JASDF Hyakuri Sept. 2018

JeffreyK

Hi guys,

earlier this month I went on a trip to Hyakuri JASDF base in order not to miss the chance to see some of the last remaining active Phantoms in action.

My friends had organised everything perfectly in advance - the land owner of the famous "peace towers"  was informed prior to our arrival and we timed the trip from Saitama Pref. for a nearly dead-on arrival at 8am. Drove directly onto the land, right next to the towers, located in next to, or literally in the air base. We had planned to change location around mid-day due to movement of the sun, but we found this not to be necessary and stayed put until our departure around 3pm.  The weather was perfect, sunny with the occasional clouds passing through. Location and light were so good I never had this many good shots!!

Flying activity? You couldn't ask for more! Phantoms galore and a number of welcome visitors too.

Komatsu F-15J's had been on deployment and were leaving on that morning. What a phantastic day!!!!

Sorry, lots of pictures, I hope you're not getting bored...

Cheers,

Jeffrey

DSC_0098b.jpg

DSC_0135b.jpg

DSC_0152b.jpg

DSC_0207b.jpg

DSC_0232b.jpg

DSC_0245b.jpg

DSC_0257b.jpg

Shouldn't your hand be on the throttle? :)

DSC_0255a.jpg

DSC_0342b.jpg

DSC_0349b.jpg

A surprise visitor - just one pass along the runway and we almost missed it!

DSC_0369b.jpg

The taxiway is VERY close:

DSC_0370b.jpg

Another one-pass visitor:

DSC_0390b.jpg

DSC_0429b.jpg

DSC_0439b.jpg

DSC_0456b.jpg

DSC_0472b.jpg

DSC_0480b.jpg

DSC_0494b.jpg

DSC_0508b.jpg

DSC_0533b.jpg

DSC_0574b.jpg

DSC_0595b.jpg

DSC_0611b.jpg

DSC_0720b.jpg

DSC_0766b.jpg

Underside detail?

DSC_0787b.jpg

Oooooh, the blue one:

DSC_0798b.jpg

DSC_0808b.jpg

DSC_0850b.jpg

DSC_0877b.jpg

DSC_0925b.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Lovely Stuff Jeffrey.

It's interesting to see them taking off fro right to left. The times i have been there, it's always been the other way round.

You need to get Akira to take you to Iruma too. The has lots of actuion as well

Andy

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Thanks guy!

Andy, I don't think Iruma yields anything that could fancy Akira's interest after all those years :) but I might go there on my own at some point, after all it's a lot more accessible than Hyakuri.

J

True enough but it does have some fantastic variety of colours and types as well as the  Tokorozawa museum just down the road. Perhaps he needs to widen his knowledge 😉 

Andy

Great stuff!

I'll be in Japan late October/early November and I do want to visit Hyakuri too. I'll have to stick to public transport unfortunatly, so no spotting towers for me probably. I believe there's a shuttle bus to the civilian side of the airfield?

3 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Great stuff!

I'll be in Japan late October/early November and I do want to visit Hyakuri too. I'll have to stick to public transport unfortunatly, so no spotting towers for me probably. I believe there's a shuttle bus to the civilian side of the airfield?

There is a bus from Ishioka to Ibaraki airport. You could get a taxi round the air base if you took a googlemaps picture and pointed to where you wanted to go. Possibly draw a clockface with the pick-up time on it?

The civvie side would be fine in the afternoon and you can easily walk a bit nearer too if you wanted to

Andy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Great stuff!

This map may help with planning.

http://www.oja.link/htmlfiles/airports/jp/rjah.htm

I was told to avoid Fridays as there's no flying. Also, try to get there early. Flying can start from 8am, which is why we were there at that time. It turned out that apron activity didn't start until 8.30 that day (weapons and tanker movements, airframe checks, GPU's starting etc.) and the first take offs were around 9am.

Should you try the south-east side, bring a good supply of food and water as counter to my expectation there's no vending machine anywhere near. There are porta-loos though. Entry fee to the towers is ¥1500 and the owner needs to be called if the gates are closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2018 at 9:22 PM, Red Dot said:

There is a bus from Ishioka to Ibaraki airport. You could get a taxi round the air base if you took a googlemaps picture and pointed to where you wanted to go. Possibly draw a clockface with the pick-up time on it?

The civvie side would be fine in the afternoon and you can easily walk a bit nearer too if you wanted to

Andy

On 9/17/2018 at 2:18 AM, JeffreyK said:

This map may help with planning.

http://www.oja.link/htmlfiles/airports/jp/rjah.htm

I was told to avoid Fridays as there's no flying. Also, try to get there early. Flying can start from 8am, which is why we were there at that time. It turned out that apron activity didn't start until 8.30 that day (weapons and tanker movements, airframe checks, GPU's starting etc.) and the first take offs were around 9am.

Should you try the south-east side, bring a good supply of food and water as counter to my expectation there's no vending machine anywhere near. There are porta-loos though. Entry fee to the towers is ¥1500 and the owner needs to be called if the gates are closed.

Forgot to thank you both. I went there on November 1 in the afternoon, using the shuttle bus from Ishioka station. I only stayed on the civilian side of the field, but like Andy said, this is perfectly fine in the afternoon. Unless there's some airliner parked on the ramp next to the terminal, you get a pretty clear view of the field.

Now, if only I had some slightly better camera equipment. This is about as good as I could do.

doKbkmq.jpg

Well done Pete. Better camera gear is always available at Yodabashi in Tokyo, in the Akihabara district, right next to Akihabara station. Everyone knows the shop and take your credit card!! the price you pay is -10% off the ticket price if you ask for duty free.

Andy

You will have to be quick. The fighters are retiring soon and the recce ones won't be going for much longer too.

all the pilots look younger than their planes!

andy