Tamiya 1/72 Il-2 Shturmovik

sandros

It has been a while since my last modelling attempt, so as the long hot greek summer is heading for the end, I think it is high time to warm up knives and brushes (and airbrushes of cource)

I picked from the stash the beautiful Tamiya Iliushin Il-2 Shturmovik, which is actually a scale down version of its big brother in 48 scale. Most of you would be aware of what a great kit it is but for the rest, I will stress that is greatly moulded, very well and cleverly engineered, the fit is almost perfect and the detail outstanding for the scale.

I supplied Eduard Brassin wheels, masks for the clear parts, and a photo etched set to add extra detail. On second thought, apart from the seat belts, instrument panels and one or two small bits is a matter of choice to spend a few extra euros to add detail buried inside the narrow cockpit. I thing, the kit more than adequate, so it can be built straight from the box.

Although the instructions and bibliography suggest RLM 02 as basic color for the cockpit and wheel wells, the end result would be rather dark for such a small scale. So I lightened (very much) the original color with light grey, and tried to emphasized the detail with even lighter grey colors painted with 00 brush. Some very highly diluted black color sprayed in the cavities and corners to increase contrast. A wash with some Ammo Dark Brown color gave a more weathered appearance. The whole project sealed with Microscale flat varnish.

IMGP6676.jpg

IMGP6667.jpg

IMGP6678.jpg

IMGP6671.jpg

IMGP6674.jpg

IMGP6672.jpg

IMGP6679.jpg

IMGP6680.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

This project is running smoothly. No particular fit issues, except for the wing roots, minimum filler and painting is finished over the weekend. Tamiya acrylics, XF-23 for the lower surfaces, XF 24 for the dark grey, XF-58 for the olive green and a mixture of XF-52 + XF-59 in 5:3 ratio completed the pallete.

Gun barrels and pitot tube were replaced with 0.3 and 0.2 metal tube respectively.

The model is already glossed ans is heading for the decals, which seems to be thin enough and good in registry!

Thanks for watching and merry Christmas to all fellow modelers!

IMGP6783.jpg

IMGP6784.jpg

IMGP6785.jpg

IMGP6786.jpg

IMGP6787.jpg

IMGP6788.jpg

IMGP6789.jpg

IMGP6790.jpg

IMGP6791.jpg

IMGP6795.jpg

IMGP6796.jpg

• Like 3