C-47, Assam Air Lines, Sookeratring, India, June 1945 - DONE

dnl42

For reasons I cannot explain, I find the DC-3 irresistible in all its forms. I didn't work for Douglas, McDonnell Douglas, or even Boeing, yet it's my favorite aircraft.

I'm going to use Avalon's markings for C-47A, 42-93292, "Assam Air Lines", ATC, Sookeratring, India, June 1945 on Roden's 1/144 C-47 kit.

The Roden kit is a jewel. Head and shoulders above that too too sad Minicraft offering. Well, except the decals, which can be a little sketchy. I'll need to make a few of the antennas.

c-47-assam-start0.jpg

I've never used Avalon decals before, but they look quite nice.

c-47-assam-start1.jpg

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 3

welcome aboard and it's get to see one of these in a build. You don't see many of these in GB's but they were/are such a great aircraft and those still flying will probably be doing so long after I'm gone!!

That's a great scheme you've chosen again something different but should look great when done.

Good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

A major point for the Roden kit over Minicraft, I didn't have to spend an hour or so scraping the wing to get reasonable trailing edges!

I just joined the fuselage and wings. I still need to finish the seams as well as smooth and polish in preparation for the natural metal finish. 

c-47-assam-fuselage-wings.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 2

Filler was only used around the wing fillet trailing edge and stabilizer roots. I primed with my usual primer, thinned Mr Surfacer 1000.

c-47-assam-primed.jpg

While I filed and polished the canopy-fuselage joint, it's clear filler is needed there, too.

• Like 3

One minor point: I think it's a C-47B not an A  The long intake over the engines is the sign.  The B had better superchargers to help it get over the Himalayas.

I agree with you about the qualities of the Roden kit.  The 1/200 Hasegawa one is rather nice, although you do get two C-47s not one C-47 and a Tabby.

18 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

One minor point: I think it's a C-47B not an A  The long intake over the engines is the sign.  The B had better superchargers to help it get over the Himalayas.

You're right! I followed the markings sheet too closely.

I'll need to do some research to figure out if the markings are correct...

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 1

unless I'm looking at the wrong picture, but the profile for the Assam aircraft looks to have the longer intakes?

From what I have read the only C-47's that could do the "Hump" were the B models. I think Avalon may have made a mistake or it's a printing error.

That said I've just read an account that mentioned the C-47A. That said the Supercharged C-47B would make more sense.

After reading the account of the "Hump" trips.....these guys were nuts! Seriously brave and another untold story!!

I think you'll be fine carrying on with her. 

Indeed, I will build 2 Dakotas!

What I've built and shown to this point could be a later C-47A or C-47B among other variants; none of which are correct for the Assam Air Lines or Smilin' Jack markings. Luckily, the yellow and black scheme in the Avalon decal set is a C-47A-80-DL, which does match the model I've built so far. However, the markings cite Dec '45, which is outside the GB rules. FWIW, my references do indicate the markings are typical for an ATC search and rescue aircraft in India.

Last night I got the 2nd fuselage built. I just love these Roden kits! I'll build this for the Assam Air Lines markings, which is a C-47A with tropical air filter and ram-air inlet.

c-47-2ndstart.jpg

FYI, my references are:

Peter M. Bowers, The DC-3: 50 Years of Legendary Flight, Tab Books, 1985

David Isby, C-47/R4D Skytrain Units of the Pacific and CBI, Osprey Combat Aircraft 66, Osprey Publishing, 2007

Technical Manual Maintenance Instructions, C-47, C-47A, C-47B, C-47D, C-117A and C-117B, Jun 6, 1962

My book inventory claims I have the OWM Douglas DC-3 Dakota, but I cannot find it.

• Like 4

Ready for base color coats. Both got a layer of thinned Mr Surfacer 1000 along with additional filling and polishing as needed. The front model, which was the 2nd I built, will receive an NMF finish. The rear model, the 1st I built, also got a coat of thinned Mr White Base 1000 to provide a suitable basis for the Insignia Yellow primary color.

c-47-undercoat.jpg

• Like 3

Here's the Alclad Dull Al on the Assam Air Lines model. Next up is detail painting, e.g., deicing boots, anti-glare, and a white rhombus on the nose.

c-47-dull-al.jpg

ASSAM_C-47_A-_DK-vga.jpg

Here's the yellow base coat on ChardiE. Black contrast is next on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers (not the control surfaces), the nacelles, upper center wing, and diagonal stripes on the bottom. Black deicing boots, anti-glare, forward door, and a white rhombus on the nose.

c-47-2ndyellow.jpg

SAR_C-47_A-80-_DL-vga.jpg

• Like 5

giphy.gif

I had an airbrush crisis. I was spraying Alclad White Aluminum when I first noticed very fine threads forming on some edges of the model, especially around the masked control surfaces. Soon after that, I saw some splotchy surface texture. I suspect there might have been some incompatible residue in the airbrush head. I tried to buff it out with some abrasive pads, but no luck. :doh:

20 min with Mr Color thinner and some makeup remover pads, and here i am...

c-47-2ndreset.jpg

As one might guess, I gave the airbrush a thorough cleaning. :shrug:

• Sad 1