ThinkTank! A toe in the muddy water.

The Spadgent

Ooooooohhhh I'm liking the look of this one, think I'll tag along if that's ok?

Loving the work so far, I'm intrigued with the rivet making !, looks great fun !, very impressive paintwork so far too....

I watched the "Fury" film last Friday night and was in Hobbycraft with the wife on Saturday and saw this ....

2018-09-18_08-16-26

So had to buy it 😁, I'm itching to start this lol.....

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matt_ said:

Subscribing. 🔖

Mind you, looks like you'll be done by the time I've put the kettle on; you're fairly ripping along already! 

Welcome aboard sir. 😊 quite infectious while I had the weekend, back at work now so more of a sedate pace will be had.

1 hour ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Ooooooohhhh I'm liking the look of this one, think I'll tag along if that's ok?

Loving the work so far, I'm intrigued with the rivet making !, looks great fun !, very impressive paintwork so far too....

I watched the "Fury" film last Friday night and was in Hobbycraft with the wife on Saturday and saw this ....

2018-09-18_08-16-26

So had to buy it 😁, I'm itching to start this lol.....

Alan

Jump aboard Alan. That Sherman looks great. I’ve heard they do kits at hobby craft. I might have to give the one close to me a bit of a gander. Are you doing a WIP?

• Like 1

As wonderful as the Extreme squared book is it does almost hypnotize you into buying AK product. Powerless your honour. 🤣

29832662697_ca0dc76b73_b.jpg

these looked like a good idea. As my foray  into enamel product is in high gear I may as well continue right......... right? 🤪

With continued reading I would now need to by some rust paints, AK rust paints to go with my AK white spirit. Eh? I’m pretty sure I can use just white spirit. If any one knows different please let me know.

Any way I decided to keep my itchy purchase finger at bay and mix up some acrylic rust and do some high light variation with a sponge.

44769763171_0e8ebcac29_b.jpg

looks good. And sponged on.

44050716604_579d817635_b.jpg

That was fun and very effective. It’s super over the top but as it’s the base layer it’s a good thing. We shall see. I need to mat coat let it dry then use the chipping fluid. AK of course.😵

Thanks for indulging me with this. It’s too much fun not to share.

Hope you have a great evening.

Johnny rust bucket.

• Like 8

On 9/19/2018 at 4:07 AM, James B said:

I've just caught up and will now pull up a seat I think.  I like the AK products, and you're quite right, generic white spirit works perfectly well and is far cheaper than the AK non-smelly stuff. 

Thanks for that. I need to get a bottle from town tomorrow. 😀

On 9/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, CedB said:

… and you can buy low odour stuff really cheap, like this one that I've bought for cleaning Colourcoats out of the airbrush.

HTH :) 

Thanks Ced.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, giemme said:

One can definitely tell you're having fun :winkgrin::thumbsup: 

Ciao

Sure am. I would have done a squidge more tonight however I found out I’m doing it all wrong. 😵

On 9/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, Matt_ said:

I've only just pulled up a chair and the old thing has gone rusty already. Typical. 

Not sure how I feel about Winter Streaking - sounds like it may be a bit of shock for the old chap. :shocked:

Ha! You’re not wrong.:cold:🤣

I had planned on a little more tonight but as mentioned I think I’m doing chipping all wrong. 🤪 I used to spray the chipping fluid then let it dry over night before putting on a paint layer and scrubbing away.  🤔 apparently you are meant to let it dry but only for about 20 mins or so, then paint till just dried then wet and chip.  No wonder it took a lot of elbow grease to get the paint off on the Catalina.  So I’m going to need a bit of time at the bench to try this out properly so maybe tomorrow night or the weekend.

ill keep you posted. 

I had a slight wallet malfunction and bought some more of these kits today from my LMS. To much fun not to have in the stash. 

Night night all.

Johnny hot chip

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Mini update as I’m mid chip.

