Playing catch-up with a Hawker Siddley AV 8A **Finished **

Graham77

As the title suggests a little late starting but hopefully this will come together pretty quickly😉

Onto the kit, it’s the new Airfix 1/72nd with a couple of extra bits from the GR1 version, that I have just finished.

43991146294_d8e169ced4_b.jpg

Having spent the last couple of months playing with this kit I have sped up the build process for the AV8A and am hoping to get as good an outcome as the GR1.

44708959291_1865039cbc_b.jpg

Fuselage is joined together with the fan installed, wing joined together and soon to be attached. Nozzles etc also already attached as I reckon they’ll be easier to paint in situ than do them separately and attach later (time will tell). Hopefully get the gun pods and the outriggers and main gear leg on aswell as some primer for all of it by lunchtime, can then finish painting the cockpit (at least the bits you’ll be able to see), the seat and attach the canopy prior to masking and another quick blitz of primer before leaving it a few days prior to painting (hairy sticker for this jet). As you can tell having just finished the GR 1 is speeding up the process second time round as is the great fit of this kit!

Thanks for looking, all top tips greatly appreciated

Cheers

Graham

• Like 2

Wings, gun pods and some undercarriage attached, ready for some primer and then we’ll see which seams need a little filler and the canopy and seat can be attached.

29773111747_a82c966805_b.jpg

29773111767_f54d4aa739_b.jpg

Still hanging out with the GR1 and 9 in the background

Cheers

Graham 

• Like 3

First round of primer is done, few seams need attention and a couple of holes to drill for the pitot and  AoA probe that I bought as brass extras for these harriers. Disaster has struck though...I stored the clear sprue  in a really safe place and now it is AWOL, I have contacted Airfix about a replacement so we shall see what they say, worst case I buy another to finish this group build and build a NASA AV 8C in the future 🤫 to go with the rest of the harrier fleet!

More in a few days when I return from a work trip

Atb

Graham

***Update .... did some tidying and it had hidden itself behind the printer..back on track***

• Like 3

Welcome to the GB !

You may have had a late start but you've more than made up for it in these couple of days 👍

Very interesting subject, always loved the Harrier and the AV-8A sale to the USMC is one of the highest point in the export of British military hardware. One of these is a must in a GB dedicated to esported British types

• Like 1

All ready now for some primer, then over the next few days some paint🤞

44807534272_6554f5f23f_b.jpg

44807534262_3d9feb1e3c_b.jpg

and with the lovely weather we are having I may even get to paint some warhammer figures with my little boy, a First for both of us!

Cheers for the comments

ATb Graham

• Like 4

Here you go Giorgio, the first coat is on I’ll see how it dries and see what I need to do before a couple of coats of varnish and the decals...

44845204092_4be8dc6e14_b.jpg

Here it is with the GR1 slowly getting closer to completion!

Cheers

Graham

• Like 3

Its decal time. Finished smoothing out the paint and gave it a couple of coats of gloss varnish, now onto giving it a bit of character with the decals before more varnish and then some weathering and the final bits before it joins its colleagues in my Harrier display!

31071799148_2a88c3e13c_b.jpg

cheers for now

Graham

• Like 4

Decals and gloss coat complete. Added the pitot probe and just need some weathering and a coat of satin varnish to finish it off

44251898685_5d256f3748_b.jpg

Still hanging with its Anglo allies

44441336894_3685eeb2a1_b.jpg

And being watched over by my sons and my space marine (a fun afternoon and much imagination from him for the colour scheme!

• Like 4

Busy night, first up an oil wash

44300071875_e54a2893ff_b.jpg

Then a clean up, top and bottom

44300071935_ea80155206_b.jpg

45161139142_c366f2860a_b.jpg

Then some Satin varnish and it all went together!

44300071555_3feaecb80b_b.jpg

Just the 2 anti col beacons to go on then it’ll be in the gallery!

See you tomorrow

Graham

• Like 3

It has come together quickly but having just built the virtually identical GR1 it was a very similar process and I was able to counter the few problems I encountered with the GR1 with this one! 

Thank you for the comments and watching

Final post in here of the completed jet. Another great little Airfix Harrier.... 

31390469878_ce5e94eeab_b.jpg

More pics in the gallery. Thanks to the hosts and for the comments along the way, next up a break from Harriers with the B17 STGB....maybe see some of you there.

happy modelling

Graham

• Like 4