Airfix Mosquito FBVI 333 Sqd.

Hamden

With my Harvard coming to an end in the near future a look through the stash produced an Airfix Mosquito NF11/FBVI/XVIII, together with a Carpena decal set which has markings for a 333 Squadron FBVI included, a pair of resin main wheels and an interior resin set which includes the gun bays and engines. This could be along project and the obligatory sprue shots are below.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

I'll start this project when the Harvard is finished and will build it along side a 1/35th Challenger 2 MBT

Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 12

The last mosquito I built was from Airfix with some cockpit extras from MDC, about 20 years ago. I donated it to my local Air Cadet squadron when I left the Uk because I had a Tamiya kit to build, not touched it yet! I don't mind long projects, I have quite a few of them.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start on this today by priming parts of the cockpit ready for paint. Also cut out the crew access door in the starboard fuselage half. Other than that not a lot done but it's a start.

No pictures I'm afraid as nothing worth a photograph yet.

Thanks for stopping by more soon I hope

Roger  

• 2 weeks later...

Back on this one, having primed some of the resin parts I have made a start by fitting the cockpit resin walls which required some of the wing fitting slot to be thinned in order  for it to sit nice and flush with the cockpit sides. The IP has been painted green with the area for the instruments white ready for the film and black photo etch panel to be fitted, the bomb bay, cannon bay and machine gun bay doors have all been cut away in readiness for the resin detail parts. Here's the pictures to show the story so far........................

IMG-0016.jpg

IMG-0026.jpg

IMG-0027.jpg

IMG-0028.jpg

IMG-0030.jpg

IMG-0031.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

First off I'd like to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR and hope 2019 is kind to you!

Not been on this for a while so thought I'd better see what's what!

Started to put the CMK cockpit sections into the fuselage but as they are intended for the Tamiya kit they need to be adjusted to fit, each section is glued in place and dry fitted to the next section. Fit of the next piece is then checked and so on. Slow progress but progress none the less 

IMG-0062.jpg

IMG-0060.jpg

IMG-0058.jpg

Lastly for this post the instrument panel awaiting it's turn to be fitted

IMG-0061.jpg

As always thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 4

Very nice! I used the Aires set for my Tamiya Mosquito, and was quite happy with it. My only disappointment is that much of the cockpit detail cannot be seen once everything is buttoned up. 

Here's the link to mine, maybe it will be helpful. 

Edited by billn53
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Can't believe it's been soooooo long since I looked at this one. Now my Challenger 2 desert is finished I will get back to this one now.

Progress soon I hope!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

After the Bovington Tank Museum model expo last weekend I've spent a little time on this project.

Wanting a change from the work on the fuselage I decided to look at the wings and what needed to be done in order

to display the engine without its cowlings. The update set provides resin engines, mountings and cowlings so having got the

resin bits together some had damage and others looked a bit flimsy. Also the update set is for the Tamiya kits and the sizes are very

slightly different, Airfix being slightly smaller so what to do? After thinking about it and looking at Tony @TheBaron's Anson masterpiece I've 

decided to go the brass route(what could possibly go wrong?) so made a start on the easier parts, time will tell if this the way to go. 

The wing/cowlings have been removed from the kit parts so no going back now!

IMG-0109.jpg

IMG-0111.jpg

IMG-0110.jpg

IMG-0112.jpg

IMG-0113.jpg

It's a start we'll have to see how this progresses and hope it doesn't crash and burn.

Thanks for stopping by your time is appreciated

Roger

• Like 3