Tamiya Ducati 900 Mike Hailwood Replica Help

GazB

Ahoy folks, I have a question.

My uncle has had a motorcycle kit for years and asked me if I'd put it together for him, but I've run into a potential snag. The decals for the kit, on the artwork and real pictures, are white. Mine have a cream tint, but its not on the carrier film, rather the actual text. However, the dial needles and markings still appear to be pure white. Has anyone else owned this kit to know whether they're supposed to be this colour, or weather I should try out the 'tape to window and let the sun fix them' technique I've just looked up?

Cheers in advance.

Gaz

• GazB changed the title to Tamiya Ducati 900 Mike Hailwood Replica Help

Mine were off white too, and on a reasonably recent kit. Watch the fairing, it's easy to split the joint with handling . And - if you do tape the decals to the window, put them in a ziplock bag (unless you live in the Sahara)🙃

28 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

Mine were off white too, and on a reasonably recent kit. Watch the fairing, it's easy to split the joint with handling . And - if you do tape the decals to the window, put them in a ziplock bag (unless you live in the Sahara)🙃

Hmm, must be an error in the printing, but good to know I'm not the only one. Cheers for the assist, Jo, and I will, thanks ^-^/

Gaz

Just had a look at both the unbuilt one in the stash and the one I built 20-odd years ago (which now lives in the 'gone to model heaven' box)- off-white is the colour.

I doubt that it's a printing error, Tamiya don't let that sort of thing out into the market. It's more likely either the actual colour (racing white is a creamy white), or a misrepresentation of the original colour caused by poor colour control in the photographic process. Without seeing an actual, original MHR in person, it's difficult to tell what the original colour was. You can't trust what you see online for judging colour accuracy. I'd suggest either building it as is (it looks good) or, if it concerns you greatly, contacting Ducati and asking what colour the 'white' should be, then getting some custom decals printed if that's necessary.

29 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Just had a look at both the unbuilt one in the stash and the one I built 20-odd years ago (which now lives in the 'gone to model heaven' box)- off-white is the colour.

I doubt that it's a printing error, Tamiya don't let that sort of thing out into the market. It's more likely either the actual colour (racing white is a creamy white), or a misrepresentation of the original colour caused by poor colour control in the photographic process. Without seeing an actual, original MHR in person, it's difficult to tell what the original colour was. You can't trust what you see online for judging colour accuracy. I'd suggest either building it as is (it looks good) or, if it concerns you greatly, contacting Ducati and asking what colour the 'white' should be, then getting some custom decals printed if that's necessary.

Hmm, seems to be correct then. I had looked at a few images of the real bike and it definitely looked more bright white for the stripe and stencils of the name, but if all the decals are off white, that must be it.

Ah well. Thanks for the information there, Rob :)

Gaz

26 minutes ago, Wonky Donkey said:

I think you've got to the bottom of this now GazB, but for the record mine were also off-white when new (built eons ago). 

Mick..

Very strange indeed.

Cheers, Mick :)

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sort of a Ducati fan, and as a member of the Owners Club,  I have seen both the original Hailwood race bikes and a good few MHRs.

The white colour is definitely bright white, not a cream white. Granted, some of the bikes have been restored, but most of the guys who restore these bikes are equally, if not more, anal about attention to detail as most modellers (no offence intended... 🙂).