Bentwaters Cold War Museum

Alpha Delta 210

Hi

I finally managed to visit the Bentwaters Cold War Museum and can highly recommend it. All the exhibits are clearly labelled, and there are some incredibly well-built scale models helping to tell the story of the "twin bases".

A few pictures from the day:

uNf0b2Qi0Lxt_cpFTG0un6pv7jVdTXez10b9Jv6h

riQEFMyz0rJJIP-ISjpZa9zf0sscKOUFXBdKKkxR

pJwzhTA4czIaItMokGZWhktYc0oHFI9_xvygbros

A-10A Thunderbolt II 80-0219

75K00kceH8u_pWywiBW9HNy5AWYFlchzJMh3VrBC

az-vugcPLfmiA-TCNk0JnUu8yYMMIQsW21gzLYnl

Harrier GR.3 ZD667

Y5DyCJo1iwTxiTgwQ4PKBkFNIS2wxqVnIYJK0VH0

Vehicle collection and Hunter GA.11 XE707

8wjFbixlRRYkv60flvjs9uE7qKqKt6m-WmWlclnV

sMeUSUnlH8WjU4j6JC7JGTZC4ycwKpyot5Oec1oA

IvgJDiF34IluDqI_1fx4egR7Rrtxy6phBlzDu9wH

oaB6Kr23x9uDEsZ-dDEwOlFaBbVUDU5hjg77TVIo

UObbIvcMwfI5CHZSIlgIc9h6sgMArwKXZskS2SLz

BT Frame Room

1y3lyig-7OsMZiRZZeLsgZZXiMjCHur8ZlFyAdSx

Cold War Room

zUcNjvrTEJ-uJ9lshAfOZjENhoy2snSxBItWH_GJ

Original TACAN Check Marker

b2QwT1M1M_ckzVIzcRuFyuhpxQUXOZ9LcoqyVp_L

Psrt of the Bentwaters Room

qVzsPsKiUAdsnaSEbBnrWUyW0CxsNdbyczwiR0Mx

Crashed Warthog canopy

GXWdGIC4qXjLlUSmVslUULOIaQzm0Bk5dL9QDbuq

Another part of the Bentwaters Room

v_b-BPjyzfETIYteqiN4LKLL0WV1gN9JPFBFga3c

Warthog tail cone and GAU-8 Avenger barrel

zmWrMhC4OJBZ0bZL7jOXU4IUIssd6PctPkVwOIRH

Aggressor Room

SeTsy2lV9ssvw45Pw1Kefi5kFdOCYcr7XvrnynOT

Special Operations and Rescue Squadrons Room

taU7lc6xuKtBxQaeMEyCm5tOi-fhbNjJYb1kNFEf

MjC-8uY5GHcoYSFcTsDhDsUqwA58OZukuehuaQIY

War Operations Room

Jlu4wPSavlkcu_y67Wy6sMjZlT4p8P3VEIbvjB0B

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Excellent pictures from a fascinating museum - yet another place that's on my to do list. I have fond memories of spotting and photographing at the twin bases in the late 80s and these artifacts certainly do evoke that period.

Mark

• Like 1

Oh great!!!

i wondered how the Jaguar was coming along.  I visited the BCWM a while ago and saw the almost bare airframe in a hardened shelter.   Great to see (and hear!) her sitting in the open with engines running.  It’s a great museum, run by enthusiasts, one of those which put the bigger ones to shame (are you listening, RAFM and .Duxfird?).

I’ve a soft spot for Bentwaters:  both my parents worked there, Dad, a Quantity Surveyor, officially retiring from there aged 65 whereupon he joined s civil company and almost free to select the contracts he worked on. Mum worked in Base Supply and managed to arrange for me to see their new Sperry Univac 1050  computer.  Strangely enough, some time later I joined that company and had a ball, travelling to and working in 13 countries as well as the UK.

A fond memory of my visit to BCWM is one of the (American) guides who had us in fits of laughter.  He said if an A10 came in needing re-arming the pilot was instructed to keep both  his hands in plain sight of one of the ground team.  That person’s role was, if BOTH of the pilor’s hands ceased to be visible, to shout or scream at the armourers who would promptly move well to the side of the aircraft.  We were assured that was because - so we were told, cannot resist playing with cockpit switches, sometimes inadvertently releasing a weapon. Whether thaf’s true I can’t say!

thanks for sharingp your photos,  Alpha Delta.

Jonny

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonny said:

A fond memory of my visit to BCWM is one of the (American) guides who had us in fits of laughter.  He said if an A10 came in needing re-arming the pilot was instructed to keep both  his hands in plain sight of one of the ground team.  That person’s role was, if BOTH of the pilor’s hands ceased to be visible, to shout or scream at the armourers who would promptly move well to the side of the aircraft.  We were assured that was because - so we were told, pilots cannot resist playing with cockpit switches, sometimes inadvertently releasing a weapon. Whether that’s true I can’t say!

Jonny

That would have been Bob Hale. Yep, standard procedure for a 'Hot' turnaround. Keep your hands in sight and off the switches.