holes in the inboard leading edges - it looks like exit ducts at the base of the engine pylon, either side of the cockpit.

mea culpa Admiral! I did not look closely enough did I?

Looking through my vast collection of stuff on the S55 I could not find any images of this version which also appears to have the short cockpit (albeit covered), three portholes over the instrument panel, those odd intake orifices, angular sponsons and some odd small 'pylons' where the sponsons blend in with the upper wing. I am also intrigued by the dark curved markings with a fine white outline leading back from the outer wings. There no m/g mounts in the forward sponsons so it is probably not a military version. As Yule Brynner said in The King And I "this is a puzzlement!"

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...