Mosquito FB6 333 sqd.

Hamden

I believe they were all in the standard production (previously Night Fighter) scheme of Medium Sea Grey overall with Dark Green disruptive pattern on the upper surfaces.  I must admit that the particular ones I'm thinking of were the Mk.IIs not the Mk.VIs.  However lacking photographic evidence of any other scheme, I'd stick with that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

Any body know the camouflage scheme colours for Mosquito FB6 of 333 Squadron Banff strike wing 1944 please.

Thanks for looking and for any information

Roger

Impossible to know for sure unless you have a specific aircraft/time-frame in mind. It could very well have been as Graham stated or an ad hoc version of Coastal Special Duties Scheme A (SDS-A). The ad hoc variation of SDS-A is according to the research done by Terry at Aviaeology on 333 Sqd FB-VI's.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TBC said:

Impossible to know for sure unless you have a specific aircraft/time-frame in mind. It could very well have been as Graham stated or an ad hoc version of Coastal Special Duties Scheme A (SDS-A). The ad hoc variation of SDS-A is according to the research done by Terry at Aviaeology on 333 Sqd FB-VI's.

Thanks for your reply TBC.

I'm looking to build HP910  KK*L of 333 Squadron at Banff circa 1944/5 the limited information that I have at present indicates Dark Sea Grey over Sky but I'm not sure if that is correct hence the question. 

Roger

If it's grey over Sky, then it will have been Extra Dark Sea Grey. The Extra Dark Sea Grey faded a bit though (I won't say "a lot "for fear of seeing heavily preshaded models in transluscent Medium Sea Grey 🤮) but any application of liquids such as engine or hydraulic oil, grease, fuel, deicing fluids used stained it back dark again in that area.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TBC said:

I'd certainly go with Terry's research if I could be sure it applied to the aircraft I was wanting to model.

I've done a quick search of my more obvious sources, but the only 333 Sq. photos I've found are of the Mk.IIs.  However Paul Lucas's Combat Colours 6 from  Guideline has a profile of KK.K/HP862 in the Night Fighter scheme, but no photo of it.  This is dated as summer 1943, which predates the introduction of EDSG/Sky in November.  He does mention in-service aircraft being repainted into this SCD Scheme A..  By early 1945 aircraft were retaining the Night Fighter scheme for CC work.  To me, this suggests that HP910 is likely to have been delivered to the unit in Night Fighter but probably repainted into SCD-A.  If you were planning on adding D-Day stripes then you still have the problem of wondering how the codes were placed.

There are of course many more books full of Mosquito photos to plough through in the hope of the odd photo ...

It might be worth getting in touch with Vingtor, who does visit this site and has done much research into Norwegian WW2 aircraft including Mosquitos, and may have access to more specific information for you.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TBC said:

Terry is a member here, @Terry @ AviaeologyA

So this will notify him, and ask directly.

There was a site which had photos of RAF types that landed and were interned in Sweden, which had a fair few Mosquito pics,

Found the page, it in the link below but for clarity

http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/RAF/indexRAF.html

Ok, this thread may have some relevant info

My pet pedant point at the moment, wartime Mark numbers are Roman, so it's Mk.VI, not Mk.6

Though as the Mosquito was still in service when then change to Arabic numerals occurred, you do see Mk.6 then...

Ah, the pedantry gets the brain going,  @Etiennedup flickr has this

Mosquito FB Mk.VI, May 1945.

Note in the comments

flyblader.com/onewebmedia/Nr 3 Mosquito.pdf

I pasted the link and the .pdf is still there

So, not a direct answer, but hopefully some useful info at least?

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I'd certainly go with Terry's research if I could be sure it applied to the aircraft I was wanting to model.

I've done a quick search of my more obvious sources, but the only 333 Sq. photos I've found are of the Mk.IIs.  However Paul Lucas's Combat Colours 6 from  Guideline has a profile of KK.K/HP862 in the Night Fighter scheme, but no photo of it.  This is dated as summer 1943, which predates the introduction of EDSG/Sky in November.  He does mention in-service aircraft being repainted into this SCD Scheme A..  By early 1945 aircraft were retaining the Night Fighter scheme for CC work.  To me, this suggests that HP910 is likely to have been delivered to the unit in Night Fighter but probably repainted into SCD-A.  If you were planning on adding D-Day stripes then you still have the problem of wondering how the codes were placed.

