USS Oriskany Sundown Carrier ops

Nils

Something I did a while ago. It’s the USS Oriskany, running carrier operarions at sundown somewhere. A F-4 is on the approach for landing. There is parked A-4 Skyhawks on the starboard side on the flight deck. Oriskany is configured here as she was in the 70’s., with angled deck and new radars. New catapults and  a closed bow. Everything is modelled in Modo with a little touch up in Photoshop. All, except the beautiful sundown - that can’t be replicated better than mother nature does it :)

it might look a bit dark but it’s intentional.. 

Oriskany_3000

t

• Like 18

outstanding piece of work. I saw my recording of the Bridges at Toko Ri last night (made 32 years before Top Gun, which itself was made 32 years ago!) which of course featured the Big O.

I read somewhere that she was kept in reserve into the 80's and nearly came out into service as part of Reagan's 600+ ship Navy. I guess she would have had Hornets if she had as all the F-8s had long since gone.

18 minutes ago, FIGHTS ON said:

outstanding piece of work. I saw my recording of the Bridges at Toko Ri last night (made 32 years before Top Gun, which itself was made 32 years ago!) which of course featured the Big O.

Thanks for your comment, appreciated. I modelled the Oriskany both as she looked in the Korean conflict and how she looked after her big rebuild

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, j-fever said:

Nice work, have been using Modo for over 10 years now, my favorite 3d modeling app.

🙂

Thanks for you kind words.

Got anything to show here??

I love Modod, changed over from 3DS Max. Purchased my first 301 version years ago. It took a while for me to get around it, but now I’ll never go back. Didn’t upgrade after 902, but I got what I need there. Been thinking about Mari or Substance painter or something but haven’t invested in it.. I’ m relative happy as I am now with PS CS and Modo..

• Like 1

Great to hear back from you, I really like your work, ever considered doing a AD-4?

I did make 3 aircraft models, a Mitsubishi Type O, Mirage F.1 and the C-17 but did not finish texturing them, I might be able to find an image or two later. Most of my CG work is for video games, mecha, characters etc..  A few older images can be found here:  https://zugok.cgsociety.org/

I starting using Modo at Ver 2 and mostly switched over from Maya at ver 4. Modeling, UV, textures, and rendering is so much easier/ better in Modo. Coincidentally, I am friends with the original developers, Allan Hastings, Stuart Fergusen, and Brad Peebler,  but have not been so involved since the Foundry acquisition a few years ago.

Heh heh, I personally own ver 3-9 too, and usually use the latest version at work, such as the newer version of Mesh Fusion is more intuitive. As far as other software, Substance Painter is awesome and really speeds things up, I have tried Mari, but did not found it as useful for my needs.

Cheers..

13 minutes ago, j-fever said:

Great to hear back from you, I really like your work, ever considered doing a AD-4?

I did make 3 aircraft models, a Mitsubishi Type O, Mirage F.1 and the C-17 but did not finish texturing them, I might be able to find an image or two later. Most of my CG work is for video games, mecha, characters etc..  A few older images can be found here:  https://zugok.cgsociety.org/

I starting using Modo at Ver 2 and mostly switched over from Maya at ver 4. Modeling, UV, textures, and rendering is so much easier/ better in Modo. Coincidentally, I am friends with the original developers, Allan Hastings, Stuart Fergusen, and Brad Peebler,  but have not been so involved since the Foundry acquisition a few years ago.

Heh heh, I personally own ver 3-9 too, and usually use the latest version at work, such as the newer version of Mesh Fusion is more intuitive. As far as other software, Substance Painter is awesome and really speeds things up, I have tried Mari, but did not found it as useful for my needs.

Cheers..

Those are fantastic. I really admidre you character modellers both for your patience and skills.Love textures too. 

Yep I’ve  done a Skyraider, it’s on here somewhere together with some of other stuff I’ve done over the years...

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up on some of your work Nils, as I've not been here for a while, unfortunately. Lovely work on this one.

I'm a bit of a sucker for Bill Phillips' carrier paintings and this one has the same sort of atmosphere with that backdrop. 

Got to look at all your other work now. Great work.

Cheers Bob.

Cheers Bob, I really appreciate your comments. Beeing a fan boy of Bill Phillips myself, I’m truly honoured to be mentioned  in the same sentence as him!

Now I’m working on Liberators in various types, D, H and J type. They’re soon ready for making some shots. I first thought about the Ploesti raid but I guess that’s been done by so many already. I will try to find something more original to show for myself ( even though I’ve already built half an oil refinery for the scene... ) 😆

• 1 year later...