WNW Sopwith F1 Camel Br 1

Bear Paw

Hello and just a note to anyone who has built this kit - I have had trouble fitting the to front deck, both the wooden section and the aluminium deck that the guns fit through.  I think it is my fault because I fitted the cockpit too high in between the fuselage sides. Of course I didn’t find this out until I had glued everything.   

The question is has anyone else come up against this? I suspect it is only me.  

Andrew. 

I don't recall having this problem myself and I suspect, as you yourself say, it is because you had mis-aligned the internal structure. This is the one thing that you have to watch out for with Wingnuts. They are so precisely engineered that, if you get just one part slightly out of whack (and I mean very slightly), it won't go together easily. I think I may have 'dry fitted' my cockpit, fuselage sides and top deck a number of times before I was satisfied that it would all go together properly before I went near the glue having found out on previous builds just how little room there is for error. I have a slight memory that even little raised areas of CA on the frames where rigging mounts had been drilled had to be brought carefully flush before I got a perfect fit.

Hello Beardie, and yes I have my suspicions about my internal rigging on the cockpit frame being the cause. I think I didn’t trim off the excess thread flush at the bottom part and so it didn’t sit down in the fuselage. The other problem may have been with the gun ammo mounts not sitting down into their slot far enough due to paint.  Those two things combined raised up the gun mount too far.  

It doesn’t take much does it?  

@Bear Paw No it doesn't take much at all. When I first came to Wingnuts I didn't believe that the fit could be that fine that a thin coat of paint could cause problems but, on my very first build I discovered that, indeed, they do require that every trace of paint, bump or lump has to be removed from the mating surfaces to guarantee a good fit. It tell you a lot that you can dry fit the pieces together and they stay put the fit is that neat.