There are of course many more books full of Mosquito photos to plough through in the hope of the odd photo ...

It might be worth getting in touch with Vingtor, who does visit this site and has done much research into Norwegian WW2 aircraft including Mosquitos, and may have access to more specific information for you.

Thanks for taking the time to check/look for 333 Squadron information/pictures it certainly seems to be a can of worms!

Roger

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Terry is a member here, @Terry @ AviaeologyA

So this will notify him, and ask directly.

There was a site which had photos of RAF types that landed and were interned in Sweden, which had a fair few Mosquito pics,

Found the page, it in the link below but for clarity

http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/RAF/indexRAF.html

Ok, this thread may have some relevant info

My pet pedant point at the moment, wartime Mark numbers are Roman, so it's Mk.VI, not Mk.6

Though as the Mosquito was still in service when then change to Arabic numerals occurred, you do see Mk.6 then...

Ah, the pedantry gets the brain going,  @Etiennedup flickr has this

Mosquito FB Mk.VI, May 1945.

Note in the comments

flyblader.com/onewebmedia/Nr 3 Mosquito.pdf

I pasted the link and the .pdf is still there

So, not a direct answer, but hopefully some useful info at least?

HTH

T

Thanks for the information. That photo of KK*P is interesting as it appears to show the aircraft is extra dark sea grey over sky with the wing tank in silver.

Thanks again for your time and trouble

Roger

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the wing auxiliary tanks were collected direct from the factory, such was the urgency placed on having these Mosquitos support the Banff Beaufighters late in the war.

• Like 1

There are a couple of photos of HP910/KK-L in the "Profiles in Norway" booklet by Korsnes and Stangvik. EDSG and Sky camouflage. The spinners are lighter than the undersides, possibly MSG. Norwegian service flag on the nose.

Nils

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for the clarification Nils EDSG over Sky it is

Roger

@Terry @ Aviaeology hasn't pitched in, but he listed some new sheets.  and looking at the link, there is this

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Outrider-Mosquitoes-of-333-Sqn-Stencils-1-72-scale-Aviaeology-Decals-n-Docs/282097956581?hash=item41ae5936e5:g:yTIAAOSwGXtXg88d

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17 September 2018 at 4:25 PM, Troy Smith said:

This appeared in an advert for the above set of decals (Hannants I believe) and may answer your question :-

Udjm6j0.jpg

HTH

Dennis 

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Terry`s decal sheet and it is superb,..... well worth buying for the info alone,... never mind the decals!

Cheers

Tony

Reason for edit

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Mosquito-HP910_L-starting-up.jpg

I have contributed to Terry's decals on Norwegian Mosquitos and will try to post a photo of one of the KK-L machines. In May 1943 333 Squadron A Flight recived Mk. IIs in the night fighter camouflage (Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green). The first Mk. VI arrived in early spring 1944, also in night fighter camo. During the spring/summer 1944 machines began appearing in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky (Coastal Special Duties Scheme A). Some of the machines in the photos seams to have retained Medium Sea Grey under the fuselage, wings and horizontal tail surfaces. The night fighter camouflage was painted over with Extra Dark Sea Grey without painting Sky on the undersides. Have no written proof or documentation. Only by studying photographs. Trying to link a photo of HP910/KK-L from early spring 1945.

Bengt

Edited by Bengt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/26/2018 at 4:56 PM, Bengt said:

Mosquito-HP910_L-starting-up.jpg

I have contributed to Terry's decals on Norwegian Mosquitos and will try to post a photo of one of the KK-L machines. In May 1943 333 Squadron A Flight recived Mk. IIs in the night fighter camouflage (Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green). The first Mk. VI arrived in early spring 1944, also in night fighter camo. During the spring/summer 1944 machines began appearing in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky (Coastal Special Duties Scheme A). Some of the machines in the photos seams to have retained Medium Sea Grey under the fuselage, wings and horizontal tail surfaces. The night fighter camouflage was painted over with Extra Dark Sea Grey without painting Sky on the undersides. Have no written proof or documentation. Only by studying photographs. Trying to link a photo of HP910/KK-L from early spring 1945.

Bengt

Great photo Bengt,...... I have Terry`s sheet and intend doing at least a couple of the options. If I were modelling HP91-/KK-L above,..... I would use Sky undersides but with a MSG replacement engine side panel. 

All the best

Tony