This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Pete in Lincs

Krieger Lunadiver variant - MANTA

Here we go again. 

This will be yet another of my bits boxes builds.

I like the idea of the Maschinen kreiger universe and I have several of the kits in the stash.

I do find though, that I enjoy scratchbuilding much more than just assembling and painting a kit.

To that end, I've built quite a few variants using whatever I had to hand, and this will be another of those.

My apologies if some of the pictures are slightly out of focus. Or is just my eyes?

Here is a link to a picture of the official kit  http://www.amerang.co.uk/image/cache/data/Hasegawa/HMK03n-800x800.jpg

I've used my copy of it as a reference during the build. Though you may find that any resemblance is merely in passing.

I have a box full of old kits I built years decades ago and I've raided that for parts of the structure. Plus I've received a couple 

of Sea Kings (yes, Space going Sea Kings!) from fellow Britmodellers (Cheers guys) which will form the base of the model.

okEzcdf.jpg

Take two Sea Kings and modify until satisfied. Not quite a zwilling but it'll do.

The yellow one came minus it's cockpit so I used one from an ancient Revell Jolly Green Giant built circa 1970!

llsi9E7.jpg

Then take a Wessex, add half a Luft '46 fuselage either side and generally faff around with it.

uFfY0VL.jpg

Stir in a couple of Whirlwinds, with 1/24th Typhoon droptanks? on top. The original model uses Hughes 500's here.

I did get a pair of 1/48th 500's (The 'Chips' version comes with a Harley Police bike!) but why not use the old Whirly's instead?

KgkW0CB.jpg

Can you see where I'm going now? Answers on the back of a roast chicken please.

oXGph1D.jpg

The original kit uses a Ta152 wing and a Skyhawk fuselage half here, but I had a 1/32nd P-38 wing in the

bits box (leftover from the Gulf Falke build) and an Airfix Gnat so I used them.

CARftdo.jpg

Now we have the Wessex & wing on top with the Whirlies in place and you can see a rocket nozzle too.

1NZoqvx.jpg

Another similar shot. The original kit has a large gunpod underneath. My idea is to have guns in the end

of what was the Sea King tail cones. While the pilot will be inside the Wessex. Scale will be around 1/32nd.

You will see that the back (now the front) of the Wessex has changed, I used a 1/72nd canopy.

l6pbS4z.jpg

I took some outside shots. The stand is ex Corgi aircraft, bought at the car boot.

e8iedHt.jpg

The access hatch on top of the Wessex is an Aircraft wheel cut down inside a 1/24th car air filter surround.

a0P803p.jpg

The underside. Yes, that's a bit of tank in the middle (If Star wars can use them so can I). The hole is for the stand.

That's it for pictures for the moment. More work has been done since I took these, Tons of Milliput for a start,

so I need to get the camera out to update recent progress. What you see here has taken Months so far.

I hope you've found something of interest here.

Pete

Very inventive,Will follow with interest.

Oh nice!:thumbsup2:

And very much in-keeping with the original SF3D Ma.K aesthetic of using helicopter parts. It was quite a (obvious in hindsight) revelation to me when I realised that the Gustav's torso is just an upended helicopter (Hughes OH-6?) body.

Mart

I'm a stranger in these ere parts and my blood ran cooooold when I saw what you've done to those kits. Then I noticed that they were mostly whirlythatsits not proper aircraft so it's okay by me. :tomato:

I have no idea what the hell you're doing, but most of the time I've no idea what I'm doing, so don't let that worry you.

Thanks for the nice comments and, in the case of  @hendie. Shock and horror.

(Not to mention the hatemail from @Ex-FAAWAFU when he saw what I'd done to two Sea kings).

I got home early enough today from work to take some more snaps.

We are actually nearing painting time so I thought more pictures of the

bare plastic might show more clearly how seemingly random bits can

make up the whole, to give the impression of a normal model kit.

I should soon get some time to process the pics & post them on here.

They’re both HAR3s, so far less appalled now!

The yellow one was a gift from a fellow BMer. It was just two fuselage

halves minus the cockpit and with an anonymous intake piece.

I'm still not sure if it's an early Airfix fuselage.

The other came from the Airfix Sea King & Lifeboat set. 

Bought for a fiver at the local car boot as the seller had bodged the boat build.

I assembled the fuselage but was not impressed at all with the fit of the parts, especially the canopy.

I have sent a donation to the save the Sea King fund as a move towards forgiveness from 'interested parties'.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The yellow one was a gift from a fellow BMer. It was just two fuselage

halves minus the cockpit and with an anonymous intake piece.

I'm still not sure if it's an early Airfix fuselage.

The yellow fuselage is Fujimi's HAR.3, and being in need of the cockpit glazing from one (or more!) I was appalled when I first saw it - but having now read that it was minus the cockpit when you received it, I'll refrain from sending hatemail!