RNZAF Corsair FINALLY getting Built in 1/48

SleeperService

Only been two attempts to build this so far however Thanks to contributors on these threads HERE, HERE and this SITE  especially @LDSModeller I think I have enough to get this bent wing bird built.

Here's the starting gate

tumblr_pf5pf1IP9A1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

which will turn into this (Picture for discussion purposes Only)

tumblr_pf5pf1IP9A1t8blhlo2_640.jpg

As things stand I'm Quietly Confident that I will complete this before the end of the GB. Well a ship can dream :D

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Interesting photo, is that a centre line tank and a wing root tank?

It seems that when they moved they had two wing root and a centre line tank. The more I look at that picture the more I'm wondering what the root tank actually is.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:11 AM, SleeperService said:

It seems that when they moved they had two wing root and a centre line tank. The more I look at that picture the more I'm wondering what the root tank actually is.

if it's not a fuel tank then it'll could be a cargo pod?

• Like 1

There seems to be a wing root tank on either side if you blow the image up.  Were the Americans developing napalm towards the end of the war and could this be similar?

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 8:11 AM, SleeperService said:

I would say an external fuel tank, if you look at these photo links, the first, RNZAF FG-1D's

RNZAF FG-1D Corsair

Similar on these RNZAF F4U-1D's

RNZAF F4U-1D

USN/USMC F4U-1D close up of tank

USN/USMC Corsair

This is just slightly Post WWII (circa 1946) when 24 FG-1D's were being shipped to Japan as part of the British J Force

RNZAF FG-1D circa 1946

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They U.S. was using Napalm in 44, so possible.  but im not sure if it migrated to the RNZAF ? 

RNZAF (Pacific Region) was attached to then USN during WWII and under command of CINCPAC.

RNZAF also shared same bases/airfields as USN Squadrons and MAG's so the use of Napalm probably occurred.

Couldn't honestly say those tanks in question were Napalm though.

RNZAF Corsair Squadrons became quire adept at use 450lb Depth Charges set at zero feet, which was regarded

as best way to defoliate jungle areas (particularly when snipers were tided to tree's).

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

RNZAF Corsair Squadrons became quire adept at use 450lb Depth Charges set at zero feet, which was regarded

as best way to defoliate jungle areas (particularly when snipers were tided to tree's).

Bit off subject I know but whoever came up with the idea of dropping Depth Charges to defoliate trees - not something that immediately springs to mind.

Having said that my Dad was being trained up for MONAB X - Aircraft Electrician.  If Operation Olymipic had gone ahead, then Dads role with his squad was to land with the first wave and to go Sniper hunting in the vicinity of the airfield they were about to build (they trained in assaults with the Royal Marine Commandos).  Once the area was cleared of snipers - back to the airfields to service aircraft.  If he did have to go, I hope there would have been an aircraft stooging around, loaded up with depth charges - might have given them a fighting chance..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Bit off subject I know but whoever came up with the idea of dropping Depth Charges to defoliate trees - not something that immediately springs to mind.

Having said that my Dad was being trained up for MONAB X - Aircraft Electrician.  If Operation Olymipic had gone ahead, then Dads role with his squad was to land with the first wave and to go Sniper hunting in the vicinity of the airfield they were about to build (they trained in assaults with the Royal Marine Commandos).  Once the area was cleared of snipers - back to the airfields to service aircraft.  If he did have to go, I hope there would have been an aircraft stooging around, loaded up with depth charges - might have given them a fighting chance..

Bryan Cox  author of "Too Young To Die", and RNZAF Fighter Pilot in the Pacific (flew P40's and Corsairs)

mentions in his book, being directed to support some of our Aussie cousins who were battling to take a

ridge in the Bouganville area. Bryan and his Squadron mates roared in over the ridge over the top of the

besieged Diggers, dropping their DC's pretty much in front of them (Aussies later recounted a tale of their

slouch hats being blown off by the blast). When the smoke cleared, both the jungle and Japanese were gone,

allowing the diggers to carry on (or mop up which ever came first).

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
word edit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Bryan Cox  author of "Too Young To Die", and RNZAF Fighter Pilot in the Pacific (flew P40's and Corsairs)

mentions in his book, being directed to support some of our Aussie cousins who were battling to take a

ridge in the Bouganville area. Bryan and his Squadron mates roared in over the ridge over the top of the

besieged Diggers, dropping their DC's pretty much in front of them (Aussies later recounted a tale of their

slouch hats being blown off by the blast). When the smoke cleared, both the jungle and Japanese were gone,

allowing the diggers to carry on (or mop up which ever came first).

Regards

Alan

Brilliant - Thank you Alan.  I guess its down to the fact that DCs work on High Purcussion - Large shockwave to work which would do the damage..

This looks to be a cracking project. The photo is a cool starting point and matching it to the information and stories coming through makes this one all the more interesting :thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance of the subject but are you planning to do two different Corsair or cross-kitting parts to make one?

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Couldn't honestly say those tanks in question were Napalm though.

I agree on the Napalm, was just commenting on its general usage.  Im thinking ferry flight myself but anything is a possibility ? 

I will have to get that book by Brynn Cox. That is the same route my uncle did. First P40's then the Corsair. I wish I knew him better. Unfortunately he spent most of his life in the UK. He joined the RAF after the war and was  test pilot for a lot of his time there. When he finally did return I was doing the family thing. I also didn't know about the extent of his service. If I had I would have found out a lot more. So that book should help.

• Like 3