Blenheim fuselage underside

christian Boehm

Hello everybody

I am on both  airfix new tool Blen,ehims (Mk I and Mk IV) in 72 scale

While studying the future black/white undersides of my Mk I, I saw , specially on cam drawings,  a round Windows just aft the bomb bay (on starboard side).

I searched them on the rare underside photos and found it only, but obvious,  on the cover page of Cam&Markings Blenheim - Ducimus Ed N° 7.

In Airframe album n°5 (blenheim);  page 36 you'll find a picture and some explanations about it ; it's close to a small camera sight , included in an escape hatch

Both escape hatch drawing and window are omitted on both Aifix kits. But it's easy to add them

I have 2 questions to my ( specially british ! ) modeller friends:

1) ist it a window or an indetification light ?

2) were such hatch fitted on all versions ?

And to end my message , I curiously read in airfram that this hatch w

… gon,e too quick !

….And to end my message , I curiously read in Airfram book  that, for canadian built Mk, IV,  this hatch was actually set on port (and not starboard) side...

thanks for help

Christian from Eastern France

Salut!

For what it is worth. All Finnish AF Blenheims did have the hatch and the window in it. Also the Sarja IV which was Mk I in RAF configuration.

The hatch was AFAIK smaller in Sarja I which were the Blenheims Finland ordered before war and were of indigenous configuration. Open bomb bay etc.

On Sarja V (short nose) and VI (long nose) manual shows the window could be coverd over with hinged plywood cover from inside. I do not know if British Blenheims had the same.

In theory the hatch could be used for emergency evacuation. In some rare photos one can see it hanging open. Nothing I can link to, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
  • Thanks 1

Hei Kari , wellome Finland !

Hello graham

Thanks a lot

I just wanted to check if I have to insert a clear round window after drilling , ang engraving this hatch

Another lack of Airfix's Blenheim IV is the "Bubble" side window for the pilot

(same lack for MPM kit although it's drawn on the box). I Don't know if it's in boxes of later Airfix kit issues

This bubble was in place , as I know, on most following series , specially for the MTO

I can tell the old airfix had it because I built it 30 years ago; and the Falcon clear kit does not.

Not too difficult to make it scratch.

Although I am french (!!) I don't want to make the "over-known" Mk. IV FAFL desert plane.

Desert good photos of Blenheims are not too curent as I saw

I plan to make the 14 squadron Z5893 in Lybia plane ( the squadron moved to Lybia after stationned in Irak) ; on a photo showing several planes in the air, unfortunately this window his hidden by the engines; The aircraft in front is Z5893 , actually "W" plane , and not "N" as on many profiles and even false  decals.(see Xtra 72203).

I suppose it had it …?

christian

28 minutes ago, christian Boehm said:

Another lack of Airfix's Blenheim IV is the "Bubble" side window for the pilot (same lack for MPM kit although it's drawn on the box). I Don't know if it's in boxes of later Airfix kit issues.  This bubble was in place , as I know, on most following series , specially for the MTO.  I can tell the old airfix had it because I built it 30 years ago; and the Falcon clear kit does not.  Not too difficult to make it scratch.

No. it is not present in any of the 4 boxings of the new Blenheim Airfix have issued so far, possible reasons being that the Bolingbroke they used as a pattern aircraft didn't have them and that they are not that easy to mould convincingly.   On real-life Blenheims, the blisters were present from just after the Battle of France onward - so most subjects should have them. 

Edited by Seahawk

Thanks Seahawk

keeping researching I found that 14 squadron photos in desert included

> yes the "N" plane but a photo on google shows obviously it's serial Z7631 ; and this one had the blister

> also the "W" as Z5893 (and not "N" like in Xtradecals sheet) ; there are 90 % chances it had them as well