DC-9/MD80 STGB anyone?

CliffB

I floated this idea back in 2016, but without much success.

As 2018 has been a fallow year for airliner GBs (accepting that a few liners have sneaked in elsewhere :winkgrin:), I thought I might give this one last try.

Any subject, civil or military, from the DC-9 lineage.

Here are the takers so far.

1. CliffB

2. zebra

3. Romeo Alpha Yankee

4. Graeme H

5. Grandboof

6. rafalbert

7. Skodadriver

8. Jabba

There are just two examples in my collection at the moment and I would like an excuse to build some more please!

P1100185.JPG

P1100192.JPG

Cheers

Cliff

Count me in. There would be plenty of options - 1960s to present day, DC-9, MD-80s, MD-90, 717, even the COMAC ARJ21. Hopefully this will get enough interest but I wonder whether something like a McDonnell Douglas airliners GB (i.e. DC-8 through to MD11) might have a broader appeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Hopefully this will get enough interest but I wonder whether something like a McDonnell Douglas airliners GB (i.e. DC-8 through to MD11) might have a broader appeal.

Thanks zebra.  The problem with broadening the scope is that it would lose its status as a 'Single Type' GB.  STGB's have a lower headcount threshold and don't need to go through the competitive voting process in November.

Last year's successful 737 GB was a Single Type GB and I was hoping that the DC-9 would generate a similar level of support :winkgrin: 

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I'm in,

I agree with CLiff, keep it to the DC-9/ MD-80 airframes. I assume the 717 would also be included?

Thanks Ray

Yes, most definitely the 717 would be included (in fact, the Turkmenistan aircraft in my first post is a 717).

• Like 1

Really like that 717 Cliff. 

I can can see myself wanting to build every variant. Only have 1 in the stash but that can be fixed! Really fancy an MD90. There’s also the unducted fan demonstrator that I saw at Farnborough  one year. Fan might be a problem though!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zebra said:

Really like that 717 Cliff. 

I can can see myself wanting to build every variant. Only have 1 in the stash but that can be fixed! Really fancy an MD90. There’s also the unducted fan demonstrator that I saw at Farnborough  one year. Fan might be a problem though!

Thanks zebra. 

Yes, I've got grand plans too!  I build in 1/200 though, so there are only a limited number of injection moulded variants available from Hasegawa.  

Fortunately,  RetroKits fill in most of the gaps with some nice resin kits - but at a price!  My 717 was one of their's, with Draw Decals

I checked my stash and have a started MD-80, another unstarted and 2 Airfix/MPC DC-9s.

Going back to @zebra 's suggestion about including other Douglas Airliners, perhaps a broader Douglas/ McDonnell Douglas GB would be the go, you could include military and civil Douglas products. THere would be much broader interest for the BM community I would think.

I am not suggesting this GB would morph into the bigger one, but perhaps food for thought for a 2020 GB :D

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 7:24 AM, CliffB said:

I floated this idea back in 2016, but without much success.

As 2018 has been a fallow year for airliner GBs (accepting that a few liners have sneaked in elsewhere :winkgrin:), I thought I might give this one last try.

Don't forget the Boeing 737 STGB which ran from 2/18 until 5/18

I'm pretty sure I indicated interest back in 2016 and I'm certainly up for a DC9/MD80 STGB.  According to my Scalemates stash manager I have 11 Airfix DC-9s, 5 Minicraft MD-80s and a PAS B717 so there is plenty to choose from. I'll probably pick up another couple of Minicraft kits while Mel Bromley still has them. 

I hope there will be enough demand to get it off the ground.  I've been toying with starting a thread to see if there is interest in an Airliners IV group build but I wouldn't want to cut across Cliff's thread so let's see how it goes first.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:39 AM, Grandboof said:

Yes Please Cliff Being one that is guilty of sneaking airliners into other GBs 

Martin H

That's not a matter of guilt, it's a moral obligation!

Dave G

• Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:50 PM, Graeme H said:

OK, I'm definitely in for this one

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, Grandboof said:

Yes Please Cliff Being one that is guilty of sneaking airliners into other GBs 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Skodadriver said:

I'm pretty sure I indicated interest back in 2016 and I'm certainly up for a DC9/MD80 STGB.  According to my Scalemates stash manager I have 11 Airfix DC-9s, 5 Minicraft MD-80s and a PAS B717 so there is plenty to choose from. I'll probably pick up another couple of Minicraft kits while Mel Bromley still has them. 

19 hours ago, rafalbert said:

I have a Fly C-9 if that counts?

Sorry guys, I've been pre-occupied with a troublesome house move and so have been absent from BritModeller for a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for your interest and welcome on board :)

Cheers

Cliff