1/72 Dekno Stearman Northrop Alpha 4

StephenCJ

I have never built a Resin kit and I have bought some from Russia.  I have paid for them and have heard no more!!!!!!!!

If and when these kits turn up I would like to have built a resin kit so this will be the first.

I wonder if Moa has built one of these?

Box and instructions.

DSC4341-1.jpg

instructions.jpg

paint.jpg

Decals.

decals.jpg

Kits bits still in their plastic bags.  I will take some better shots when the parts are removed from the bags.

DSC4342-1.jpg

DSC4343-1.jpg

DSC4344-1.jpg

DSC4345-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Stephen

• Like 4

I have taken a few bits out of the plastic bags, fuselage sides, passenger seats, other cockpit parts and door.

The parts look like they will be easy to clean up.

I am going to build the Northrop 4 version so both windows will have to be opened up.

DSC4348-1.jpg

DSC4351-1.jpg

DSC4353-1.jpg

DSC4355-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 3:35 AM, StephenCJ said:

I wonder if Moa has built one of these?

Neither Dekno kits nor Alpha models.

A bunch of other Gammas and two Deltas yes, though.

It looks nice.

And the original plane is a beauty, needless to say.

Build it!

You may contact me directly for some references if you like.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some progress.  Have painted the interior, light green and gloss black for the leather seats.  The pilot's seat is being painted.

I still need to make curtains.

The seating arrangements are a little different, passengers have to step over the rear seat (the seat back swings to the rear) in order to reach the front seat and the rear seat, both seats are bench seats.  Does that make sense?

And of course through the door nothing is seen.

MG_4384-1.jpg

MG_4385-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 5

Very nice work Stephen! I have the Y1C-19 boxing stashed away, it is definitely a beautiful little kit. The only issue I have on mine is some misaligned panel lines and the wing doesn't quite fit in its slot- I think sanding down the top of the trailing edge will help some.

I'll be watching close, might just have to give mine a go sooner than later.

Tweener

So far things are going well.  I had to fill the back of the propeller, the wing leading edge and the cowling is not properly formed.  I hope the re-release the Y1C-19 as it will make a Alpha 2 if you use the wing from the kit I am building.  I can see me buying a few more.

Stephen

On 9/29/2018 at 4:03 PM, StephenCJ said:

So far things are going well.  I had to fill the back of the propeller, the wing leading edge and the cowling is not properly formed. 

Stephen, please let the manufacturer know politely of these issues.

This is not a bargain purchase, and standards should be a tad higher.

Without our collective feedback manufacturers hardly know what's going on in real (modeling) life.

Cheers

Moa I have already done that.  He seems a very nice bloke.

I am enjoying building this kit I have ordered 2 more from Dekno and 2 YC-19 ( I want to build an Alpha 2) from some place in Germany.

Stephen

On 9/29/2018 at 7:03 PM, StephenCJ said:

So far things are going well.  I had to fill the back of the propeller, the wing leading edge and the cowling is not properly formed.  I hope the re-release the Y1C-19 as it will make a Alpha 2 if you use the wing from the kit I am building.  I can see me buying a few more.

Stephen

What do you mean by Alpha 2 if you don't mind my asking? I have the C-19 packed away and sure hope there aren't any inaccuracies, as I doubt I would be able to fix them.

20 minutes ago, Tweener said:

What do you mean by Alpha 2 if you don't mind my asking? I have the C-19 packed away and sure hope there aren't any inaccuracies, as I doubt I would be able to fix them.

Tweener here is a link to some Alpha 2 pics   www.skytamer.com/Northrop_1930(Alpha2).html  Google images has lots of images of Alpha 2s -  They have four windows similar to C-19.  Alpha 2 is a civil version, I think.

2 hours ago, Pin said:

So Stephen, it seems you are converted to a follower of the Resin Deity ;)

YEP.  

I can't wait for the Airkits to arrive.  Released from Russia on the 29th.  Arrive at my doorstep??.  Australian parcel tracking is woeful.  It seems British and Russian parcel tracking is switched on Australian is very lacking.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress.

Engine.  

MG-4401-1.jpg

Instrument Panel.  One on the left is my interpretation of a photograph, the right one is the kit IP.  I thought the kit IP was not correct but I have found another picture of IP that is totally different

to the one I made.  The kit IP could be correct.

MG-4402-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Moving ahead, and about time.

I have assembled the fuselage, made a landing light and drilled a 0.6mm hole for the pitot tube.

I also need to extend a rectangular tube on top of the fuselage, it almost touches the cowling, shorten the one on the side and make 2 aerial masts.

MG-4456-1.jpg

MG-4457-1.jpg

MG-4458-1.jpg

Thanks for have a look.

Stephen

• Like 6

There are many different versions of the Northrop Alpha and every one is different in some way or other.  The one I chose is not represented on the decal sheet, I couldn't find any images of NC 992Y.  I have settled for NC 947Y.

Getting close to what she looked like.  I have added the outer wing aerial masts and a small mast behind the cockpit.  A little more refinement is still required on the masts.

MG-4464-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 3