I just had to share. Totally doing the chipping thing wrong up until this point. Not sure this will be a thing for aeroplanes , maybe a Corsair but WOW what a thing for knackered metal tanks.

Started on the underside as that will be less seen and covered in gak later on. 

Here we go. Out with the auxiliary airbrush and coat one.

44790437332_c1f7ebcf6d_b.jpg

I put it on quite wet but a blast with a warm hair dryer proved that it wasn’t too much. Once dry a second coat then dried again. As soon as this was done I loaded the AB with water and gave the whole thing a light mist. Then added different grades of salt. I got big chunks and crushed some with a pestle and mortar.

30968051178_49b66cf08a_b.jpg

mainly on the edges where I wanted the ware to be boldest.

A light blast with a warm hair dryer and I could paint. 😎

here we have super light coats of NATO green (Tamiya)

29903456817_19a6e60f46_b.jpg

Building up as I went to get an even-Ish base coat.

30968051128_4451d8874e_b.jpg

I then popped about five drips of white in with double the thinner for a light high light pass.

43029027830_a3b5b670cb_b.jpg

this was sprayed to the edges and corners and some parts in the center of the base. That was pretty much dry straight away so I carefully brushed away the salt.

44840240841_f028143b6e_b.jpg

it says to use a brush but a finger does just as well. That looks pretty good for a start.

Once clear of bits I gave the whole thing a must of water and went at it with a stubby brush and a tooth pick.

30968052598_e2219f42f3_b.jpg

What a difference!!! So much easier when you don’t wait.

30968052158_2e61773d63_b.jpg

you get some clogs of paint as seen a live but they brush away easily.

heres some shots in natural light.

44119317674_17960f8c32_b.jpg44119315954_1cc38fdc14_b.jpg

and now the fun can start with streaks, filters and MUD. 🤩

I do hope I’m not being boring showing these steps but I’d like to show my process as well as the final thing.

I have the base top, turret and wheels drying so I gotta go do some more chipitty chip.

hope you’re all having a fun weekend.

see ya’ll laterz.

Johnny

• Like 11

Great stuff.

Loving the old 'salt techinique'. Haven't seen that used recently, perhaps because chipping fluid has kinda done away for the need for it...

IF YOU CHIP THE STUFF JUST AS IT'S FIRST DRIED!😁

Looking forward to see the mud go on, although it's always a shame when it covers up the nice chipping effects, tonal variations, dry-brushing, etc'.

I haven't read up on AK mud effects, but I'm guessing they are acrylic based and water-soluble? IF that's the case they will be similar to the stuff I use. You can get some nice effects with that by using it 'stodgey' or well wetted with water. If I want a wet look to the mud I mix gloss varnish into it. And again, if it's anything like mine, even when 'cured' it can be removed fairly easily by careful lifting with a scalpel.

HTH.

Rearguards,

Badder 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

That's really good.

Thanks. 

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Wow, that's some very effective salt weathering :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. It’s so much easier chipping sooner.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I like that Johnny, a lot. Thanks very much for sharing the steps :) 

No probs Ced.

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice chippings Johnny.

Can I have some vinegar with mine. LOL

Simon.

Thanks. Oh man, now I’m hungry.

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Great stuff.

Loving the old 'salt techinique'. Haven't seen that used recently, perhaps because chipping fluid has kinda done away for the need for it...

IF YOU CHIP THE STUFF JUST AS IT'S FIRST DRIED!😁

Looking forward to see the mud go on, although it's always a shame when it covers up the nice chipping effects, tonal variations, dry-brushing, etc'.

I haven't read up on AK mud effects, but I'm guessing they are acrylic based and water-soluble? IF that's the case they will be similar to the stuff I use. You can get some nice effects with that by using it 'stodgey' or well wetted with water. If I want a wet look to the mud I mix gloss varnish into it. And again, if it's anything like mine, even when 'cured' it can be removed fairly easily by careful lifting with a scalpel.

