A pair of Dinosaurs!

TonyW

A Triceratops and a Stegosaurus join the GB this evening. Aimed squarely at the younger builder, they go together fast and easy. Not many bits to worry about and those few parts fit well to boot. An hour or two this evening took the pair from sealed bags to assembled models, waiting until tomorrow for the glue to dry. Painting can start then.

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

Here's how things sit at the moment, a most enjoyable bit of completely stress free modelling. Just the ticket.

IMG_5784.jpg

The Stegosaurus kit includes the fearsome Thagomizer at the blunt end, dreaded by early hunters.

thagomizer.jpg

I'm going to enjoy finishing this pair!

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

An early rise this morning found the glue all nice and set, so it was on with a bit of free form paintwork.

I doubt anyone can call me out for any inaccurate colours used here, so it's make it up all the way! Red primer with yellow faded into the undersides for the Steosaurus, Green into a sandy tan for the Triceratops. Both primer coats as something to work from. I'll be dabbling with oils later.

There was a third bag with these two, I assumed it would be a T Rex as that would have been part of the three kit boxing. It was another Triceratops though. A couple of boxes were bought ages ago and some were built by a mates kids years back. What I have here is the remains of that day. I might as well add the last kit  to the mix then!

I've cut and shut it's head and legs to alter the pose a bit along with opening the mouth more and curving the tail. I softened the plastic with a candle flame to help with the bending about. It worked fine. A bit of filler over the inevitable gaps and I'm good to go once it's all dried. I intend having the two Triceratops having a bit of a face off on one base, the Stegasoraus can get a base of his own. The bases will see me go all Blue Peter and use bits and bobs from my garden to provide a bit of prehistoric scenery. All most enjoyable.

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Looks like fun all the way! I remember making one many decades ago that I painted in a German camouflage pattern...

Sounds perfectly plausible to me, I hope you got your greens right for the period! 

I need a small scale Raquel Welch if anyone has a spare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Indecisive? I'm not so sure...

Trying out the pair of Triceratops together see's me unsure of continuing on that path. They look quite aggressive together, but take up quite a bit of room. I think I prefer the Dinosaurs on separate, small bases. That way the model takes centre stage, instead of a story being told.

IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

I'm enjoying the painting stage, although the pauses waiting on the paint to dry between coats is frustrating. I'll do a bit of work on the bases and get the models fixed into place. Paintwork can fit in around that.

• Like 10

So good to see you dig these up and decide to build them on here Tony. I have to say, I think we've managed to build at least one Airfix model subject from all the 'Production' years that this GB spans - that is some effort, most of which should be credited to the many multiple kit builders, such as Tony. 

When I get the chance later today, I'll update the build list which must be close to 150 by now!! Who would have thought? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zebra said:

Magnificent Tony. 

Just had a look at airfix dinosaurs on a certain auction site. Prices were quite eye-watering! These kits it’s must be ripe for re-release as Airfix classics, surely. 

I took a look after I started this lot. Blimey!!

The prices seem to be the result of Ebays 'items like this one' feature. When selling an item, others like it flash up with a price point 'recommended' It's a blunt tool and a bit useless with out of production stuff. All it needs is one item listed with a stupid price for that to be the new 'real' price as far as ebay are concerned. Other sellers follow suit and the market gets a totally artificial price level inflicted on it. Welcome to the Brave New World of Algorithms!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Dude that Trike face-off is great.....Well worth the extra base space!  :coolio:

I've just returned home from a bit of shopping. Part of the shop involved looking around a charity shop. I left the place clutching a few cheap picture frames that may well make an appearance here. 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zebra said:

Magnificent Tony. 

Just had a look at airfix dinosaurs on a certain auction site. Prices were quite eye-watering! These kits it’s must be ripe for re-release as Airfix classics, surely. 

I seemed to remember that Matchbox kit prices seemed to rise whilst we were conducting that GB, perhaps this GB has also had a positive effect on auction prices for Vintage Airfix kits as well? The whole world must be watching our builds - good lord! 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of the cheap picture frames mentioned above has been modified a bit by fitting the backing board to the top of the frame and a few pieces of hardened HiEx foam, cut and shut to fit, applied here and there.

