Bloody Biscay...1/48 Junkers Ju88C-6 KG40

Reini78

After a bunch of small WW2 fighters, my dad decided it´s time now for something bigger.

Using the good old Dragon Ju88 kit with AIMS decals, doing one of the colourful machines of 14./KG40.

43997336714_48b2724c7a_b.jpgDSC_0007 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

43997334514_888dfe6458_b.jpgDSC_0008 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

29778596387_76b72347ed_b.jpgDSC_0009 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 3

You are a brave man tackling this one. Although the surface detail is excellent (even by today's standards) I understand this is a challenging kit to put together though I have never tried it myself. I must admit, I am tempted by one of the more recent ICM kits although my preference is for a Nightfighter variant.

I've seen the boxtop shown above several times over the years but only now realized that the aircraft in the picture is sporting one of those false glazing panels to fool opposing fighters into thinking its a lightly armed bomber or recce variant. I look forward to seeing this work in progress.

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

You are a brave man tackling this one. Although the surface detail is excellent (even by today's standards) I understand this is a challenging kit to put together though I have never tried it myself. I must admit, I am tempted by one of the more recent ICM kits although my preference is for a Nightfighter variant.

I've seen the boxtop shown above several times over the years but only now realized that the aircraft in the picture is sporting one of those false glazing panels to fool opposing fighters into thinking its a lightly armed bomber or recce variant. I look forward to seeing this work in progress.

Yeah, I think the new ICM kits are of good quality. But my dad and I already have a bunch of Dragon 88s in our stash, didn´t want to buy another kit.

Years ago my dad built the Revell boxing of the Dragon A-4 kit, he can´t remember any major problems and the model turned out nice. Let´s see how my dad does this time with his actual skills. 🙂

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm watching this one for sure Reini, I've the Hasegawa kit in  1/72 & there seems to be no hard & fast agreement on how theses scheme were arrived at so I'll be watching yours for clues. :)

Steve.

I know there's some discussion about the camo. As far as I've seen, the 13.Staffel, coded with X as last digit, had standard 70/71 splinter scheme overpainted with some 76, the 14.Staffel, coded Y, had the same but more 76 and as it looks, additionel another grey tone, either a different shade of 76, or possibly 75...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I do find this to be an attractive (if somewhat deadly as a night fighter) aircraft that I fancy one myself.

Is such a kit still available or are there better kits to build a Ju88 with ??

I shall keep watching  . . . .

Ian

The Dragon kits and their Revell re-boxings are still available. The moulds are from the 90ies but still make nice models. ICM has started with a new Ju88 family, they´ve already released a bunch of "A" versions (A-4, -5, -11, -14) and their newest release is a C-6.  Haven´t really read pre- or reviews of the ICM kits, but I guess fit and quality is up to nowadays standards, can´t tell about the accuracy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I do find this to be an attractive (if somewhat deadly as a night fighter) aircraft that I fancy one myself.

Is such a kit still available or are there better kits to build a Ju88 with ??

I shall keep watching  . . . .

Ian

Very interested to see how this build works out, Reini. I really want to make one of the 'false-nosed' Ju88s. Looking great so far! 

As for your question, Mancunian, I fairly recently made the Revell 1/48 Ju88 and found it to be a fairly simple build, with good detail. In case you were looking for any 1/48 Ju88 - rather than specifically a more niche variant like this. 

Info on that build here : 

• Thanks 1

had to cut away some levers at the left side of the cockpit tub and a part of a hose on the right fuselage half to make the tub fit into the fuselage but now it sits ok

44963098701_142b7ae199_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44963097771_cd6f206635_b.jpgDSC_0002 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

43150532240_113544c2af_b.jpgDSC_0003 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 4

looks like an aircraft now, engine nacelles mounted

canopy attached with Micro Klear for painting the whole model

30237748077_4ac1af5d38_b.jpgDSC_0003 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

31302770728_f0aa759123_b.jpgDSC_0004 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

at least the fit of the canopy and the landing light cover is good

31302769978_5d12cb6ddb_b.jpgDSC_0005 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

30237744217_3772b1eac2_b.jpgDSC_0006 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 6