HTH.

Rearguards,

Badder 

Thanks, and thanks for the info. Your models are amazing. I think

the AK stuff is water based. Ha! Yes the salt thing, I’m kind of following some of the tips in the AK book so maybe the salt isn’t needed but it gives a nice extra “something”  looking forward to the next few steps. 😃

• Like 3

Hi guys. I managed to get a little more painting done.

44848660311_3a7eb80bcf_b.jpg

the main parts had a pass with the salt. As did the wheels.

44848660191_e019dcf00b_b.jpg

Then the base and light base paint got sprayed.

44799068372_8a0ece5691_b.jpg

Roughly flaked off it left some nice start points.

29912597997_d6e6c47b10_b.jpg

Then a real dig at it with a brush and cocktail stick.

44127896094_accfd4f16a_b.jpg29912597517_1096dc49b6_b.jpg

this was a little harder as the time between the salt and paint was about four hours. I had an impromptu visit from the folks, Plus the Cinema was booked so my painting plan got a little scuppered. But it was still a bit of a joy to do. I know it’s totally over the top but I really don’t care. 🤪 here’s the lower half.

44848660661_d6bda0c344_b.jpg

I need to tidy up the salt marks and some of the messy thick bits but this is headed in the right direction. I think I’ll do the decals next before I add any of the top weathering.

off to bed so I can hit it tomorrow before the fam wake up.

Hope you’re having a fab weekend.

Johnny.

• Like 5

On 9/22/2018 at 11:40 PM, amblypygid said:

The effect is remarkable, Johnny. Very effective for such a simple technique.

It is isn’t it. I seemed to have spooned it a little however. 😫

15 hours ago, giemme said:

:clap: :clap: Very ... scruffy! :lol:

Ciao

Very. 

Good evening gents. Looking back at the shots from last night I should have had today off. 😣

I think I may have pulled it back a little but I think l liked it before. Never mind, you live and learn. 🤔🤔 let me explain.

First I wanted to add these.

29936989117_c02610ef40_b.jpg

so I had to gloss coat. Now I usually use Tamiya but I bought some of this as it was cheaper so I thought I’d give it a blast.

29936986357_538ceb4b8e_b.jpg

Now I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the gloss itself but it gave the whole thing a darker look I really wasn’t happy with.

44153407724_1633ac834f_b.jpg

the decals are super bright but I figured they would calm down with grime and rust washes.

29936989007_c12913f412_b.jpg

That seems to work ok.

43962572425_7427f0d282_b.jpg

paint on and rub off.

44153406734_da34ca35af_b.jpg

the decals look better.

29936985847_08f00a80e7_b.jpg

but I’m still not happy with the new green colour.😥

44153406254_0d3a3bd398_b.jpg

the rust streaks work well but I’m thinking everything is just too much.

even in daylight.

29936986387_b0a3aeb05a_b.jpg

29936986687_1396c7cae7_b.jpgnot bad. Looking at it now maybe I should have done a mat coat at this stage but. Aaaah wonderful hind sight.😣 Any way not being happy I decided to load up the old Iwata and warm up some NATO green with some yellow and do a light blast on the top surfaces to bring back some of the lost colour.

29936986857_4aa108d34c_b.jpg44153410814_bfef3dc729_b.jpg

I have lost a quite a bit of what I had but looking at those shots fresh it’s not so bad. Still no mat coat so that’ll help and the small details will take the emphasis off the ggrreeeeeeennnnn. Let’s not forget the MUDDY BOOTS. 😅

still enjoying this even though a rubbish day was had. More soon.

Thanks for dropping by and apologies for my grumpy chop. It’s been one of those days. 🤨

Take care and as always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny green giant.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looked good to me before Johnny but still looks good so, if you're happy, I'm happy :) 

Thanks Ced. Means a lot. 😃 today’s light make it loot better. Now where’s that mud paste stuff. Also I need a base. 😵

• Like 2