The two Triceratops have been tried in various poses to try to strike a good balance between them. I'm reasonably happy with them as they are. Once everything on the base has dried properly I can make a start on a bit of scenery for them to have their punch up in!

IMG_5842.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I seemed to remember that Matchbox kit prices seemed to rise whilst we were conducting that GB, perhaps this GB has also had a positive effect on auction prices for Vintage Airfix kits as well? The whole world must be watching our builds - good lord! 

Cheers... Dave 

I'm fine with the whole world watching (we are posting on a public forum after all!) but not sure I'm comfortable with the idea that we're affecting prices that much! 

• Like 1

You won't believe the mess I've made! 😁

A packet of filler and some cement dye got mixed up and spread about a bit. The cement powder seems to set filler very rapidly so progress has been fast this evening. I dug out any aerosols that were likely looking colours for the base. Orange, gold and copper plus a bit of sparkle got fired on until it all looked about right, whatever right is. A heavy coat of clear preceded a bit of vegetable rain in the form of a few different railway scenic grasses and gravel sprinkled about. Spray adhesive fixed a bit of lichen here and there and the fumes have left me high as a kite man.....  All the leaves are brown.... and the sky is greeeeey.....

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

Once I come down, I'll be on clean up duties for a while, then it's on with a bit of prehistoric tree construction and more paintwork on the dinosaurs. That can wait until tomorrow though.

A very satisfying evenings work.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very effective Dinosaur camouflage there Tony... if you weren't careful you could accidently walk in between this nasty pair whilst watching a youtube video on your iPhone!

This is looking so good, and the speed at which you model would suggest that you're in a good 'space' at the moment.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

I think I may have joking said something about doing a t-rex for the gb (before it started) to @BIG X and lo and behold what did I see at the aberdeen model show over the weekend - an airfix t-rex......

and now here we have 3!!! (all be it some cousins of a t-rex). 

The dio with the 2 "jousting" fellas - top work!!! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I was astounded to learn from the radio the other week that the Stegosaurus

had been extinct for around 60 million years before the Tyranosaurus turned up!

:dinosaur:

So it would be hardly inappropriate to box these two as a ‘Dogfight Double’ I would think? 

• Haha 5

The Stegosaurus got past the winning post first!  All done and dusted.

Not much to show in the way of building or painting really, it went together fast, likewise the base. Before I knew it, the thing was finished.

I sorted out a good picture from the internet to use as a backdrop but my printer is telling me that my ink is counterfeit and won't co-operate. If I sort that out I'll add the backdrop to the Gallery shots later.

Here's baby...

IMG_5950.jpg

This shot was taken indoors this afternoon. The couple in the Gallery  were taken in bright sunlight earlier on.

The pair of Triceratops are not far from completion, I'll add them here ASAP.

• Like 7

Sadly the Airfix dinos are becoming difficult to find. I've used a lot of them in our school model clubs over the years and I've seen some very imaginative interpretations of their colours. I'd be extremely happy if Hornby brought them back. 

John 

• Like 2

The pair of Triceratops have been causing me problems.

On their own, they look fine. Big and angry...

IMG_5983.jpg

The base looks fine on its own as well. A bit busy, but it's got a bit of the Gerry Andersons about it...

IMG_5984.jpg

Add the two together and it all goes a bit wrong. The balance is way out somehow...

IMG_5872.jpg

It seems to me that less is more in this case. I'll be ditching the base and making something much simpler with the two Dinosaurs posed as in the top picture.

The base won't get wasted. I have a Comet Miniatures Vac Form Stingray that may well end up paired with it.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

The Triceratops have a new base to sit on, and with their new home comes the completion of this pair.

The base is a length of hardwood that I used as practice when I bought a router a while ago. It's a bit rough and ready, a bit like the two bruisers on it! It displays well though, and that's the important thing.

IMG_6023.jpg

A few more pictures have been added to the gallery.

Tony.

• Like 9

Another fantastic addition to the Gallery Tony, very well modelled. Once this show is all over I’ll count the builds and see how many some of our more regular members have made. I’m sure you’ll be up there somewhere! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...