1/72 Special Hobby Couple of Northrop Delta RAAF & USCG

VG 33

Hello

I'm here again with a couple of new finnished kits.

This time these are Northrop Delta with double pilot positions.

First here is the Delta 1D c/n 42 when in service whithin the Royal Australian Air Force around 1943 

m_534656104_0.jpg

m_534656107_0.jpg

Next is the Delta 1D c/n 74 in U.S. Coast Guard service in 1936 :

m_534656109_0.jpg

m_534656111_0.jpg

And now a picture of my Northrop Delta family so far, with both single pilot aircraft I built last year :

m_534656114_0.jpg

Patrick

• Like 43

What a lovely collection of a somewhat quirky subject. You certainly have shown that this looks to be an excellent kit, so it deserves to be built and promoted. I love them all although the RAAF one is my favourite for obvious reasons. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'm just waiting for my Hannant's order to arrive. I have ordered two Special Hobby RCAF Deltas. If they come out half as nice as yours, I'll be truly pleased.

Chris

Hi Chris

I'm waiting for the Canadian as well. I will likely build another two seater in a camouflaged Spanish plane.

A Northrop Gamma is in progress and she had the same wing for strike aircraft fuselage.

Actually, the great family span from the Northrop Alpha to the Douglas Dauntless.

Patrick

• Like 1

What the others have said! The RAAF and TWA pair are my favorites, but you have done an outstanding job on all four! The 'tween the wars aircraft are not very well represented in kit form, and you have to commend Azur-Fromm and Special Hobby for producing some of these classics. BTW- what's next? (I'm seeing a Boeing 247 perhaps?) 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

Nice set! Each individual is a great machine.

Delta is very interesting as model to me. I was eeger to have Delta in my collection and I was too nervous so I made scratch conversion from William Bross Gamma 2b, maybe you remeber it it was here on RFI I think in 2015... 

Cheers

J-W

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What the others have said! The RAAF and TWA pair are my favorites, but you have done an outstanding job on all four! The 'tween the wars aircraft are not very well represented in kit form, and you have to commend Azur-Fromm and Special Hobby for producing some of these classics. BTW- what's next? (I'm seeing a Boeing 247 perhaps?) 👍

Mike

Hi

MPM (same manufacturer than Special Hobby, Azur, FRROM...) have already made Lockheed between the wars liners like Model 10, 12, 14, Vega... They are waiting in my stash.

Patrick

Thank you to everybody.

I add a couple of pictures to explain the main modification I made to my Delta.

As it is usual with these aircraft the side windows are individual and flush mounted on the fuselage. But sometimes the shape is not exactly the same as the hole so I widened the space around the windows and added a piece of plexiglas. Next I sanded everything to conform to the fuselage and I did it like a mirror.

To create the windows I cut some masks in a Tamiya tape and let them until the end of the build.

Patrick

m_534971714_0.jpg

m_534971717_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello VG 33,

I was wondering how your passenger compartment windows looked so good! The fuselage clear parts on large 1/72 aircraft can completely destroy an otherwise great model. Thank you for explaining your technique.  I think that either your technique or well designed window decals are the best option in large 1/72 models. Your Deltas are superb and thanks for sharing your collection! Special Hobby should be commended for consistently tackling lesser known aircraft.

Edited by Hobo
  • Thanks 1