Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima Ki 84 Hayate

colin

Loosing a bit of interest lately with modelling, getting tied down trying to super detail stuff that most won't be seen when completed, I'm an impatient builder so don't have the discipline of a lot of the fantastic builders on BM who go that extra mile . So what better way then get the interest back than a oob of a Hasegawa kit, you can't fault these later offerings as they have a low part count, plenty of detail and the fit is brilliant, not a bit of filler required.

I know the seats wrong in the kit but I went with it anyway, and as you can see I didn't go the full beat up finish that they really should be like towards the end of the war, I just can't seem to get that right

7CV6uB3.jpg

vuczJiL.jpg

IIblgnv.jpg

GopUQfA.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

I am impressed, Colin! It's nice to see a well-maintained, fairly new Frank, rather than the tired, bleached, scuffed to death examples! Very nice overall effect, in my opinion. Love that you got the olive green props as has been documented of late, rather than the primer brown units. I really like this model! 👍 Now you need an immaculate bare metal Ki-44 Tojo with the white defense bandages around the hinomarus to go with this one. 🇯🇵 Doesn't Hasegawa or maybe Otaki do one in this scale?

Mike

• Like 1

Great job there Colin.

Japanese aircraft are so often over-weathered but yours looks spot-on for a new-ish example. Used but not abused.

You may be pleased to know that in fact, the way the seat is depicted by Hasegawa (and you) is completely correct. The aircraft was flown with a back rest cushion in place.

Another point of interest is that the straps moulded on the seat cushion aren't seat belts, they are straps that attach the parachute to the pilot's harness. In fact the "cushion" is actually the parachute.  It was IJAAF custom to leave the parachute in the seat pan and the pilot would attach it once he was seated in the aircraft.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimTam27 said:

Great job there Colin.

Japanese aircraft are so often over-weathered but yours looks spot-on for a new-ish example. Used but not abused.

You may be pleased to know that in fact, the way the seat is depicted by Hasegawa (and you) is completely correct. The aircraft was flown with a back rest cushion in place.

Another point of interest is that the straps moulded on the seat cushion aren't seat belts, they are straps that attach the parachute to the pilot's harness. In fact the "cushion" is actually the parachute.  It was IJAAF custom to leave the parachute in the seat pan and the pilot would attach it once he was seated in the aircraft.

Thanks, read so much that the seat wasn't correct because of the back, but did know that the bottom was in fact the 'chute.

45 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Beautiful looking Frank. What paint/colors did you use for the camo?

All Gunze Mr Colours 128 grey green, 129 dark green Nakajima ,127 cockpit colour.

Did try the black basing and it seems to work better with the lighter colours. Will give it another try as I'm still not sure with the technique yet.Looks better in the flesh

My philosophy with details is not unlike yours - especially with stuff that's almost impossible to see.

But that's where the similarity may end, because you have built a beautiful replica by anyone's standards.

Everything about the finish and weathering looks spot-on to me.

Awesome work!

:clap::worthy:

I want to commiserate with you as I have an attention span of one week. Most of my kits are half-built. Let me say that this is a tremendous build and simply outstanding in every way.  I love the subtle weathering and the slight variation in finish. Please continue to build OOB.

• Like 1