Boeing 737-200 - FINISHED

zebra

I reckon there's just about time for one more entry, as long as I keep it simple. So here's the Boeing 737-200, originally from 1969 I think, but this is a much more recent boxing.

Airfix 737

When I built one of these about 35 years ago it came in a smaller box! It also came in the good old silvery plastic - it seems a little disappointing to see it in grey.

The kit represents an early, non-ADV, 737-200 - the vast majority of 737-200s were -ADVs with an uprated engine with an extended nacelle, as well as a couple of other aerodynamic updates. In the spirit of keeping things simple, I'm going to build it as an early -200 which doesn't require any modification. Also in the spirit of '80s spotting nostalgia, as has been coming to the fore in the Caravelle build thread, I'll be finishing it as one of the Britannia 737's I'd have seen many times in the 80s, using decals from 26.

Perhaps breaking the keep-it-simple rule, I will be using a Daco clear part to replace the area above the windscreen, to improve the shape, although that isn't exactly going to be time consuming.

I've started by installing all the doors, filling the windows and cutting out the plastic for the Daco insert. I've also assembled, but not yet cleaned up, the wings and engines. Whilst this kit will take a back seat to the Belvedere and Caravelle, I'll be working on it whilst paint and filler are drying on those two, and I think I'll probably get the airframe assembled quite quickly.

Here's how it looks so far:

Airfix 737

It's going to look quite small next to the 737-800 I built earlier in the year!

thanks for looking

Z

Edited by zebra
calling it done
  • Like 10

Got the fuselage together and attached the Daco clear part. The Daco part is a little wide for the Airfix fuselage, but that was easily dealt with using a couple of plastic card shims. As you can see from the photo it hasn't needed a lot of blending in - I've added some Mr Surfacer since the photo was taken and will get it blended in a bit better tomorrow. Although I'm prioritising the Belvedere at the moment I hope to get this one more or less ready to paint tomorrow.

Airfix 737 WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have made quite a lot of progress without posting an update. It's that sort of build - straightforward, quick, and before you know it you're painting. Here it is - white and aluminium (alclad) done so far, needs some Boeing grey and some coroguard. I'll have to get those done during the week if I'm going to get it finished next weekend. The demarcation looks a bit ragged, but it's going to be under a decal so should be ok.

Airfix 737 WIP

thanks for looking 

Z

• Like 9

I keep forgetting to take photos! Nearly there now - just tailplanes, undercarriage doors and a couple of aerials to add. The wings seemed like they really didn't want to be painted. First coat of grey was fine, then I gave it a gloss coat using a Tamiya rattle can. Big mistake - the varnish reacted with something and ate its way through the grey and the alclad underneath it to the black primer. So repainted the Boeing grey, then did the coroguard, then stuck 2 big fingerprints in the coroguard whilst it was drying. So had to repaint that. But got there in the end.

Decals went on fine, but for a couple of small stuff-ups (one of the windows is wonky, and the registration on the RHS isn't straight). The 26 decals are very nice but very sticky - you don't get much of a chance to move them once they're down.

Here it is. Really reminds me of the 737 I flew in to Naples in 1984. We were struck by lightning on the return flight!

Airfix 737 WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 14

That's a beauty. Really loving the old 'retro' schemes you're using on these old airliners. Back in the olden days at Heathrow, my spotter chums and I used to call these early short fuselage 737's 'pigs' :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smudge said:

That's a beauty. Really loving the old 'retro' schemes you're using on these old airliners. Back in the olden days at Heathrow, my spotter chums and I used to call these early short fuselage 737's 'pigs' :D

Cheers Smudge. I love a good 70s or 80s scheme. I guess it’s that my earliest spotting memories are around 1980 and these schemes mean something to me. Plus I think an airliner should have a cheat line, modern airliner schemes are rubbish!

5 hours ago, stringbag said:

The 737 always looked good in that scheme. 👍

Chris.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Very nice work there fella! 👍

Thanks Chris and Lawzer!

• Like 3

Final touches done - touched up the anti-glare panel, added undercarriage doors, and made a couple of aerials from thin plastic card. Rather pleased with this one, and it brings back a few memories. Might have to do a few more Airfix 737s. One photo here, more in the gallery shortly.

Airfix 737-200

cheers

Z

• Like 7

Impressive stuff Z. Thats a really classy build and I'm a real fan of these old retro schemes. 

I'm kinda scratching my head a bit at the moment, as even though I've been employed in the airline industry all my working life, I don't build airliners??  Some of the great builds on here (this and your beautiful Caravelle are perfect examples) my sway me over to this type of modelling before too long, so if I do it's all your fault!! 

Cheers and very well modelled... Dave  

That's a very tidy looking build.

I have no idea why, but I've not paid too much attention to the Airfix airliners. Seeing your build has got me thinking I'm missing out on something. I'll be having a word with myself about this...

Tony.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1