BoB 1968

tc2324

As you may already know it`s been 50 years since the making of the BoB movie. Leonard Mosley`s `making of` book was probably one of the first books I read as a child and the front cover always drew my attention. It seemed fitting that if I ever came to make a BoB movie diorama, I would choose the front cover. 

Just need to find a correctly sized frame to protect the base and this will be done but as it`s a day past the actual anniversary of the real BoB, it seemed right to post this up now.

The kits are 1/72 and the only really issue I had during the build has the continual humming of the movies theme tune......

42901449880_37a980dd66_c.jpg 

42901449060_0808282e08_c.jpg 

30840819848_d337a36e93_c.jpg 

44711290331_5ba60dbe97_c.jpg 

44711290901_aa3a28dc4c_c.jpg 

30840819088_920e963170_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

Great idea. Captures the movie moment perfectly. It's sobering to realise that we're further away away from the film than it was from the BoB in 1940. 

I didn't get to see it at the time but my friend did and made sure I was jealous as he lorded it over me showing off his film programme. Remember those?

Had to wait and see it on TV.

• Like 2

Brilliant rendition. How have you blurred the props? P'shop?

I saw the film on original release in the Astra cinema at Marham and boy did that opening shot of blue sky make an impact on an 8 year old! I also have and cherish that book.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

Go Rabbit Leader!!! 

Now this is absolutely magnificent and has been set off remarkably well. I’m in awe of these types of displays and this one is up there with the very best. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Thank you all for the comments, it`s much appreciated. 

Spad, indeed the props are blurred using Flickr photo editor. A slight `cheat` I know, but feel it adds to the dio when presented in forum format. 

Awesome idea, really like this one, as many have said the Battle of Britain movie was something that spurred my interests in aviation and modelling, particularly the scene where Ian McShane gives his two lads model spitfires!

Lovely job on theses kits, something which will look great on display in your home.

Rich

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I love it, well modelled and well presented...

When did it actually hit the UK cinema?  I saw it a couple of times and for me too it fuelled the aeroplane fire that got me into this hobby..

It was initially shown in 1969.

• Like 1

When Bovingdon was an airfield, my brother and I cycled over as rumour had it that the participating aircraft were stored there over the weekend.

There were lined up the Bouchons, CASA's, [or dinkum He111s ?], a couple of Spitfires, a butchered Proctor designed [badly] to imitate a Stuka, we were allowed to get up close 'n' personal with them, examine and photograph them, the only thing we couldn't do was get in 'em.........

Seem to remember, and subject to correction, that the camera ship may have been a Mitchell.

I'd love to be able to put the photos up on the 'net, but with so many moves in my career, they, and many other a/c photos of the 60's have got lost, to my eternal regret.

Nevertheless, I've seen the film so many times that swathes of footage have been printed on my corneas.......Susannah York in uniform, anyone ??

That's a very evocative build - love it !!

Rog

Eric Mc wrote "...initially shown in 1969"

Believe it may have been earlier than that, Eric. We shifted to Oz in 1969 and I'm sure we first saw it in England, unless it was shown early that year.

Edited by roginoz
  • Like 1

Great dio.

I saw the film in the October half term 1969 (it premiered 15th Sept 1969 and went on general release a couple weeks later), there was one of the fibre glass 'prop' Hurricanes on the roof of the foyer of the Lincoln Odeon to advertise the movie. It was a great film for a 10 year old, but with hindsight and 49 years on its a bit meh!

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1