1/72 - Savoia-Marchetti S.55 by Dora Wings - released - new S.55A boxing

Homebee

Like these old S55s, anyone know which version tried to catch Porco Rosso and Curtiss?

Paul Harrison

I have in almost top of my stash the old Delta kit of SM 55X , which I've bought on second hand paying fortune,,, Now it lost a bit of its charm 😒.

Doubled floats/fuselages suggests that both civil and military variants are planned. Soviet Union bought for Aeroflot six civil SM 55 in special configuration: with passanger variant of fuselages (like SM 55P) but engines  of variant SM 55X:

1_o_1.jpg

Savoia-Marchetti_S.55P_Aeroflot_06.jpg

I think that three types of floats existed: early smaller military (SM 55 A), passanger (SM 55 P) and late (SM 55 X). Similar - different engines with two, three or two+four blades configurations. Wonder if all variants will be supported? The pilot canopies were open or closed. On drawing the one  engine set is displayed - the early type with non-oval cooler whereas on photo above of Aeroflot machine the fron cooler is oval and props are 2+4 blades...

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

It is even more complex, Here is passnger Sm 55 build under licence in US

Savoia-Marchetti_S-55P_American_Marchett

with all similarity to Soviet one the floats (fuselages) here have four (not five) windows on front and a different (vertical, not sloped) shape at the rear, as well the engine set is different...

Here is early military variant with floats, open canopy and early engines

Savoia-Marchetti_S.55_Jahu_01.jpg

and here is Soviet with engine from SM 55X, closed canopy and bigger floats

s55-8.jpg

Very interesting how many variants will be covered by Dora?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

What's fascinating is how small the aircraft  looks compared to the personel standing on the floats. The old Delta kit seems much bigger in comparison .

I noticed it also - this is bacause of windows - we consider them similr to those of  modern jet passanger machine ones and they are smaller!

J-W

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 19:29, JWM said:

I noticed it also - this is bacause of windows - we consider them similr to those of  modern jet passanger machine ones and they are smaller!

J-W

I was a bit surprised how small the Delta kit actually is, when I opened the box - I guess you are correct: The side windows are misleading as is the low canopy.

It will be interesting to see what colours are choosen for the I-BALB version (if they do it). I like the black and dark green stripes which you see on most colour profiles but have the bad feeling the black was actually red and the two stripes on top of the wing were green and red to resemble the Italian flag. Given the propaganda nature of the "Balbo" flight this makes sense to me. :worms: 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2018 at 23:53, Admiral Puff said:

That does look nice! Almost makes me wish i hadn't shelled out a motza for a Delta one at Telford a couple of years ago ...

Hmm - maybe not such a mistake, if you are after the S.55X (the Delta kit).  Seems Dora does another variant looking at the renders - the S.55 M

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Who is going to be the first to complete the Balbo mass flight!??

That used S-55X, which had different hulls and engines. Hasn't announced that yet; was subject of old Delta kit from 70s.

• 2 weeks later...